Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Re: Why eat poorly in Louisville!

by Ed Vermillion » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:33 pm

Mark Head wrote:Watch it folks the next chains will be "big-box" health care! Doc-in-the-Box! :shock:

We have had these around for years, Mark. Immediate Care Centers. Another chain.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:20 am

Ed Vermillion wrote:
Mark Head wrote:Watch it folks the next chains will be "big-box" health care! Doc-in-the-Box! :shock:

We have had these around for years, Mark. Immediate Care Centers. Another chain.

I'm talking Big Box. Medicine Walmart style! Over 80% of primary care physicians are now employees and not independent. But I must restrain myself and not drag this thread off topic....sorry.
no avatar
User

Anderson Grissom

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:18 am

Downtown

by Anderson Grissom » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:18 am

Phil Gissen wrote:This argument goes way beyond restaurants and supporting local businesses. I am opposed to homogeny at any level.

These are the reasons I am against chains. I know they supply jobs and opportunities for locals, but the sameness of it all makes me frightened for our culture and our society.
I feel that small, locally owned restaurants need to be supported, or they will disappear with the onslaught of corporate chains that have the money and political clout to bulldoze the small business owner.

My original reaction was as follows:
Anyone whose tastes include chain restaurants - has no taste. < sans white castle>

Granted I was to chicken shit to post my opinion, but apparently my reaction was warranted due to other posts. I am disturbed when people are more comfortable in Disneyland than they are in there own neighborhoods. Why would you want to buy into someone's business plan rather than someone's dream. Do you think that your potato skins were made with love and care or more flair? I understand the consistency issue and that should not be a concern of a serious restaurant owner. You should only be afraid of something being better than what you might expect, and sincerely served.

This issue does delve much deeper than the service industry. I am very much willing to fight the whole way.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:58 am

Death to chain restaurants (Lew Bryson): http://www.lewbryson.com/other_chains.htm

Including this Toynbee quote: "Civilizations in decline are consistently characterized by a tendency towards standardization and uniformity."

Roger sez: "Being oblivious about deleterious consequences isn't a very strong argument in favor of any ingrained habit."

That's all I have to say on the subject. He he he.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:03 pm

It's the same everywhere. My office in Manhattan was within a block of the Grand Central food court, a great ramen shop, an awesome kebab cart, and a solid sandwich place, yet the line for the Subway sometimes snaked half a block. In my neighborhood in Queens, the main road was filled with great local places, including an old fashioned gelato place, but people would drivetheir kids to Carvel.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:11 pm

Anderson Grissom wrote:
Phil Gissen wrote:This argument goes way beyond restaurants and supporting local businesses. I am opposed to homogeny at any level.

These are the reasons I am against chains. I know they supply jobs and opportunities for locals, but the sameness of it all makes me frightened for our culture and our society.
I feel that small, locally owned restaurants need to be supported, or they will disappear with the onslaught of corporate chains that have the money and political clout to bulldoze the small business owner.

My original reaction was as follows:
Anyone whose tastes include chain restaurants - has no taste. < sans white castle>

Granted I was to chicken shit to post my opinion, but apparently my reaction was warranted due to other posts. I am disturbed when people are more comfortable in Disneyland than they are in there own neighborhoods. Why would you want to buy into someone's business plan rather than someone's dream. Do you think that your potato skins were made with love and care or more flair? I understand the consistency issue and that should not be a concern of a serious restaurant owner. You should only be afraid of something being better than what you might expect, and sincerely served.

This issue does delve much deeper than the service industry. I am very much willing to fight the whole way.

Why would anyone give White Castle a free pass?
no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:14 pm

Just let it slide.

:lol:
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:19 pm

Kyle L wrote:

Just let it slide.

:lol:

gag :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:04 pm

Eliza W wrote:It's the same everywhere. My office in Manhattan was within a block of the Grand Central food court, a great ramen shop, an awesome kebab cart, and a solid sandwich place, yet the line for the Subway sometimes snaked half a block. In my neighborhood in Queens, the main road was filled with great local places, including an old fashioned gelato place, but people would drivetheir kids to Carvel.

Similar experience when I lived, fairly briefly, on the Lower East Side a few years ago. Astor Pizza was next door to a Domino's. There were always long lines out the door of the Domino's. This made no sense to me, but it pretty much demolished the theory that all New Yorkers are classy sophisticates. At least this Kentucky boy had enough sense to turn left and go into Astor.
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:24 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Death to chain restaurants (Lew Bryson): http://www.lewbryson.com/other_chains.htm

Including this Toynbee quote: "Civilizations in decline are consistently characterized by a tendency towards standardization and uniformity."

Roger sez: "Being oblivious about deleterious consequences isn't a very strong argument in favor of any ingrained habit."

That's all I have to say on the subject. He he he.
Who are you and what have you done with Roger.....??
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Bryan R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:29 pm

by Bryan R » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:53 pm

So the people that work at nationally available restaurants are not local? I guess they are aliens from outer space? Some of you on here need to come down and breath the air at ground level. Your noses are higher than your hair. :lol:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:01 pm

Bryan R wrote:So the people that work at nationally available restaurants are not local? I guess they are aliens from outer space? Some of you on here need to come down and breath the air at ground level. Your noses are higher than your hair. :lol:

Brian, welcome to the forum ... you'll do a lot better here if you learn that, just as in a friendly bar, it's not really nice to make your entry by insulting people.

Please read above about the multiplier effect. We all understand that chain restaurants hire local workers. But the fact is that the profits go into a pipeline that takes some of the money out of Louisville. With local businesses, the money stays in town and recirculates.
no avatar
User

Kevin Graves

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:51 pm

Louisville, KY

by Kevin Graves » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:25 pm

Could not agree with you more Phil. It will forever remain a great mystery to me why people in this city go to chains when they can eat at numerous fantastic local restaurants for around the same price as a chain and get infinitely better quality food.
Kevin J. Graves
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:49 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Bryan R wrote:So the people that work at nationally available restaurants are not local? I guess they are aliens from outer space? Some of you on here need to come down and breath the air at ground level. Your noses are higher than your hair. :lol:

Brian, welcome to the forum ... you'll do a lot better here if you learn that, just as in a friendly bar, it's not really nice to make your entry by insulting people.

Please read above about the multiplier effect. We all understand that chain restaurants hire local workers. But the fact is that the profits go into a pipeline that takes some of the money out of Louisville. With local businesses, the money stays in town and recirculates.

For arguments sake, everyone knows I'm not a chain guy, but consider this pipeline multiplier stuff...by that logic I shouldn't travel to Nashville to eat or Atlanta to eat or New York to eat. As an economic argument that just doesn't hold water for me.

Let's take seafood for example, I like to shop with the local fishmonger because he's local and his profits stay here. Three or four people work in a local fish market full time and the profits stay here. Now the raw product isn't obtained here so that money goes somewhere else. That's fine. But take Whole Foods - they have fish that they likely source from the same or a similar place, they hire, employ, and pay taxes for 10 times the number of folks. What generates more economic activity for the community? Don't ask me, ask the mayor, the members of the city council, state and national representatives...who do they try to attempt to attract with incentives and the like?

I shop local and eat local because the products tend to be of higher quality. If I based it on a "pipeline" theory then when I'm in LA I should only eat Papa Johns or Yum Brand products so those profits will find their way back to Louisville. No thanks.
Previous