Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Hubbards Lane Kroger Expansion

no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:00 pm

st. matthews

Hubbards Lane Kroger Expansion

by Ellen White » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:46 am

Just read on the CJ website that the Kroger at Westport/Hubbards is planning a 6000-7000 foot expansion at the back of the store, plus a "significant interior update". This will be a 36 week project. There will be a presentation at the St. Matthews City Council meeting on 7/28 at 7pm at St. Matthews City Hall on Grandview Avenue.

Great, more construction. I may as well not ever try to leave my house!
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Hubbards Lane Kroger Expansion

by Mark R. » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:00 pm

Here's a link to the article: Kroger Expansion
The expansion is going to be for more than a storage, they're going to also expand the fresh foods and delicatessen sections of the store. Good news for Saint Matthew's.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:32 pm

Mark R. wrote:Here's a link to the article: Kroger Expansion
The expansion is going to be for more than a storage, they're going to also expand the fresh foods and delicatessen sections of the store. Good news for Saint Matthew's.

I guess it's good news, although that store is about the size of two football fields already.
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Yea, two football fields is right! After working all day, having to go into such a store is an absolute pain in the rump! I tend to shop the perimeter of the store, i.e. produce, deli, then on to dairy! uggh! . I hate it.

I cannot wait for the Fresh Market to open, I will be able to walk there, and will not be near exhausted after the shopping trip!
no avatar
User

Bill R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 am

Middletown

by Bill R » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:53 pm

[
I guess it's good news, although that store is about the size of two football fields already.[/quote]

Think of it as power walking!
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:09 pm

I've sworn off Kroger. I can't stand having to walk that far in one store for a few items. I stop at Doll's on 42 quite a bit. It's the size a supermarket was 25 years ago. Lotsa Pasta, Paul's, Mike Best Meats and Whole Foods along with Doll's make up 90% of my grocery shopping. I try to get by Sea Food Connection if it's before 6:00 pm.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:55 pm

Heather Y wrote:Yea, two football fields is right! After working all day, having to go into such a store is an absolute pain in the rump! I tend to shop the perimeter of the store, i.e. produce, deli, then on to dairy! uggh! . I hate it.

I cannot wait for the Fresh Market to open, I will be able to walk there, and will not be near exhausted after the shopping trip!

Yeah, that place is HUGE! Surely they won't close the store during the renovation?

While they're at it, maybe they can finish up the 20-year-old Watterson exchange project...
no avatar
User

JD Barger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:01 pm

by JD Barger » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:47 pm

I hope it will not be a traffic mess!
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:49 am

Sure Kroger is a big store, which can be seen as bad for little guys. And they're not particularly local. But there are reasons to support them. They are union, unlike a certain other massive player (Walmart) that they are in direct competition with. If they do not effectively compete, you'll be left with no more Kroger, just more Walmarts and a handful of extremely expensive tiny stores.

Price alone prevents much of our community from shopping at places like Dolls, Whole Foods, etc. I know food is a priority for a lot of people here, but if ya' ain't got the money, ya' ain't got the money. Kroger fills a need for a significant section of our population.

If the main reason one doesn't like them is because you get tired walking across the store, you've got much more important things to worry about (personal health). (feel free to pm me for some workout tips) (no offense intended to anyone). Walking really is quite good for you. My dad is 66, and he walks 5-10 miles a day!

Cheers
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:32 am

MarieP wrote:Yeah, that place is HUGE! Surely they won't close the store during the renovation?

I'm sure they won't, the last time they remodeled and expanded the Middletown store they did the store in sections and never closed to it, it was hard to find stuff for awhile but at least it stayed open.

While they're at it, maybe they can finish up the 20-year-old Watterson exchange project...

In case you haven't looked recently work is going very rapidly on this project. Half the bridge is completed and the widening of the road into Saint Matthew's is well underway. It's supposed to be completed sometime next year. Now if we could just get some of our other highway projects underway (Hurstborn at I-64 for example).

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:21 am

Nimbus Couzin wrote:Sure Kroger is a big store, which can be seen as bad for little guys. And they're not particularly local. But there are reasons to support them. They are union, unlike a certain other massive player (Walmart) that they are in direct competition with. If they do not effectively compete, you'll be left with no more Kroger, just more Walmarts and a handful of extremely expensive tiny stores.

Good points, Nimbus. I do tend to support the "expensive" tiny stores, but Kroger is our go-to grocery for staples and supplies, and their union status is a significant factor in this choice.

Right about physical fitness, too. I think, though, that a lot of us are having fun with this topic simply because you have to chuckle at a very large store that has undergone at least a couple of major expansions now expanding yet again.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:27 am

Robin Garr wrote:but Kroger is our go-to grocery for staples and supplies, and their union status is a significant factor in this choice.

I hope this comment refers to how they treat their employees and how much they pay them, not truly because they have a union! I truly don't think in today's world unions have a place in most industries in the United States. In their day unions provided a great pathway to progress safety and other needed improvements in the workplace, today all they do is protect poor workers, prevent good workers from advancing and providing income for union officials.

Making buying choices based on employee treatment is a positive thing making the decision based on union or nonunion just makes no sense.

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:34 am

Mark R. wrote:I truly don't think in today's world unions have a place in most industries in the United States.

Let's agree to disagree, and talk about food instead. :)
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:41 pm

My Dear, dear Nimbus,

I think the two hours of Pilates, 16-20 miles of walking per week,and working in a restaurant that is in a 90 year old house (three flights of stairs) can be considered exercise.

I really do not want to walk from one end to another in a Kroger to fetch deli, or produce, and then dairy!

As far as Unions go....? Never mind.