Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Review

by Charles W. » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:59 pm

Kyle L wrote:Question:

Are people more likely to forgive a local restaurant for an off night than a chain?

Question:

Would people give both places a second chance?

Yes ("we" being LHB readers). Just like we're more likely to give a break to someone we know well than we are to a complete stranger. We tend to be more likely to give a break to a politician from a party we like than one we don't. We tend to be more likely to give a break to an athlete on a team we root for than for the hated opposition.

We're not neutral observers. We're partisans (and we may have very good reasons for being partisan).
no avatar
User

JD Barger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:01 pm

by JD Barger » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:52 pm

WOW! I guess we are in North Korea. It also reminds me of a famous quote from Jack Nicholson in the movie "A Few Good Men". 'You Want The Truth, You Cant Handle the Truth". C'mon guys I said exactly what I experienced and the title gets changed. Some of the posts declared my post as hyperbole and "I dont fit the demographic". Why is it that some posters can give the heat, but when its given back, the title gets changed? Oh well, I appreciate Rogers explanation, but he still never apologized. Roger this Forum "has got your back". And to Paul Mick, I apologize. Good Night
Last edited by JD Barger on Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:17 pm

JD Barger wrote:WOW! I guess you cant express yourself on this forum. It reminds me of a famous quote from Jack Nicholson in the movie "A Few Good Men". 'You Want The Truth, You Cant Handle the Truth". C'mon guys I said exactly what I experienced and the title gets changed. Some of the posts declared my post as hyperbole and "I dont fit the demographic". Why is it that some posters can give the heat, but when its given back, the title gets changed? Oh well, I appreciate Rogers explanation, but he still never apologized. Roger this Forum "has got your back". And to Paul Mick, I apologize. Good Night

I'm glad you have made amends to Paul, and that you appreciate my explanation. According to the definition of apology, I've more than proffered such, particularly as encapsulated by #2:

1. An acknowledgment expressing regret or asking pardon for a fault or offense.

2. A formal justification or defense.

3. An explanation or excuse: “The consequence of those measures will be the best apology for my conduct” (Daniel Defoe).

As I noted previously, life is about learning, and we will make every effort to learn from this experience. Thanks, and take care.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:50 am

JD Barger wrote:WOW! I guess you cant express yourself on this forum.

Oddly, it seems that about 99 percent of forumites can. Look within, stranger. Look within.
User

Reagan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:52 am

Keepin on the Sunny Side, Always on the Sunny Side

by Reagan H » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:54 am

annemarie m wrote:
Kyle L wrote:Question:

Are people more likely to forgive a local restaurant for an off night than a chain?

Question:

Would people give both places a second chance?
no i would not forgive a local easily over a chain. a mistake is a mistake (meaning poor service or food) no matter how one looks at it. and yes i would give a place a second chance.

Disclaimer, I am not speaking for Roger, or NABC, only myself as an employee and also a wanna-be client.
I can't help myself, but as addressed by previous posters, are more people to have their view of a restaurant skewed by word of mouth, even if that word is not specific? I am still unsure about the specifics of the server's behaviour. If it was a male or female. What exactly, and I mean exactly, was said. With what mannerisms to describe their attitude.

If JD had provided a list of these, or even answered when asked, then perhaps something could have been addressed. If a manager had been notified, if if if. While I can see JD's concerns about favouritism, and have voiced them myself, the forum response is to be expected when one uses the word "terrible" in the subject line. I won't join the game with a definition of libel, but to go from "terrible" to saying "no one cared for" the mussels (Chef Josh's specialty, held on the menu even between service due to popular demand) is a wide river to cross, expecting to hold on to both sides.

Anyone in this business understands the negative impact of word of mouth. I deliberately refrained from joining this earlier simply because I didn't want to bump the thread. I think in this case, Robin was showing nonpartisanship and journalistic integrity by changing the (as yet, IMHO) unsubstantiated claim in the title. This allowed the discussion, and disagreements to continue, in whatever gnarly growth we allow, without perpetuating a negative opinion on an establishment.

Yes, I would give both places a second chance, based on my experience/tolerance. Everyone has their own limits for food (soup Nazi?) and I have already named local places that I pick up to go orders weekly, bypassing the potential surly service and getting my grub on. And I would grill someone who came to the "table" with a complaint, without the specifics necessary to identify a problem or solution.

