Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

BrianHall

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Terrible Treatment and Beer

by BrianHall » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:51 pm

Paul Mick wrote:
JD Barger wrote:I guess we were not the "beer educated" type like Paul Mickey boy.

M-I-C...K-E-Y...M-O-U-S-E! Mickey Mouse! (Donald Duck!)

Sorry, the butchering of my last name and the rather diminutizing "boy" caused me to channel my inner child and break into song! :wink:

Edit: Now I can't get that song out of my head! I'm going be singing it for the rest of the day. :(

Great, Paul- now I've got it such in my head too. THanks alot :roll: . And here I thought I liked you...
:wink: :D
Deb
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Terrible

by Elizabeth S » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:06 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:The "mickey boy" comment was childish and irrelevant. It should be removed and an apology offered.

And: Why would I continue to take part in a discussion when doing so means bumping the word "terrible" to the top each time?

But participate, I will, as soon as the day's work is done.

Roger and Paul,
I have noticed this is a habit of hers. It seems as though when someone disagrees with JD, she takes the mature route and does a little word play on someone's name. I know she did this to me and someone else. Oh well, what are you going to do. These things really do give her zero credibility on this site. My rule of thumb is to pretty much discount anything she posts.
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

Great Beer, Knowledgeable Bartender, and Delicious Food at N

by Paul Mick » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:32 pm

Since the title of the thread hasn't changed, I'm going to start changing the subject line at the top of my posts here to reflect my own experiences with NABC's BSB. Feel free to do the same! :wink:

Elizabeth S wrote:Roger and Paul,
I have noticed this is a habit of hers. It seems as though when someone disagrees with JD, she takes the mature route and does a little word play on someone's name. I know she did this to me and someone else. Oh well, what are you going to do. These things really do give her zero credibility on this site. My rule of thumb is to pretty much discount anything she posts.

Yeah, I started becoming skeptical with that whole "Mojito's being sold to O'Charley's" thread a while back. I'm just going to laugh it off and roll on. :D
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Terrible Treatment and Beer

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:37 pm

JD Barger wrote:Paul Mickey boy.

Personal attack. Don't do that here.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:03 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Why would I continue to take part in a discussion when doing so means bumping the word "terrible" to the top each time?

Upon reflection, although it's not something I usually care to do, the overall content of this thread doesn't really justify the opinion expressed in the original poster's subject line. I've changed it (in the first instance only) to something more neutral.
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Review

by David Clancy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:29 pm

I think Mr.JD Barger and Mr.Baylor should meet for a beer.....just a thought...? I know I'm inadvertently bumping this to the top but hey...this thing needs to rest and only you can do it...!!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:38 pm

Elizabeth S wrote:
Roger A. Baylor wrote:The "mickey boy" comment was childish and irrelevant. It should be removed and an apology offered.

And: Why would I continue to take part in a discussion when doing so means bumping the word "terrible" to the top each time?

But participate, I will, as soon as the day's work is done.

Roger and Paul,

???
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:02 pm

David, I believe JD is female.
no avatar
User

J Dylan

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:59 am

by J Dylan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:26 am

I know that I am not a regular here. I have been back in Las Vegas over the last several months and my last post prior to that was a drunken rampage that was by all definitions nonsensical. I apologize for that.

I want to first point out clearly that this rant is in no way related to Roger Baylor or his establishments. I have never meet Mr. Baylor, but I have read his posts and commentaries in the New Albany newspaper. You seem like a cool cat and if you are ever interested, beers are on me.

Now to the point of my post. Given I am a newbee (probably misspelled) and have no history to justify my post (a quick read of previous posts from newbees shows how they are generally treated).

The regular posters here have an unhealthy love of local proprietors that post here. Again to restate my previous statement, this in now way should shine negatively on Roger Baylor. I have been to his establishments 3 times and have experienced great service, beer and food.

The original poster stated, in my own terms................."The beer was too warm and terrible......The service was "bitchy" when we questioned the temperature of the beer...and the appetizer we had was not good."

