Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Disappointing Anniversary Dinner

no avatar
User

Chris Lindy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:34 pm

Louisville, KY (Summit area)

Disappointing Anniversary Dinner

by Chris Lindy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:08 am

Given some of the recent posts, I feel bad piling on another chain... but last night's trip to Stoney River served as a reminder why I prefer our local folks. We read Robin's review (older) before going, taking note of his general indifference to the product but also noting the general positive reviews of some friends who had been recently.

Well, Robin is still spot on as far as I am concerned. The booths are indeed awkward and uncomfortable, the steaks were good enough but missing something for a restaurant of its price range, and the service we received was attentive but entirely without character or friendliness. I left with this weird feeling like I had nothing to complain about, but there was nothing I enjoyed about the meal or the service. For a meal that ran $80+ with tip, it seemed like we had been denied that extra je ne sais quoi that makes fancier locations worth their prices.

Since Le Relais, Lily's, and The English Grill were all on the original list of options, something tells me that we picked the absolute wrong one for our anniversary. I'm staying local for the next husband-wife celebration.
no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

Re: Disappointing Anniversary Dinner

by Kyle L » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:04 am

Sorry you had a less than desirable experience at Stoney River. However, my last visit exceeded expectations in service and quality; especially for a chain. While I agree the prices are higher than normal, I don't believe there's anything as an inexpensive steak in town served at a restaurant.

Just my opinion.

And,Happy Anniversary! :)
no avatar
User

Anthony U

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:36 am

Louisville - East

by Anthony U » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:21 am

Stoney River has been a fairly regular haunt of mine, in part because of location, and in part because of the food. I have dined there at least 40 times in the last 6 years. Their bar is great, and so are their martinis. However, I will say that I have seen some decline in the quality of both the table service and the food. What's most disappointing, is a growing inconsistency, especially on the table service and the preparation of the steak (cooking temperature).

Now I realize that 6 years is a long time, and their have been management changes, but its not as good as it used to be. Still a great place for drinks though, and a decent looking crowd. Just my opinion.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:16 am

Not a regular of mine because I'm not that much of a steak eater. On the other hand I've generally been pleased with the overall quality of the food. I'd put it on par with Ruth's Chris or Mortons.

You should go to Le Relais and get the NY strip and frites. Steak and potatos nirvana!
no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:59 am

The Sautéed Mushrooms they serve are fantastic. At least, the times I've been.