Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Valu Market Curbside Service?

User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

Valu Market Curbside Service?

by Laura SS » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:17 pm

Has anyone used the Curbside Direct Service at Valu Market (particularly the Highlands location)?

Apparently you order and pay for your groceries online, then drive over to pick them up -- or pay a little extra and have them delivered. First time's free, after that it's $5.95.

I'm curious about this after hearing a co-worker discussing it, but I'd love to hear from anyone who's already tried it! Or even opinions on why you would or wouldn't try it ....
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:55 pm

I'd definitely give them a try if you have need for that service - the management and staff of the Highlands Valu Market seem to have things pretty well in hand. Always cheerful and helpful. I've been meaning to switch my prescriptions over there from Walgreen's...
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

Curbside Service

by TanyaD » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:27 pm

It seems to me as though it would take almost as long to pick out your groceries online as it would going to the store, but I can see how it would be very helpful for some people.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

Re: Curbside Service

by Gretchen D. » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:57 pm

TanyaD wrote:It seems to me as though it would take almost as long to pick out your groceries online as it would going to the store, but I can see how it would be very helpful for some people.

Do you have kids? Even if it takes just as long to pick out your groceries online, you can do it after the kids are in bed, or at midnight for that matter!! That is a HUGE bonus. I have been wanting to try this also and would like to hear from someone who has done it. With a spouse who travels for a living, I have on numerous occaisions had to do 2 hour shopping trips with three, YES 3, kids. It was painful for all of us :x ! It's a great service they are offering.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Curbside Service

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:58 pm

TanyaD wrote:It seems to me as though it would take almost as long to pick out your groceries online as it would going to the store, but I can see how it would be very helpful for some people.

I also kind of like to look at what I'm buying, sniff the fish, look at the steak, feel the green pepper, pinch the peach ... funny, though, I'll buy wine online without a second thought.
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by TanyaD » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:45 am

Nope, no kids--that's why I said that I could see how it would be helpful for some people (i.e., people with children, people who have trouble walking, etc.), just not for me personally.

Plus, I'm one of those kinds of shoppers who will go into a store for a couple of things, and see stuff on sale for a really great price and walk out with 20 items, so this would make me miss out on all those great bargains!
no avatar
User

jean smith

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:51 pm

LaGrange

by jean smith » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:19 pm

I looooove VM's curbside service. LOVE IT! I love to cook, but hate grocery shopping. I used to run a restaurant fulltime and had 5 kids at home and this was heaven 'sent' for me. They do a really nice job of contacting you if there's a question about your order or if they have a better cut of meat on sale than what you ordered. You can manage a much better job of price and nutritional comparisons while sitting on your bum at the computer, than standing in the grocery aisle, too.
Now listen carefully . . . when you pick up your order, you drive up to a box (similar to a fast food place) and tell them that you're there for your order. They tell you to pull up to the curb and they load every last thing in your car - rain, snow, wind or whatever and you don't even step foot out of your car!! I usually average between 10 - 15 bags of groceries, so this is a nice feature for me. Did I mention that I love it?
no avatar
User

Lori R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

East End, Louisville

Curbside Pick-up

by Lori R. » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:11 pm

I love this service! I do not use it every week, but I also HATE HATE HATE grocery shopping and will go online and buy things that are standard. The only thing about VM that I do not like, is most of their meats are packaged in "family portions". Yes, I know I can freeze what I don't use, but I usually forget about it and find it 5 months later. However, this won't stop me from shopping online. I use the location on Hurstbourne, so not sure if the Highland's location is the same, but they do not have a huge selection of fresh herbs. I have figured out things i need ot stop at Paul's for...and everything else I either shop for online, or ask dear hubby to go to the grocery. I have only had two instances wher ethey flubbed up, and they had someone drive out the correct groceries immediately. I think they do a great job.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:35 pm

Plus, I'm one of those kinds of shoppers who will go into a store for a couple of things, and see stuff on sale for a really great price and walk out with 20 items, so this would make me miss out on all those great bargains![/quote]

Hey Tanya, I am also one of those who likes to get the sale items. One of the nice features of VM web shopping is that you can go to a category or search for something and have the items listed in order by price, so the cheapest things are listed first. Also, all sale items are in blue while regular priced items are in black. To me, it is actually easier to spy a good deal than going to the store (but then at the store, I am distracted by "Mommy, can we get this????"). :lol:
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

VM web site

by TanyaD » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:35 am

That does sound like a great feature!
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

I have used their service a few times

by jpdurbin » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:44 pm

I do not have a lot of spare time plus cannot get out to shop easily. I was happy to see http://www.Valumarket.com start this wonderful service. It is great for buying mainstays and other obscure items in quantity. I usually fill my pantry, fridge and cupboards. They also have many specials listed. Even though they have a great selection online, I do tend to drop in periodically and look through the shelves for items I may have missed on the online order.

Great service,
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com