Bad beer, bad service and bad food should equal "TERRIBLE".

Now if the original poster would have written....

"Our group finally made the trip over to TGI Fridays at Fourth Street Live. We love the concept of great beer and food, but many of us felt the both fell very short of our expectations. First the beer, I have enjoyed "insert beer here" in the past, but the brew last night was warmer then usual, almost "hot". We inquired about this to our server who was wearing a lot of buttons on her suspenders (who was very bothered by us asking the question) and said that is how they serve it! It was the beginning of a downhill spiral. The server by this point made it very obvious that we asked the wrong question. ...................later in he post....the potato skins were not good. We decided that it was time to go. We drove back across the river and enjoyed a meal at Ramsis (I almost feel bad taking up for you because I really believe Ramsis is terrible)."

Nobody would have blinked an eye at this post if it was called "TGI Fridays Terrible", but because it was a "favorite" of the posters that post 27 times a day it was attacked.

Robin..You changing the title of the thread was completly inappropriate.

This shouldn't be a surprise after Robin started accepting advertising on the site. How can we respect Robin's reviews of a restaurant that pays him? Even if a restaurant has not paid him to advertise here, his opinion is jaded. Would a restaurant be more or less likely to pay to advertise here after a good or bad review?
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:02 am

J Dylan wrote:I know that I am not a regular here. I have been back in Las Vegas over the last several months and my last post prior to that was a drunken rampage that was by all definitions nonsensical. I apologize for that.

I want to first point out clearly that this rant is in no way related to Roger Baylor or his establishments. I have never meet Mr. Baylor, but I have read his posts and commentaries in the New Albany newspaper. You seem like a cool cat and if you are ever interested, beers are on me.

Now to the point of my post. Given I am a newbee (probably misspelled) and have no history to justify my post (a quick read of previous posts from newbees shows how they are generally treated).

The regular posters here have an unhealthy love of local proprietors that post here. Again to restate my previous statement, this in now way should shine negatively on Roger Baylor. I have been to his establishments 3 times and have experienced great service, beer and food.

The original poster stated, in my own terms................."The beer was too warm and terrible......The service was "bitchy" when we questioned the temperature of the beer...and the appetizer we had was not good."

Now if the original poster would have written....

"Our group finally made the trip over to TGI Fridays at Fourth Street Live. We love the concept of great beer and food, but many of us felt the both fell very short of our expectations. First the beer, I have enjoyed "insert beer here" in the past, but the brew last night was warmer then usual, almost "hot". We inquired about this to our server who was wearing a lot of buttons on her suspenders (who was very bothered by us asking the question) and said that is how they serve it! It was the beginning of a downhill spiral. The server by this point made it very obvious that we asked the wrong question. ...................later in he post....the potato skins were not good. We decided that it was time to go. We drove back across the river and enjoyed a meal at Ramsis (I almost feel bad taking up for you because I really believe Ramsis is terrible)."

Nobody would have blinked an eye at this post if it was called "TGI Fridays Terrible", but because it was a "favorite" of the posters that post 27 times a day it was attacked.

Robin..You changing the title of the thread was completly inappropriate.

This shouldn't be a surprise after Robin started accepting advertising on the site. How can we respect Robin's reviews of a restaurant that pays him? Even if a restaurant has not paid him to advertise here, his opinion is jaded. Would a restaurant be more or less likely to pay to advertise here after a good or bad review?

JDylan, well, I was going to respond, based on what you said here, but the further I read, I just lost even more respect for you. Ramsis is terrible, you say? Please tell us what makes you say that, if you want to slam a quality establishment.

You insinuate that Robin is giving Roger "special" treatment for possible future financial reasons (advertising). I highly doubt that. Robin changed the thread title, I suspect, because he felt it was a questionable slam of an establishment.

Sure, we're going to treat locals and people who post here somewhat differently than the nameless faceless chains that are owned by someone thousands of miles away, and have very little human presence in our community, and who funnel off profits to distant states (or countries). Why shouldn't they be treated differently?

