Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Jarfi's at Glassworks

no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

Jarfi's at Glassworks

by Paul Mick » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:41 pm

I think I recall something posted a while back about Jarfi's moving their operation entirely into the catering business.

Nevertheless, I was surprised the other day when I found out that as of last week Glassworks no longer has a list of preferred caterers, they have one: Jarfi's. This monopoly apparently also extends to include bar services.

Now I have nothing against Jarfi's at all and I wish them the best, but it has always been my impression that they tend towards the pricier end of the spectrum. If my notion is wrong, please let me know. I consulted their website for prices, but I couldn't find any specific prices.

That just seems like a risky position for Glassworks to accept, as it could deter people who are on a budget. It was one of our top two choices to host the Medical School Cadaver Ball (there are no cadavers, it's just a name) there, but honestly we can't afford to spend much on catering.

What do you all think about this turn of events, and do you know if any other venues are moving in this direction?
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Re: Jarfi's at Glassworks

by Heather Y » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:33 pm

Paul,
I am sure if you explained to Jarfi's that your group has a budget, they will be able to accommodate you.
(at least one would hope)
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:13 am

I would be curious to see the menu for that event. :D
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:40 am

Heather Y wrote:Paul,
I am sure if you explained to Jarfi's that your group has a budget, they will be able to accommodate you.
(at least one would hope)

I'm sure they could accommodate us with a spread that is within our price range, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we wouldn't get more food for the same price from somewhere else. I'm blanking on the name of the caterers we used last spring, but overall we were very impressed with their work and their price. Additionally the bar service we used let us purchase our own alcohol for them to serve, which is a big plus when the money you have to spend on alcohol isn't finalized until a day or so before the event. Since we can't spend any university money on alcohol, we put all of the money from ticket sales directly into libations and cover the venue and catering with other funds.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien