Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Marsha's Lemon Sunshine cake recipe

by Deb Hall » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:45 pm

Folks,

The recipe was featured in today's C-J requested recipes section. Congrats, Marsha !

So inquiring minds want to know: do they still make and sell it at Cafe LouLou, or is that your own recipe? Just wondering if even more disappointed folks are going to show up at LouLou, and have to leave w/o a slice of Marsha's wonderful cake...

Thanks so much for the recipe, Marsha. I'm planning make one this weekend. :D

Deb
no avatar
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

Re: Marsha's Lemon Sunshine cake recipe

by Steve A » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:17 pm

"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:23 pm

I took the recipe with me, and as far as I know they had no plans to keep making it - but of course, now they have the recipe. :? Ron Mikulak had said it would be published weeks ago, and frankly I'd just assumed he'd heard I'd left Lou Lou and decided not to publish it. Whoops!

They're welcome to it, though. A monkey could make it! It's good, but it's not rocket science or anything.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:27 pm

Marsha L. wrote:I took the recipe with me, and as far as I know they had no plans to keep making it - but of course, now they have the recipe. :? Ron Mikulak had said it would be published weeks ago, and frankly I'd just assumed he'd heard I'd left Lou Lou and decided not to publish it. Whoops!

They're welcome to it, though. A monkey could make it! It's good, but it's not rocket science or anything.

Well, this monkey's making it on Saturday. Yum!

Deb
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Deb Hall wrote:
Well, this monkey's making it on Saturday. Yum!

Deb

Deb - go the extra mile and color the frosting yellow. Bring the sunshine! The picture in the Courier is of the one they made in their test kitchen, and they left the frosting white. I prefer the all-yellow version.

Let me know how it turns out!
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Mary Beth D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:40 pm

Prospect

by Mary Beth D » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:50 pm

I'll be making it this weekend as well - for my birthday! And since my son doesn't like lemon, that means more for me! I was afraid I would never get the chance to have this much talked about delicacy, so thanks, Marsha!
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:52 pm

You're very welcome, Mary Beth. I'm amazed and humbled that so many people liked it so much.
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:54 am

Is there anyplace that is making it absence of Marsha's skills in the Kitchen?
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

AlisonU

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:35 am

East End Louisville

by AlisonU » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:01 pm

I am one of the few forum members who admit to reading the C-J and I knew at 7am that he probably had no idea of his timing. It does look easy to make,Marsha, but the amount of time and ingredients would make it easier for us non-bakers to just go buy a slice :D
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:09 pm

AlisonU wrote:I am one of the few forum members who admit to reading the C-J and I knew at 7am that he probably had no idea of his timing. It does look easy to make,Marsha, but the amount of time and ingredients would make it easier for us non-bakers to just go buy a slice :D

Alison, you could try the shortcut version with the cake mix plus. As long as you do my scratch frosting recipe to go on it, you won't be sorry!
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Laura T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Louisville, KY

by Laura T » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:16 pm

Mine is in the oven now! Only one complaint, Marsha. Ten ounces of cream cheese but it comes in 8 oz. packages. D'oh! :cry: I'm sure it had to be done. . .*sigh* I just had to give you crap about that. ;)
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:03 pm

I feel you on that, Laura. You'll probably be even madder when you have 5 ounces of frosting left over *ducks*

Seriously, though - at Lou Lou (and most restaurants) you get cream cheese in 3 pound logs. I really should have thought about that when re-writing the recipe.

You should just get some great bagels and french bread for the leftovers. Mix the cream cheese with Mae Ploy sauce and diced carmelized pears...
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:21 pm

Since i restocked my pantry i have almost everything for this... :wink: :wink: :wink:

My question is this, i bough salted and unsalted butter, cuz i really didn't know which i should be using in stuff. Plus they were on sale with a savings of 3 bucks! Which should i use?

Also, can i sub cream for the half and half in the cake? Does it make a difference? (Hope this question doesnt bother you! Note: i DO NOT bake.)
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:02 am

by Sarita C » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:30 pm

Listen folks..baking and a bit of cooking is all about chemistry. A good cook that knows the recipe that they created well is the only one who knows it. A little too much of this or that, too sweet, salty, not fresh enough, dry or wet enough will ruin the dish.

I'm sure all of ya'll know this and there will be by the end of the weekend at least 2 dozen dozen or so saying from this one recipe.."just not the same".;-)

That is the definitive moment where a cook KNOWS that they have made something truly special.
When they are the only one who can make the dish that everyone cant.

The one thing you can do is share the dish that everyone wants...and that is when it becomes divine.
(Yeah! Marsha!)

Best to all,

Sarita
Last edited by Sarita C on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:33 pm

Sarita C wrote:Listen folks..baking and a bit of cooking is all about chemistry. A good cook that knows the recipe that they created well is the only one who knows it. A little too much of this or that, too sweet, salty, not fresh enough, dry or wet enough will ruin the dish.

I'm sure all of ya'll know this and there will be by the end of the weekend at least 2 dozen dozen or so saying from this one recipe.."just not the same".;-)

That is the definitive moment where a cook KNOWS that they have made something truly special.
When they are the only ones who can make the dish that everyone cant.

The one thing you can do is share the dish that everyone wants...and that is when it becomes divine.
(Yeah! Marsha!)

Best to all,

Sarita

touche
Next