It is called community. People who post here. People who live here.

You make wild claims, like "unhealthy love of local proprietors." But you fail to say exactly why it is unhealthy to love your local proprietors. I feel it is extremely healthy. Both for personal connection reasons (we see and know and hang out with these people in real life), and for economic reasons (the money stays in our local economy, rather than shooting off to distant corporate HQ).

So why is it so unhealthy to love your local proprietors??????

(If I was moderator, I'd give JDylan a boot from this forum, based on his unfounded accusations. But I'm not the mod. He basically accuses Robin of making moderating and review decisions based on potential advertising revenue. Totally unfounded and ridiculous accusations. He'd be gone on my forum)
Last edited by Nimbus Couzin on Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

J Dylan

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:59 am

by J Dylan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:06 am

"Ramsis is terrible, you say? Please tell us what makes you say that, if you want to slam a quality establishment"

..Because the three times I have eaten there, my meal has been terrible. I have ordered completely different things each time in an attmept to give them a fair chance, but the food has always been bad.

By the way, I love your place.
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:18 am

This might take a while. I apologize.

J Dylan wrote:I want to first point out clearly that this rant is in no way related to Roger Baylor or his establishments.

First of all, if you post a thread titled "New Albanian Brewhouse terrible" and then give barely a paragraph's worth of actual information, I'd say that it directly applies to his establishment. Saying it isn't related is absurd.

J Dylan wrote:Now to the point of my post. Given I am a newbee (probably misspelled) and have no history to justify my post (a quick read of previous posts from newbees shows how they are generally treated).

I don't at all care for what you're insinuating here. We're a very open community, and we welcome those who would join us in peaceful discussion without resorting yellow-journalism style sensationalism in their posts. For instance, when I had a complaint about the beer temperature at Boombozz Taproom a while back, I didn't go around calling it "terrible," I simply posted my concern and it was congenially addressed. The only time new posters come under fire is when they make inflammatory or ridiculous statements. In that case, they tend not to stick around long enough to become veteran posters, hence the statistical skew.

J Dylan wrote:The regular posters here have an unhealthy love of local proprietors that post here.

An unhealthy love of local proprietors that post here? It is true that each of us has a few establishments that we hold particularly close to our hearts, and we would defend them if they came under fire. If a good number of these establishments happen to be owned by people who post on here, could it not be attributed to the fact that their dedication to food in Louisville (and hence their membership on this forum) shines through in their work.

J Dylan wrote:IThe original poster stated, in my own terms................."The beer was too warm and terrible......The service was "bitchy" when we questioned the temperature of the beer...and the appetizer we had was not good."

Sorry, but your original post said nothing at all about food, which was the biggest point of contention with your post at first. You vaguely mentioned some sort of "downhill spiral," some rude service, and then claimed to have dinner at Ramsi's. You never answered my question about what beer you had, and when we tried to explain why the beer was served warm (because it seemed as if the server had in fact been rude), you wrote me off as the "beer-educated Paul Mickey boy." Personally, I'm a fan of being educated, but then again I guess I can't expect the same thing from everyone else. Also I notice that you're using the word "terrible" again, and you seem to throw it around rather lightly. Might I suggest you look up a less inflammatory synonym if you really don't want people reacting negatively to your posts.

J Dylan wrote:Now if the original poster would have written....

"Our group finally made the trip over to TGI Fridays at Fourth Street Live. We love the concept of great beer and food, but many of us felt the both fell very short of our expectations. First the beer, I have enjoyed "insert beer here" in the past, but the brew last night was warmer then usual, almost "hot".

If the beer had actually been hot not not merely serving temperature, then I wouldn't hesitate to complain. However, the tone of original post and all subsequent ones has shown you to be prone to hyperbole. It may have been out of your ideal serving temperature, but that doesn't mean it was terrible. If you want an example of how to handle beer served at the incorrect temperature, please reference my thread on the too-cold beer at Boombozz taproom.

