Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Highland Fish offers forumites a deal on softshell crabs

by Robin Garr » Fri May 18, 2007 11:29 am

Gary at Highland Fish in Middletown just passed along this generous offer to LouisvilleHotBytes forum participants:

"Just wanted to let you know we just received our first shot of Fresh Soft Shell Crabs. They are the Primes. These are fully cleaned and ready to cook. Our price are $4.99 each. As a special bonus, if people from the Louisville Hotbytes site call and order their price will be $4.59 each. We have a very limited supply for Friday and Saturday."

<B>Highland Fish Co.</B>
12121 Shelbyville Road
254-3474
http://www.highlandfish.com
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Fri May 18, 2007 12:14 pm

Never had these but might pick some up. Are these blue crabs?

What is the best way to prepare them? Did a search online and frying seems to be poplular and looks good.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Fri May 18, 2007 12:37 pm

Brian
I've had fried soft shelled crab sandwiches all along the Eastern seaboard and they are delicious with some of the tartare sauce from a previoius thread.
At home though I just dredge them in some seasoned flour and saute with butter and oil, lemon and parsley. Maybe some capers or slivered almonds.
They are, indeed, blue crabs that have just molted and you eat the entire thing, shell and all. Some people are put off by this but I love the crunch of the shell, especially the claws which are like little crabby potato chips.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Fri May 18, 2007 12:49 pm

ok, thanks Gary.