Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Terrible

by Shawn Vest » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:17 pm

i'll agree with most of the boards sentiments.......
you can not criticize the food, if you did not eat it

also, a slightly more balanced tone to the title - bad attitude and hot beer and the brewhouse; left because the beer was hot; hot beer was terrible at the NABC

shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Steve R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:21 am

by Steve R » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:40 pm

Sorry gang, this american likes his beer cold. I don't care if it is Bernadus Watou tripel or Pabst out of a can. I do like warm coca-cola when I am hung over though. :lol:
I have been to Sportstime Pizza many times and my Electors and Beaks have always been cool and excellent along with the food and service! :)
Last edited by Steve R on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:28 pm

While the climate in Oklahoma quite possibly is sufficiently overbearing to mask whatever "beer" flavor Rolling Rock still has -- different strokes and all that -- it really gets tedious having to walk into an air-conditioned pub anywhere hereabouts and refuse the default frosted mug. Just because it is wonderful to use one with mass-market lager on the steppe doesn't mean it's appropriate for every style of beer. :roll:

BTW, reunion's over and the baby seals have been fed their daily sprats.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:19 am

When I read the original post this is what stood out for me...

" I have enjoyed New Albanian Beer in the past, but the brew last night was warmer then usual, almost "hot". We inquired about this to our server ( who was very bothered by us asking the question) and said that is how they serve it!"

It would seem the real problem for the poster wasn't necessarily the temp of the beer when it was served - a fact that everyone seems to be busy justifying- it was the manner in which the server responded to their their inquiry (did you notice she says 'we inquired' not 'we complained'?) that seem to start the ill experience. A restaurant host could do everything exactly right but the moment your guest is made to feel "oafish" in any way, regardless of how exacting you are with your product, that's the moment you lose your customer.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:46 am

I'm with Carla. It seems it wasn't the beer as much as the treatment by the server. I know I get way more PO'd by a server's bad attitude than by a unsatisfactory food or drink. I also agree with those who feel the topic title is unfair. (I don't know if the title can be changed, but would encourage the initiator to do so.)
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:53 am

I find it not believable and an exageration that the beer was served "almost hot". I just can't fathom how that could happen. Even if the beer sat out and got to room temp (which I Dont believe is the case either) that is still no where near hot. And again, she comments that the food fell short but they left for dinner elsewhere with no comment on the prob with the food. If you are are going to make such a strong negative review at least have a well thought out logical review. I've been to Bank St once. Everything was great. So obviously, this post carries no weight with me.
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:36 am

Yeah, I think the original poster needs to clarify just exactly what happened. The post was quite short for the level of complaint ("terrible")

As a scientist and former brewer, let me tell you why people drink beer so cold, and why the big mass-swill US breweries suggest you drink their products "ice-cold." Quite simply, because it numbs the taste buds in your tongue. When they chose to cut costs by going from all barley to cheaper grains like corn and rice, the traditional flavors that are common in European (and US craft-brewed) beers are replaced by wretched flavors from the new cheap grains (adjuncts). Rich sweetness is replaced by an almost sour corn flavor. Try a german or czech pilsner next to a bud or miller, and you'll notice an amazing contrast. By numbing your tastebuds (with ice-cold temps) you can still swill it down without the unpleasant flavors being detected (as much, it is all relative) by your tongue.

Good beers are fine at room temps. People who appreciate good beers don't want the beer too cold. After all you want to taste the beer's flavor.

Cellar temperature is of course traditional in many parts of the world. In England, one keeps the casks in the cellar, and then pulls the beer up to the ground level where it is served. Thus it is cellar temp (typically in the 55 degree range). People in this country have some screwy ideas about what temperature beer should be served at, and those ideas are due to their "training" by the big mega-swill brewers here...

Cheers!
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:39 am

carla griffin wrote:It would seem the real problem for the poster wasn't necessarily the temp of the beer when it was served - a fact that everyone seems to be busy justifying- it was the manner in which the server responded to their their inquiry (did you notice she says 'we inquired' not 'we complained'?) that seem to start the ill experience. A restaurant host could do everything exactly right but the moment your guest is made to feel "oafish" in any way, regardless of how exacting you are with your product, that's the moment you lose your customer.

That's exactly what I said in my first post. I only continued to elaborate on the beer because it would seem that the server failed to and I'm all about continuing education! :wink:

However, at the same time I have to agree with Brian. The "almost hot" is probably hyperbole, and I still haven't heard anything about how the food was substandard. The word "terrible" is extremely strong, and I would hesitate to use it to describe any restaurant in town. Rest assured if I ever did, then there would be more to review than warm beer, a harried if trite server, and vague insinuations.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

JD Barger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Terrible Treatment and Beer

by JD Barger » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:18 pm

I have edited the title. Let me clarify, we did have an appetizer (mussels) which no one cared for. So to sum it up we had a server who treated us poorly and the beer was hot compared to other times we have had it. When we asked about this, god forbid the server go back and ask if there COULD be a problem, instead we were flat out told "thats the way we serve it". I guess we were not the "beer educated" type like Paul Mickey boy. One thing is clear "DONT ASK WHY THE BEER IS HOT!". I have read many posts by the owner of this establishment (Roger?) and it seems to me that the servers are, how can I say, possibly taking on his "beer passion" a little too far.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:26 pm

Actually, if it makes any difference, you haven't edited the thread title - just the subject line of your latest post.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:27 pm

Is it possible that the glass just came out of a dishwasher? That might account for the temp issue. I just had a triple over there last week that was served fairly cool in a Chimay glass,it was most excellent.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:49 pm

If your not a beer geek or don't appreciate "passion" for beer then you may not fit into the demographic that this type of place is targeted to.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:20 pm

Brian Curl wrote:If your not a beer geek or don't appreciate "passion" for beer then you may not fit into the demographic that this type of place is targeted to.

Good point Brian.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Terrible Treatment and Beer

by Paul Mick » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:41 pm

JD Barger wrote:I guess we were not the "beer educated" type like Paul Mickey boy.

M-I-C...K-E-Y...M-O-U-S-E! Mickey Mouse! (Donald Duck!)

Sorry, the butchering of my last name and the rather diminutizing "boy" caused me to channel my inner child and break into song! :wink:

If I came across as belittling to you at all, I apologize. I thought I made that clear in my last post, but apparently not. I try very hard not to come off as snobbish or elitist. When it comes to beer, wine, bourbon, food, etc., I'm just very passionate and I want to help other people understand why I feel the way I do so that they can capture the same joy that I've found in my various pastimes. I also consider myself to be a student (figuratively and literally), so I constantly try and learn from other people who are more knowledgeable than I am. I guess I sometimes just tend to assume that other people are interested in learning as well. After all, isn't this forum really about sharing insight, information, and knowledge?

Edit: Now I can't get that song out of my head! I'm going be singing it for the rest of the day. :(
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:59 pm

The "mickey boy" comment was childish and irrelevant. It should be removed and an apology offered.

And: Why would I continue to take part in a discussion when doing so means bumping the word "terrible" to the top each time?

But participate, I will, as soon as the day's work is done.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
PreviousNext