J Dylan wrote:We inquired about this to our server who was wearing a lot of buttons on her suspenders (who was very bothered by us asking the question) and said that is how they serve it! It was the beginning of a downhill spiral. The server by this point made it very obvious that we asked the wrong question. ...................later in he post....the potato skins were not good. We decided that it was time to go.

At least this time you acknowledged the lack of specifics regarding the food in your original post.

J Dylan wrote:(I almost feel bad taking up for you because I really believe Ramsis is terrible)."

I have absolutely no idea what point you're trying to make here. Do you not like Ramsi's after all, or is this merely some sort of strange twist at the end of your fable? Regardless, there's the word "terrible" again.

J Dylan wrote:Nobody would have blinked an eye at this post if it was called "TGI Fridays Terrible", but because it was a "favorite" of the posters that post 27 times a day it was attacked.

27 times a day adds to your perceived penchant for hyperbole. I'm just saying.

In regards to the moral of your story, I've got to point out the fact that I claimed earlier in this thread to be hesitant to describe any restaurant as terrible. The situation you described certainly doesn't warrant that strong of a word. If you had said the service was rude to you, no one would have argued with you. If you had just said that the beer was too warm and you found the appetizer to be lackluster, no one would have criticized you. You can't expect to make broad, sweeping, negative, and as of the original post ethereal comments and not incur some sort of negativity. I thought we were very sympathetic at first, and most of us backed up your notion that the server could have handled things better. If you really expect tact from others though, you have to learn to display some yourself.

J Dylan wrote:Robin..You changing the title of the thread was completly inappropriate.

He admitted that it was a difficult decision, but as we've all said before your original headline was too harsh based upon the information you gave us. Enough said.

As for the last nugget of your rant, I'm making a new post. This one is long enough as it is, and the worst is yet to come.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:27 am

J Dylan wrote:This shouldn't be a surprise after Robin started accepting advertising on the site. How can we respect Robin's reviews of a restaurant that pays him? Even if a restaurant has not paid him to advertise here, his opinion is jaded. Would a restaurant be more or less likely to pay to advertise here after a good or bad review?

Of all the raving lunacy that's flying around in cyberspace, this has got to be near the top of the junk heap.

First of all, most of the places that advertise on this site have already been reviewed and are quality establishments. He doesn't let just any crazy hack throw up a banner. If he's already reviewed them, how can advertising affect the review?

I'd also love to know how the mere specter of advertising jades all of his reviews? You're simply not making any sense. I could debate this point ad absurdum, but its just not worth the time.

In summation, I've been writing these two posts for an hour now. I started very shortly after you posted, and now its nearly 2:30 in the morning and I'm tired.

J Dylan wrote:My last post prior to that was a drunken rampage that was by all definitions nonsensical. I apologize for that.

I sincerely hope and believe that this situation holds true for your posting tonight as well. Otherwise, I just have no clue where you're coming from or what basis you have for some of your statements. I haven't even had a chance to read the other replies or your rebuttals yet, but I know this affair has made me want to hit the sauce as well.
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:41 am

J Dylan wrote:..Because the three times I have eaten there, my meal has been terrible.

I'm not criticizing your dislike of Ramsi's, or making fun of you in any way. However, there's that word "terrible" again. I respect your right to not like some establishments, but for all of our sakes I wish you would pick a different word before anyone else gets offended. The English language is like a buffet, and we need to step away from the mac & cheese.
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:47 am

J Dylan wrote:By the way, I love your place.

As soon as I read this, a movie scene popped into my head and I laughed out loud! I don't intend for this to be taken negatively; I just feel that anyone still reading the thread at this point needs a chuckle or two. :wink:

Silence of the Lambs:

The senator snubs Lecter, at which point he gives her a long and detailed description of the man who abducted her daughter.

As he's being hauled away in chains, he looks up and says:

"Oh, and Senator, just one more thing: love your suit! " :o
PreviousNext