Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Velocity praises five pizzae

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Velocity praises five pizzae

by Robin Garr » Sat May 19, 2007 8:43 am

Velocity's Lisa Hornung samples pizza this week and comes up with an idiosyncratic list of five specific pies from local purveyors that she says "can hold their own with anything the more traditional pizza towns are slicing up."

[url=http://www.velocityweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070516/VELOCITY01/705160872/1065]<B>Food & Drink</b>
Slices of Life
Louisville is a city that loves its pizza. Here are five great pies.[/url]

The Garden Za
<b>Za's Pizza Pub</b>
1573 Bardstown Road

The Pignolata
<b>Jockamo's</b>
983 Goss Ave.

The Big Wick
<b>Wick's Pizza</b>
Several locations

The Veggie Pizza
<b>Spinelli's Pizzeria</b>
614 Baxter Ave.

The Pollotate
<b>Tony BoomBozz</b>
Various locations
no avatar
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Mon May 21, 2007 8:30 am

I love the Pignolata from Jockamo's. I live right around the corner from them and eat that pizza way more often than I should!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 21, 2007 8:53 am

Erin Riedel wrote:I love the Pignolata from Jockamo's. I live right around the corner from them and eat that pizza way more often than I should!

The new Jockamo's has really good pizza. I hope they thrive ... funny, even though we live in the city, it's not really on my usual beaten path and I rarely think of going over there.

Mmmm ... pizza ...
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Velocity praises five pizzae

by Ron Johnson » Mon May 21, 2007 9:07 am

Robin Garr wrote:Velocity's Lisa Hornung samples pizza this week and comes up with an idiosyncratic list of five specific pies from local purveyors that she says "can hold their own with anything the more traditional pizza towns are slicing up."

Please.
no avatar
User

John NA

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

by John NA » Tue May 22, 2007 8:57 am

Any pizza list of great pizzas that doesn't include Luigi's is suspect.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 22, 2007 10:10 am

John NA wrote:Any pizza list of great pizzas that doesn't include Luigi's is suspect.

Well, in fairness I think it was presented more as a random list of favorites than a canonical list of the city's five best. As a practical matter, you're going to get that in food writing, and I certainly do it myself.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue May 22, 2007 10:13 am

My problem is that the article lapses into hyperbole when it says that these can compete with any pizza in the country. Boombooz, yes. The rest, while good pizza, are not at that level.