Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Louisville Blues & BBQ Festival

no avatar
User

Damon M Barnes

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 18, 2009 11:54 am

Highlands

Louisville Blues & BBQ Festival

by Damon M Barnes » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:50 am

I have never been to this before and was thinking of checking it out this weekend. Has anyone ever been before and if so how is the food?
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

Re: Louisville Blues & BBQ Festival

by Paul Mick » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:59 am

It sounds like the BBQ will be provided by Fireside and The Q.

Does anyone know if you're allowed to purchase from the competitors? It seems to me that most BBQ festivals don't allow you to purchase meat from competitors, and if my assumption is correct, does anyone know of a festival without that restriction? Personally I find it difficult to get behind an event where tantalizing food is being cooked by dozens of chefs and you're not allowed to try any of it. Combine that with the inability to second-guess the judges because you haven't sampled any of the entries, and the whole situation just seems rather cruel to me.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Re: Louisville Blues & BBQ Festival

by Kim H » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:48 pm

Paul Mick wrote:It sounds like the BBQ will be provided by Fireside and The Q.

Does anyone know if you're allowed to purchase from the competitors? It seems to me that most BBQ festivals don't allow you to purchase meat from competitors, and if my assumption is correct, does anyone know of a festival without that restriction? Personally I find it difficult to get behind an event where tantalizing food is being cooked by dozens of chefs and you're not allowed to try any of it. Combine that with the inability to second-guess the judges because you haven't sampled any of the entries, and the whole situation just seems rather cruel to me.

We went to this fest a few years ago and it was fun, but it wasn't a BBQ competition. The year we went, they had 3 vendors, I believe, and several local bands. If you're expecting a BBQ fest, don't get your hopes up. We used to love Firefresh when it was Fireside, or whatever it was, but something was lost when they started franchising (let's not go there tho. Please) If I remember correctly, The Q (Cue?) was there the year we were there (06?), and they were very good, but mostly do catering. I could be wrong, so correct me if so. Anyway, it's a good time, but not really a bbq feast. (but I totally agree with the contests providing a mean tease!)