Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Damon M Barnes

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 18, 2009 11:54 am

Highlands

Favorite Fish Taco in town?

by Damon M Barnes » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:26 am

I have to go with El Mundo...and I have had one at the following places too.
El Mundo
Ramsi's
Monkey Wrench
Bazo's
Long John Silver's (I will admit it wasn't in Louisville). LOL
The seafood market over in St. Matthews.
no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

Re: Favorite Fish Taco in town?

by Kyle L » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:28 am

La Perla del Pacifico
no avatar
User

Damon M Barnes

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Damon M Barnes » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:29 am

Kyle L wrote:La Perla del Pacifico
Where's that located?
no avatar
User

Sally M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:45 pm

by Sally M » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:37 am

El Mundo!
no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:40 am

La Perla del Pacifico
2840 Goose Creek Rd

I think it's one of, if not the best, Mexican eateries in the city.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:43 am

We must try La Perla. I eat fish tacos nearly every where I go that offers them, and make them at home too. El Mundo's fish tacos are absolutely the worst I have ever had. Sol Aztecas are tasty, but strange. All the ingredients are chopped, so if you can get past the appearance, they taste good. Other than that, no standouts that I've found so far. But a trip to La Perla is at the top of our list!
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:49 am

Seviche. Hands down. Ask for the jalapeno puree sauce and the jalapeno rojo on the side. Then customize to your liking.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:54 am

Depends on how you define it, frankly. El Mundo's is an excellent fish entree, but it's very different from the San Diego-style fish taco served at Bazo's and other places. I wouldn't really compare them but would rate El Mundo and Bazo's separately as tops in their categories.
no avatar
User

Damon M Barnes

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Damon M Barnes » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:25 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Depends on how you define it, frankly. El Mundo's is an excellent fish entree, but it's very different from the San Diego-style fish taco served at Bazo's and other places. I wouldn't really compare them but would rate El Mundo and Bazo's separately as tops in their categories.
I would agree with that. I normally like the San Diego-style much better, but I wasn't impressed with Bazo's at all. I've only been once so it could have been a bad outing.
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:07 pm

I just had a really good fish taco at Santa Fe...it came w/ a delicious and savory tomato sauce.
no avatar
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:38 pm

Kyle L wrote:La Perla del Pacifico
2840 Goose Creek Rd

I think it's one of, if not the best, Mexican eateries in the city.

Agree wholeheartedly. Try the crab salad (I don't remember the menu name). It's fabulous. Everything we've had at La Perla has been great.
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:51 pm

We joined some friends last night at CQ. It was a wonderful evening on the patio and that's saying a lot, since I'm already on record as not liking to eat outside at all. But last night was lovely! And, 3 out of 4 people in my happy group ordered the fish tacos.

These are definitely not La Jolla sytle. These were on a 6" flour tortilla, a strip of ahi tuna, rare, about 1" wide by 2.5" long, a bit of red onions I believe, pineapple chunks and a creamy wasabi sauce. They had a bit of a kick. This was some fine food. There were three to the order. My only complaint was that they were $9.50. I'd say two of them would have been an appetizer. And I also thought that there needed to be some crunch on the plate, like something as simple as some kettle chips.

A completely different interpretation of the fish taco and really tasty. The tuna was fresh an perfectly cooked, the pineapple was juicy and fresh and that wasabi cream sauce . . . mmm.
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:05 pm

Seafood Connection!

I love the fact that I can peruse the fresh fish case and select whatever catches my eye.

Ben's very good at creating toppings that compliment whatever fish I choose. The deep fried capers are a flavorful treat that I always include.

To those who've not visited, they're a very simple lunch counter seating approx. 8-10 diners. Lunch only served 11:30 - 2:30.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:32 pm

http://killertacos.com/

Far from Louisville, but the best tacos I have ever had. The fish and kalua pork tacos are almost worth the flight on their own.

If you ever make it to Hawaii make sure you have one or six.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:25 pm

The wife and I just tried the fish "tacos" at La Perla del Pacifico and were were both highly disappointed. I don't even know if I can call them tacos. I would have to call them empanadas, not tacos. They were fish in a tortilla that was crimped and then deep fried. The fish also had a rather strong flavor and not the fresh, clean taste I associate with fish tacos.

This is what I think of when I hear fish tacos

Wikipedia:

Tacos de pescado ("fish tacos") originated in Baja California in Mexico, where they consist of grilled or fried fish, lettuce or cabbage, pico de gallo, and a sour cream or citrus/mayonnaise sauce, all placed on top of a corn or flour tortilla. In the United States, they remain most popular in California, Colorado, and Washington. In California, they are often found at street vendors, and a regional variation is to serve them with cabbage and coleslaw dressing on top.

I would have to say, skip La Perla, and head to Seviche or Cheesecake Factory. They both serve a great fish taco. Seviche is a corn tortilla and Cheesecake is a flour tortilla. I prefer flour tortilla for fish tacos because the corn tortillas overpower the flavor of the fish.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
Next