Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Joseph M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

86

Joined

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:27 pm

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Review

by Joseph M » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:58 pm

Just because I like to hear myself talk, I must say that this has turned into quite the interesting and informative thread. The writing analogy was spot on, IMO
User avatar
User

Sally M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

75

Joined

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:45 pm

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Review

by Sally M » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:27 pm

I perceive Roger's reply as a wee bit defensive or arrogant. Paraphasing the tone, I read 'Thanks for your comments. See ya.' And that's fine. Why worry about pleasing every customer. I decide where I spend my disposable income. And sometimes the customer is actually wrong. Some of the other replies suggest I wasn't eloquent in expressing my opinion.

Bottom line: I wish Roger well at BSB. Love the venue, the beer and the concept. Love the idea of breaking new ground - (or whatever y'all wanna call it - the semantics arguments on the forum tend to bore me). Menu-not so much.

Whoever wanted to make the argument I was making a case for another chain - well ... not.

Was I misinformed to think I'd find something on the menu that is bar food with flair - could have been. Apparently, word of mouth turned into the telephone game. Of course, there were those fries. But I don't like fries - they lead to obesity.

Did I think proprietors want feedback on the fruition of their concepts? Yes, but I'm beginning to wonder! And that's OK. I'm happy with being able to decide where to spend my disposable income.

Am I at all interested in arguing the definition of "neighborhood"? Let me just stop here and say ... "Huh????!!!"

Meanwhile, I'll check back w/BSB in two years to see what's on the menu! Until then, there's just so many interesting concepts and entrepreneurs out there to explore.

And if you wanna argue on, well ... go for it! And have fun.
User avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1729

Joined

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Location

Prospect

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Review

by Mark Head » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Jeremy J wrote:
JD Barger wrote:Our group finally made the trip over to the much hyped Brewhouse. We love the concept of great beer and food, but many of us felt the both fell very short of our expectations. First the beer, I have enjoyed New Albanian Beer in the past, but the brew last night was warmer then usual, almost "hot". We inquired about this to our server ( who was very bothered by us asking the question) and said that is how they serve it! It was the begining of a downhill spiral. The server by this point made it very obvious that we asked the wrong question. We decided that it was time to go. We drove back across the river and enjoyed a meal at Ramsis.


I have been largely trying to avoid getting into all this, but I would like to make the following point which I think hasn't been made yet-

If you have what you consider to be a terrible experience at a restaurant and instead of speaking up and discussing the issue with management you decide to just leave and post a scathing review on a public forum, then I think you are just as culpable in your bad experience as the server or establishment. How do you expect them to improve their service and fix your problem if you don't say anything about it while you're there? I don't care to debate locals vs. chains or proper beer temperature, just hoping that in the future you might consider taking a more proactive approach to your dining experience rather than assuming the worst and trash talking without giving the place a chance to respond personally to what ever issue you might have.


This is a forum about food and restaurants right? Some people don't like the hassle of talking to the manager and frankly aren't interested in "improvements" or a "fix". I think the OP was too harsh given what was reported but we can all take it for what it's worth. It's not the patron's obligation to provide feedback. I do agree that it's the best course if possible.
no avatar
User

Scot E

{ RANK }

Just got here

Posts

7

Joined

Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Bad Experience

by Scot E » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:00 pm

All of this talk / criticism of Roger's menu is interesting. My wife and I frequently cross the river for the NABC because it offers a unique experience that we simply can't find in Louisville. We have not been to BSB yet because we were waiting for a day when we could go early and avoid the crowds. We have, however, been to the Brugge Brasserie in Indy and it was one of the best / most memorable meals we've ever had---If BSB is even half as good, we may just MOVE across the river! "Hot" beer or not, I think we need to make a visit... :D
User avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

2109

Joined

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Location

Lyndon, Ky

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Bad Experience

by Stephen D » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:47 pm

All this carrion lying around is likely to draw hyenas...

Still wiping my chops clean from my recent (anonymous) experience at NABC, I have to wonder about one particular aspect of the OP's perspective. It's what I've dubbed 'diner psychology.' Sometimes guests arrive with that 'not-so-fresh' feeling, for whatever reason. The catchphrases and nuances that serve FOH folks well end up biting them in the arse. A one-in-a-thousand situation, everyone walks away from the meal feeling as if they have been worked over by potato gloves- yet everyone honestly feels as if they have behaved appropriately. Allow me to illustrate...