Again, I work at Bank Street, so I acknowledge my chip, on both shoulders. The problem is, we want JD and friends to have a good time, but this description of experience is so out of the stratosphere from our vibe that I am unable to relate, as currently described by JD. Please do come back, and give us a chance to change your mind, introduce yourself, and by all means, if you determine a problem (different than a disagreement/dislike/"not cared for" with an advertised concept and bill of fare) please discuss it with the management. There is plenty of good time to be had by all.
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:56 am

JD Barger wrote:And to Paul Mick, I apologize. Good Night

Thanks. Apology accepted, and no hard feelings.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
User

Sally M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:45 pm

by Sally M » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:11 am

Stopped in for what I'd heard was bar food with flair and that sounded like something I'd really like. My nephew was livid at the small portion he was served as the $15 plate of rib. Wasn't on the small bites side of the menu, either.

I wasn't keen on the food selection; had in mind a burger and from previous word-of-mouth, had assumed I'd find a burger, or something similar, that was a cut above bar food found at other places.

Loved the venue, but couldn't find anything I wanted to satisfy my dinner hunger from the offerings of the current menu, and I found it pricey.

I'll go out on a limb here, and say that my reaction that evening was that the establishment won't be viable over the long-term at those menu prices, and that if Bank Street Brewhouse does remain, it will have a different menu before long.

Too pricey for the neighborhood? I'm just guessing here, as I don't know the neighborhood, and the proprietor surely does.
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:25 am

JD Barger wrote:Our group finally made the trip over to the much hyped Brewhouse. We love the concept of great beer and food, but many of us felt the both fell very short of our expectations. First the beer, I have enjoyed New Albanian Beer in the past, but the brew last night was warmer then usual, almost "hot". We inquired about this to our server ( who was very bothered by us asking the question) and said that is how they serve it! It was the begining of a downhill spiral. The server by this point made it very obvious that we asked the wrong question. We decided that it was time to go. We drove back across the river and enjoyed a meal at Ramsis.

I have been largely trying to avoid getting into all this, but I would like to make the following point which I think hasn't been made yet-

If you have what you consider to be a terrible experience at a restaurant and instead of speaking up and discussing the issue with management you decide to just leave and post a scathing review on a public forum, then I think you are just as culpable in your bad experience as the server or establishment. How do you expect them to improve their service and fix your problem if you don't say anything about it while you're there? I don't care to debate locals vs. chains or proper beer temperature, just hoping that in the future you might consider taking a more proactive approach to your dining experience rather than assuming the worst and trash talking without giving the place a chance to respond personally to what ever issue you might have.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:35 am

Sally M wrote:Loved the venue, but couldn't find anything I wanted to satisfy my dinner hunger from the offerings of the current menu, and I found it pricey.

I'll go out on a limb here, and say that my reaction that evening was that the establishment won't be viable over the long-term at those menu prices, and that if Bank Street Brewhouse does remain, it will have a different menu before long.

Too pricey for the neighborhood? I'm just guessing here, as I don't know the neighborhood, and the proprietor surely does.

The menu selection and pricing is what sends me to Richo's when I do make it across the river. I just can't justify passing up a Pizza and Spinach Kase at Richo's for the offerings at Bank Street.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:37 am

Sally M wrote:I wasn't keen on the food selection; had in mind a burger and from previous word-of-mouth, had assumed I'd find a burger, or something similar, that was a cut above bar food found at other places ...

... I'll go out on a limb here, and say that my reaction that evening was that the establishment won't be viable over the long-term at those menu prices, and that if Bank Street Brewhouse does remain, it will have a different menu before long.

Fair enough, although I will point out that in spite of words spread by mouth, at no time since the dawn of Bank Street's creation have we considered burgers in the accepted sense. Nor chicken wings, even though they're a great favorite of mine. That's not what we want to do.

The issues of "menu prices" and portion sizes perhaps are appropriate for another thread. Caviar comes in a small package, and it's both tasty and expensive, but I can fry up a mess of potatoes cheaply. It's a matter of perspective. When we first opened, two of my friends observed (not to my face) that we'd never last, because "you have to feed people." Really? Placing this in the context of the 30+% of obese Americans, perhaps so. Comments like that are appreciated, and also will not be forgotten. It's what makes me competitive.

Understand, then, that what we're trying to accomplish is unusual in the context of American perceptions as to the proper role of brewpubs, i.e., our pairing our own beer (not someone else's wine) with menu items like Josh's, items that incorporate locally sourced ingredients (whenever possible) and are not coming off the weekly (and less expensive) Sysco truck.

Compare Bank Street's menu to establishments that attempt similar offerings, not to one's expectations of the brewpubs previously experienced. We'd call it a gastropub if not for our general cultural habit of associating the word "gastro" with stomach flu, and yet, "gastropub" is the word that fits it best. Maybe we still will. If we fail in the proper comparison, then that's grounds for re-evaluation.

