Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Quick shout-out to Stephen D

no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Quick shout-out to Stephen D

by Brad Keeton » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:00 am

I stopped in Z's Fusion Thursday afternoon with two friends (including occasional poster Patrick B.) to kill some time before heading to the track for the final night racing. We each had a few cocktails and appetizers, delicious as usual. As we were getting close to leaving, our bartender began offering us a few samples of various creations.

At this point I began to suspect that our bartender was Stephen, so I introduced myself, and in fact, it was. He kindly gave us tastes of 4 or 5 of his creations, including a one ingredient, clear, rocks drink that I'll leave unnamed at Stephen's request. The rest I couldn't even begin to describe, so I'll leave that to Stephen. They were all very good.

We very much appreciated the kind service, to the point of continuing to chatter about it at the track, where my wife proceeded to kick herself for not meeting us.

Thanks, Stephen.

EDITED TO CORRECT "FRIDAY" to "THURSDAY"
Last edited by Brad Keeton on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

Re: Quick shout-out to Stephen D

by Stephen D » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:20 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:I stopped in Z's Fusion Friday afternoon with two friends (including occasional poster Patrick B.) to kill some time before heading to the track for the final night racing. We each had a few cocktails and appetizers, delicious as usual. As we were getting close to leaving, our bartender began offering us a few samples of various creations.

At this point I began to suspect that our bartender was Stephen, so I introduced myself, and in fact, it was. He kindly gave us tastes of 4 or 5 of his creations, including a one ingredient, clear, rocks drink that I'll leave unnamed at Stephen's request. The rest I couldn't even begin to describe, so I'll leave that to Stephen. They were all very good.

We very much appreciated the kind service, to the point of continuing to chatter about it at the track, where my wife proceeded to kick herself for not meeting us.

Thanks, Stephen.

Wow... I need to focus more on focus! Just like I almost didn't recognize you as foodies the other day, I almost let this one slide through the cracks. I got myself weeded, as I let the immersion tasting last until the last second before dinner service. My management team bailed me out with clean up, yet mis-en-place was dubious, at best. We all know the hole that digs! I was lucky that you guys chose cocktails from the adventurous side of the menu- always a sign I have some foodies I get to play with, hehe!

Ok, the play-by-play, as I remember it:

We tried the strawberry/lavender stone sour, which was the spring offering from the immersion menu. I could drink that all day...

Then we moved into the summer offering, which was the black pepper/cherry/(where the hades is the sumac?) infused Maker's Mark in the snifter over the candle with the vermouth sugar brulee inside the snifter. Lemon Vapor. Kurt, if you are reading this, I figured out the sugar presentation and I think you'd like the resolution, which is a play off of Jana's suggestion... it looks like a cracked sunrise lifting out of the bourbon sea. Quite striking!

Then we moved into the unami sangria v 2.0, the tamarind concentrate proving that it is, indeed the answer to the problems we had with the original. I'm feeling good about moving into the final phase of this one where we flame shitakes with cognac and then making a puree out of that. I think a fining through coffee filters will alleviate the sediment on the inside of the glass issue. /crossing fingers

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I share with you the gel that I just made with X-Rated, a pink cordial that is essentially a different color of hypnotic? It was the brunoise that I like to call 'adult gummy bears.' Just last night we finally figured out a fun application for the pink cubes, which will be mixed with the blue hypnotic cubes. They resemble the colors of the old bubble gum candy cigars passed out by expecting fathers. Called 'It's a boy/ It's a girl, they will sit at the bottom of a bubble gum cordial (Eben Freeman) and will celebrate the as-yet announced pregnancy of a member of our restaurant family!!! (he's gonna kick my arse for this!) I absolutely love that you all were in on something so special to us!

I might also get into trouble for this: the clear liquid was white dog- the rarely tasted spirit that is bourbon before aging. Simply corn alcohol, it is only used for educational purposes. This was bourbon before the introduction of the charred barrel. As bourbon fans, I felt you would dig the experience. As a member of the extended family and as an ambassador, I took it upon myself to share this with you, repeating as faithfully as I could, the lessons I was taught during my first experience with the spirit. I hope you were inspired as much as I was by the stuff!

Didn't I also show you the creamsicle foam? Karen Shane from Republic, our rep and partner dropped by with what we think is maybe Finlandia's best infusion yet: tangerine. Kelsey, one of our managers and my source of inspiration for many of our frou-frou drinks took one smell of this product and exclaimed 'creamsicle!' Well, who am I not to give the lady what she wants? Fin Tang, Tuaca, OJ, and heavy cream charged with pressurized NO2 produce a fairly stable foam that we have been serving with a creamsicle granita and grape soda syrup marinated orange supremes. The granita is gone, so the foam has become amuse-bouche...

I'm sorry if I have, yet again gone too long, or if my enthusiasm could be misconstrued as cockiness or arrogance. It is what it is...

Brad, I'm so glad to have finally met you and Patrick. Trust me, I had just as much fun as you guys did. These experiences are what motivate me to work as hard as I do. At the end of the day, recognized or not, I look back on the experience and I laugh to myself, because that was exactly why I signed onto this career... and exactly why I can say I do what I love to do.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:42 pm

Well said, Stephen, and you were spot on to our "tasting menu" (yes, we got the gel and creamsicle foam).

I referred to the white dog as the "one ingredient, clear, rocks drink" to keep you out of trouble. Heh. It was very nice to try beyond the thimble-ful one might get at a distillery tour - sweetish, VERY smooth, with no burn.

I'm sure we'll see you again soon. Thanks again.
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:32 pm

Stephen,

Not being a "frou frou" drink person, I can't imagine sampling as many sweet sounding drinks in one setting. However, just a WOW about reading your descriptions of these drinks. I don't care what the topic is, I love seeing someone so passionate about what they do reflect it in the way you did here. It reminds me of seeing professional golfers: I don't play golf, but do like to watch it on occasion, and seeing the level of talent in the PGA just blows me away. Reading your synopsis reminded me somewhat of that sort of experience.

OK, back to the Financial Times where I belong.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:12 pm

I'm glad Stephen has this platform to speak out. And well due props from Brad. Thanks for the great read. I'm very moved by this passion.

Stephen, I'm tickled to know you. Will you coordinate with Gary, Gayle, Paul, and I for the Dragon King's Daughter when it opens?
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:21 pm

Stephen D wrote:Ok, the play-by-play, as I remember it:

My wife and I got the same treatment on Thursday afternoon. Stephen graciously invited us to taste the libations and make suggestions. It was a great experience! I also finally got to meet Stephen and Jo face to face. Jo was part of the tasting as well.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:23 pm

Kurt R. wrote: My wife and I got the same treatment on Thursday afternoon. Stephen graciously invited us to taste the libations and make suggestions. It was a great experience! I also finally got to meet Stephen and Jo face to face. Jo was part of the tasting as well.

Whoops - we were there Thursday evening, not Friday (edited my original post). Stephen was very busy it seems.
-Alton Brown