My personal service style has never relied on my attractiveness. I'm not good-looking, so I rely on knowledge to enhance the meal. Before I had the knowledge, I would use humour. 1997, Orlando, Fl, International Drive, Tony Roma's, Party of 20ish... just another day at the office serving tourists. I launch into my regular bit, trying to endear my guests with my own brand of self-deprecating sense of humour. They weren't buying it, at all. I kept on and on, rewarded by nothing but sullen glances. At the end of the meal, confused, I finally cornered one of the folks and asked 'what am I doing wrong?'

'Nothing, we just came from our father's funeral.'

It would be interesting to see how much of the street the OP brought into the house, conscious or no.
User avatar
User

Reagan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

131

Joined

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:52 am

Location

Keepin on the Sunny Side, Always on the Sunny Side

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Bad Experience

by Reagan H » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:59 pm

Mark Head wrote:This is a forum about food and restaurants right? Some people don't like the hassle of talking to the manager and frankly aren't interested in "improvements" or a "fix". I think the OP was too harsh given what was reported but we can all take it for what it's worth. It's not the patron's obligation to provide feedback. I do agree that it's the best course if possible.


While your point is spot on Mark, if a person doesn't like the hassle of talking to a manager, and aren't interested in a solution, and come straight home and castigate an establishment after the "fact", I question a passion for food found in (much) of this forum. Especially since the word forum implies an exchange of information, which frankly hasn't been provided yet. Especially as the response was actually pretty open, with forumites using the forum to ask the patron "why, where, what, when, who?"

It is not the patron's obligation to do anything, but it is not crazy for me to expect a poster to back up, with specific examples, their words that are designed to frame a negative situation in the readers' (and fellow money spenders') minds?

In other words, if one only wants to complain, not provide specifics, and don't start that conversation here and expect it to be met with warm and fuzzies. Even from moi.

I also hear about the concern about BSB's approach to their customer. I know most of us recall Roger's thread, the one that got me interested in applying there in the first place..."Hypothetical Bill of Fare". In which Roger laid out his plans, and opened up to discussion (of which there was a great deal) and allowed Roger to explain why. That should sum up his concepts, and quite clearly show the egalitarian intentions. Also, he has a blog.

Again, speaking only for myself, there was no arrogance, and definitely not defensiveness (have you met Roger? 8) ) meant in Roger's response. I compare his response and involvement in the forum to the recent thread about a singular bad experience at Boombozz. He simply asked to have BSB, and its reviews, removed from comparisons of expectations, and be compared to other establishments with a similar menu. I find further semantic wars tiring, especially when an established case of "misinformation" can't be acknowledged.

To wit, Roger has put a lot more out on the web than many restauranteurs, in which he seeks to inform, educate, and entertain. He has addressed the dining audience clearly, on several occasions, in a variety of consistent responses describing what he is doing here.

I (again speaking for myself) feel that mission is so clearly defined, and practiced, at Bank Street, that I am not defensive at all about a guest's impressions of their experience. If we could get objective terms used to describe that experience. I truly am confused about what allegedly went down, but as I have yet to see a specific action we can improve here, I pocket it (not dismiss it) and move on dot beer.

Cheers! And don't wait "two years" (point not missed), come and see us again! We can share our similar beliefs in over-consumption of fries (and other foods such as burgers) leading to obesity, and perhaps find common ground beyond our neighborhood definitions. It's the vibe, folks, we want you to be as happy in your cups as we are!
User avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1729

Joined

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Location

Prospect

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Bad Experience

by Mark Head » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:14 pm

Reagan H wrote:
Mark Head wrote:This is a forum about food and restaurants right? Some people don't like the hassle of talking to the manager and frankly aren't interested in "improvements" or a "fix". I think the OP was too harsh given what was reported but we can all take it for what it's worth. It's not the patron's obligation to provide feedback. I do agree that it's the best course if possible.


While your point is spot on Mark, if a person doesn't like the hassle of talking to a manager, and aren't interested in a solution, and come straight home and castigate an establishment after the "fact", I question a passion for food found in (much) of this forum. Especially since the word forum implies an exchange of information, which frankly hasn't been provided yet. Especially as the response was actually pretty open, with forumites using the forum to ask the patron "why, where, what, when, who?"

It is not the patron's obligation to do anything, but it is not crazy for me to expect a poster to back up, with specific examples, their words that are designed to frame a negative situation in the readers' (and fellow money spenders') minds?

In other words, if one only wants to complain, not provide specifics, and don't start that conversation here and expect it to be met with warm and fuzzies. Even from moi.

I also hear about the concern about BSB's approach to their customer. I know most of us recall Roger's thread, the one that got me interested in applying there in the first place..."Hypothetical Bill of Fare". In which Roger laid out his plans, and opened up to discussion (of which there was a great deal) and allowed Roger to explain why. That should sum up his concepts, and quite clearly show the egalitarian intentions. Also, he has a blog.

Again, speaking only for myself, there was no arrogance, and definitely not defensiveness (have you met Roger? 8) ) meant in Roger's response. I compare his response and involvement in the forum to the recent thread about a singular bad experience at Boombozz. He simply asked to have BSB, and its reviews, removed from comparisons of expectations, and be compared to other establishments with a similar menu. I find further semantic wars tiring, especially when an established case of "misinformation" can't be acknowledged.

To wit, Roger has put a lot more out on the web than many restauranteurs, in which he seeks to inform, educate, and entertain. He has addressed the dining audience clearly, on several occasions, in a variety of consistent responses describing what he is doing here.

I (again speaking for myself) feel that mission is so clearly defined, and practiced, at Bank Street, that I am not defensive at all about a guest's impressions of their experience. If we could get objective terms used to describe that experience. I truly am confused about what allegedly went down, but as I have yet to see a specific action we can improve here, I pocket it (not dismiss it) and move on dot beer.

Cheers! And don't wait "two years" (point not missed), come and see us again! We can share our similar beliefs in over-consumption of fries (and other foods such as burgers) leading to obesity, and perhaps find common ground beyond our neighborhood definitions. It's the vibe, folks, we want you to be as happy in your cups as we are!


I agree with everything you just typed.
User avatar
User

Reagan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

131

Joined

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:52 am

Location

Keepin on the Sunny Side, Always on the Sunny Side

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Bad Experience

by Reagan H » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:35 pm

Mark, you must be married, you know the quickest way to shut a woman up. 8) Please preach the virtues to my husband. :D
User avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1729

Joined

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Location

Prospect

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Bad Experience

by Mark Head » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:18 pm

:wink:
User avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

2539

Joined

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Location

Louisville, KY

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Bad Experience

by Marsha L. » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:29 pm

Stephen D wrote:My personal service style has never relied on my attractiveness. I'm not good-looking, so I rely on knowledge to enhance the meal.


Well, I have to take issue with this poster. How dare you post such a blatant lie, with that jawline to die for? 8)
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

J Dylan

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Posts

59

Joined

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:59 am

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Bad Experience

by J Dylan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:23 am

"Tempting. Oh, so tempting. But then, if I let it stand, it shows my respect for forumites, residing in my assumption that readers are smart enough to consider both sides and draw their own conclusions."
..................Another example of why Robin does a great job running this forum. My advertising dollars/review angles came across as much more targeted approach to Robin as intended. The basis of my arguement does have merit, but my words came across as "Robin is biased" instead of a discussion of possible alteriar (not even close to the correct spelling) motives. George W. Bush was an "Oil Man" and then made decisions to help fellow "Oil Men". This is what I was feeling, which probally makes no sense to anyone but me. Robin, please sell more advertising to restaurants so you can add a spell check to this.....I feel really insecure by my drunk spelling at the current moment.


"You make wild claims, like "unhealthy love of local proprietors." But you fail to say exactly why it is unhealthy to love your local proprietors. I feel it is extremely healthy. Both for personal connection reasons (we see and know and hang out with these people in real life), and for economic reasons (the money stays in our local economy, rather than shooting off to distant corporate HQ)."