Finally, as for priciness in the context of neighborhood, it really all depends on one's definition of neighborhood. In the New Albany sense, probably it's pricey, but my personal definition of neighborhood extends somewhat further, to include the like-minded in the metro area and beyond, and my goal always has been to elevate, not to pander.

Thanks for trying the food, and for providing this chance for me to respond.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:39 am

JustinHammond wrote:The menu selection and pricing is what sends me to Richo's when I do make it across the river. I just can't justify passing up a Pizza and Spinach Kase at Richo's for the offerings at Bank Street.

Thanks. And we're doing it this way on purpose ...
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:47 am

Sally M wrote:Stopped in for what I'd heard was bar food with flair and that sounded like something I'd really like. My nephew was livid at the small portion he was served as the $15 plate of rib. Wasn't on the small bites side of the menu, either.

I wasn't keen on the food selection; had in mind a burger and from previous word-of-mouth, had assumed I'd find a burger, or something similar, that was a cut above bar food found at other places.

Loved the venue, but couldn't find anything I wanted to satisfy my dinner hunger from the offerings of the current menu, and I found it pricey.

I can totally buy this argument, but I'd like to offer a different vantage point.

In my teaching of writing, I teach "audience" in two related ways. One approach is audience awareness; the other is audience proposal. What is discussed above is audience awareness - know your audience, know their preferences, and do what you expect them to want. Such an approach puts the writer directly at the mercy of his anticipated audience. A sometimes necessary, but boring, way to write.

When proposing an audience, a writer can propose how they want the writing to be received or what action they want the audience to take. A writer can make what seems to be an "against the stream" decision in hopes of achieving some end, but, to do so, the writer probably needs to explain (either implicitly or explicitly) to the audience why the decision was made. Often, such decisions are made to trouble common perceptions of writing, the relations made through writing, etc.

I apologize for the writing analogy, but that's the best way for me to make sense of what Roger is doing. In simple terms, he is working against the stream. He is taking risks in the name of what he sees to be necessary and positive change. To use the terms above, through his business model, he is proposing to the audience that they re-consider what it means to dine out. Hopefully, as he is asking his patrons to take a risk, he is also actively and regularly explaining (without beating people over the head) what he sees to be the benefits of his model.

Now, don't get me wrong. In any performative act (and opening a restaurant is such) there has to be a particular balance between knowing your audience and asking your audience to meet you at a new point (a point that might make the audience slightly uncomfortable). It's an ongoing process, like the workings of a tetter-totter. Price correction, for example, could well be one part of this balancing act.

Ultimately, though, if Roger was merely responding to "audience demand" wouldn't he have just opened up a place based on the chain model? In doing so, he would reach the largest audience at their most comfortable point.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:58 am

Matthew D wrote:I apologize for the writing analogy, but that's the best way for me to make sense of what Roger is doing.

No need to apologize, that was a terrific analogy. There's really nothing more for me to add beyond that.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:01 pm

Matthew D wrote:I can totally buy this argument, but I'd like to offer a different vantage point.

A million thanks for that analogy. It's absolutely the case.

And: Your point about explaining "why" is very well taken, and we're aware that in the midst of working so hard to get the brewing side up and running (today?), we've probably fumbled the "here's the main idea" explanations on a few occasions. That's the part that needs a tune-up, and trust me, we're working on it.

Again, thanks for the analogy. It's weight off this contrarian's shoulders.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:44 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
Matthew D wrote:I can totally buy this argument, but I'd like to offer a different vantage point.

A million thanks for that analogy. It's absolutely the case.

And: Your point about explaining "why" is very well taken, and we're aware that in the midst of working so hard to get the brewing side up and running (today?), we've probably fumbled the "here's the main idea" explanations on a few occasions. That's the part that needs a tune-up, and trust me, we're working on it.

Again, thanks for the analogy. It's weight off this contrarian's shoulders.

If it helps any, Im confused by the confusion. I "get" what you are trying to do. I thought it was well explained. Ive only eaten at BSB once, for lunch, and it was about what I expected (actually better, I wasnt sure if the menu would have anything I would really like). When I manage to make it across the river, I will mostly end up on Grant Line, but Im sure I will hit BSB again.

Anyway, that is beside the point, the point is, I think you have explained it well. Maybe it helps that I follow your blog. :) It surprises me that anyone expected burgers or "pub grub" or any kind. And Im a big fan of pub grub.
PreviousNext