Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Jazzyblu at Glassworks

no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Jazzyblu at Glassworks

by Brad Keeton » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:06 pm

I just read about this - the links came from Brokensidewalk. A new jazz club opened on July 3 in the lower level of Glassworks, in the space formerly occupied by the Jazz Factory. It appears to have a full food menu as well.

http://www.louisville.com/content/jazzy ... glassworks

http://jazzyblu.com/index.html
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

Re: Jazzyblu at Glassworks

by Brad Keeton » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:11 pm

From what I can tell from the article and website, they have retained the old Glassworks interior, but have improved the acoustics.

I'm curious as to who is doing the food. Unfortunately, the menu posted on their website seems rather unimaginative (chicken tenders, cheddar cheese poppers. . .), and decidedly less upscale than the various food incarnations during Glassworks' operations, but I'm willing to give it a shot. It seems to have a somewhat southern-inspired flair (brisket, catfish).

Regardless, it's exciting to see something back in that space.
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:25 pm

Business First had something on this ...

Jazzyblu opens in former Jazz Factory space
Business First of Louisville - by Ben Adkins Staff Writer

Another jazz club will open its doors tonight in the Glassworks building, more than a year after the closing of The Jazz Factory, which had operated there.

Jazzyblu: The Jazz Cafe & Lounge now occupies the nearly 4,000-square-foot space in the basement of the building, at 815 W. Market St.

Bill Weyland, who developed the Glassworks complex, said he talked to “five or six” prospective tenants for the space before deciding to lease it to Scylar LaDeq and his wife, Karyn LaDeq, who owns the jazz club.

Full story in Business First (requires paid subscription)
http://louisville.bizjournals.com/louis ... ory12.html
no avatar
User

Tim Whalen

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:31 am

by Tim Whalen » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:45 pm

Nobody here probably wants to hear this but the most famous jazz club in the world, the Village Vanguard. doesn't even sell food. The former kitchen is the musician's "Green Room".
I always thought you need to define your place as a music club that happens to have some food or a restaurant with music.
I was never in agreement with the former Jazz Factory's management decision to move the shows up to 7:30pm to try to increase food sales.
Best of luck in their venture in trying to have a jazz club in Louisville.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:56 pm

Tim Whalen wrote:Nobody here probably wants to hear this but the most famous jazz club in the world, the Village Vanguard. doesn't even sell food. The former kitchen is the musician's "Green Room".
I always thought you need to define your place as a music club that happens to have some food or a restaurant with music.
I was never in agreement with the former Jazz Factory's management decision to move the shows up to 7:30pm to try to increase food sales.

Hey, if the music is great, I'm fine with it. It was nice to have a pretty nice meal and music at the Jazz Factory, but I am more interested in this place as a place to see music and have drinks.

It just never hurts when the food is good.
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:35 pm

Tim Whalen wrote:Nobody here probably wants to hear this but the most famous jazz club in the world, the Village Vanguard. doesn't even sell food. The former kitchen is the musician's "Green Room".

I had dinner and saw a show at the Blue Note a couple of weeks ago, and was quite surprised at the food quality - I expected much less for the reason you describe above.

By the way, this is the fourth jazz club experiment since about 1990. I contend, as I have for years, that we just don't have the population size to support a full time jazz club. Perhaps the limited schedule for this one will help them hang on. I miss Ken and the Jazz Factory, though.