Ford is an American Company but has factories in Mexico; Toyota is a Japense company that has a factory in Georgetown, Kentucky.

"J Dylan's reference to a post being a drunken mistake (which sounded like the Mojito's being sold to O'Charley's".......................My drunken was based upon some weird place called the Rustic Frog, unattractive strippers and an arguement with the White Castle attendent about why I couldn't get Jalapeono Cheese on the Double Cheeseburger special.
Last edited by J Dylan on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
no avatar
User

J Dylan

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Posts

59

Joined

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:59 am

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Bad Experience

by J Dylan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:45 am

Then in a BraveHeart-Like moment, I declared, "Just cancel my f-ing order, I'll go to Rally's (which was closed, meaning I went to bed starving).

"Ramsis is terrible, you say? Please tell us what makes you say that, if you want to slam a quality establishment."............I was being non-specific on purpose to not overly slam them. But if you want the specifics, then fine.........."Jamacian Chicken".........Dry does not begin to describe this dish. You can't go to Kroger and buy "Jamacian" rub or "Jamacian" Marinade and have a Jamacian dish. This made BW-3s Jamacian Wings actually taste Jamacian. "Ribs of the Caribbean"......My 12 hour smoked ribs demand I refer to this dish as aweful. "Tortellini Graceilla"..This was so bad, I can't really criticize it because I can't figure out what it was trying to be.

"JDylan, well, I was going to respond, based on what you said here, but the further I read, I just lost even more respect for you"...No problem, but ""lost even more respect for you" without discussing this privitely with me means you lost my business and my business' (we really need spellcheck) business which most likely means nothing to you right now. When you compare August to July on your books and see what business is missing, you will have a better explanation. The pre-Churchill crowd will be non-existent.
Last edited by J Dylan on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
User

Alan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

588

Joined

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Location

Highlands

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Bad Experience

by Alan H » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:00 am

J Dylan wrote:"My drunken was based upon some weird place called the Rustin Frog, unattractive strippers and an arguement with the White Castle attendent about why I couldn't get Jalapeono Cheese on the Double Cheeseburger special.


Damn!!! The cats out of the bag, you just described my Monday night getaways :shock:

Anyway, isn't the Rustin Frog that bar on the way to the boat in Indiana ?
Alan Hincks
Overtime Sports Bar and Grille

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
no avatar
User

J Dylan

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Posts

59

Joined

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:59 am

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Bad Experience

by J Dylan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:09 am

by Rustin, I mean Rustic.

Allegedly....

................I am not admitting I went there.
User avatar
User

Mike M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

114

Joined

Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:45 am

Location

Jeffersonville

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Bad Experience

by Mike M » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:50 am

J Dylan wrote:"Tempting. Oh, so tempting. But then, if I let it stand, it shows my respect for forumites, residing in my assumption that readers are smart enough to consider both sides and draw their own conclusions."
..................Another example of why Robin does a great job running this forum. My advertising dollars/review angles came across as much more targeted approach to Robin as intended. The basis of my arguement does have merit, but my words came across as "Robin is biased" instead of a discussion of possible alteriar (not even close to the correct spelling) motives. George W. Bush was an "Oil Man" and then made decisions to help fellow "Oil Men". This is what I was feeling, which probally makes no sense to anyone but me. Robin, please sell more advertising to restaurants so you can add a spell check to this.....I feel really insecure by my drunk spelling at the current moment.


"You make wild claims, like "unhealthy love of local proprietors." But you fail to say exactly why it is unhealthy to love your local proprietors. I feel it is extremely healthy. Both for personal connection reasons (we see and know and hang out with these people in real life), and for economic reasons (the money stays in our local economy, rather than shooting off to distant corporate HQ)."

Ford is an American Company but has factories in Mexico; Toyota is a Japense company that has a factory in Georgetown, Kentucky.

"J Dylan's reference to a post being a drunken mistake (which sounded like the Mojito's being sold to O'Charley's".......................My drunken was based upon some weird place called the Rustic Frog, unattractive strippers and an arguement with the White Castle attendent about why I couldn't get Jalapeono Cheese on the Double Cheeseburger special.


"what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."


sorry but I felt a movie quote was in order here :P
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign