Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Tales from the BBQ Trail

no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Tales from the BBQ Trail

by Steve P » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:17 am

I think I might have recovered enough to report on the "experience" of this weekends New Albany "Blues, Cruise and BBQ Fest...It's hard to recall the details through the haze of heat exhaustion but here goes.

The site of this Summer's first contest was the asphalt parking lot of the Northside Christian Church in New Albany. The words "Summer" and "asphalt" being key here. After a careful check of the weather forecast on Thursday we joined many of the competitors in sweating through an early set up on Thursday evening. BAD Stevie...NO biscuit. Thursday nights storms dumped over 4 inches of rain on the area and I returned to the site on Friday afternoon to find $350 dollars of canopies twisted like pretzels. A "quick" trip out to Dick's Sporting Goods during rush hour traffic and another hundred bucks and we were back in -some- semblance of competitiveness.

Those of you who have never seen the Northside Church, it is one big place...and it appears they have a lot of ministers. All of 'em are Great foilks but ya couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting someone who was the minister of -something-. I mention this only because who ever it was that had previously assured us that we had permission from a much higher authority to <eh-hem> discretely consume alcohol on the premises was over ridden by the head-mother-what-be-in-charge (HMWBIC). NO Alcohol. No big deal though...my belly was so full of Gator-Aid that I don't think I could have found room for a beer.

Competitive BBQ cooking is a perfect example of the "Haves" and the "Have NOTS"...and I suppose in part this boils down to a level of commitment but disposable income and a hyper level of competitiveness also play a large roll. The "haves" pull in in driving their motor homes or pulling their "toy hauler" trailers. They wheel out industrial strength "set it and forget it" smokers with enough bells and whistles to make NASA proud and the commence to "cook" BBQ. While waiting for their meat to turn into BBQ they relax in air conditioned comfort while watching the new episode of "Top 40 Country" on CMT via their satellite TV. The "have Nots" on the other hand...or at least in the case of my lovely bride and I sweat out the night ("sweat" being another key word here) manually tending their little smokers, listening to the new "Chickenfoot" CD, taking a little nip every now and then (in this case followed immediately by a prayer of forgiveness..."just in case") and catching a 15 minute cat nap in the back of the pick up once or twice during the night.

On a -good- day the have nots can make it a pretty good show and the "art" of BBQ will prevail over technology. This was NOT a good day. We got our asses kicked. By Saturday afternoon we both felt like we had been ran over by TWO trains. Between the heat, no sleep and that new BBQ rub I tried we managed a 14th place finish...Not bad in a contest with 50 teams but unfortunately this contest only had 15 (YIKES !!!). What the heck though...at least I got a heat stroke out of the deal, so I've got THAT going for me.

Well there ya have it...Sorry more of you didn't venture out but what the heck, maybe next time.
Last edited by Steve P on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Tales from the BBQ Trail

by Steve P » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:33 am

BTW...We are looking for a new team member or two. Must have motorhome with air conditioning and a full bath. A kegerator, an "in" at the Liquor Barn and a lawn jockey you don't mind seeing dressed up is also highly desirable. Good times guaranteed.

:P
Last edited by Steve P on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:39 am

Steve - sorry about your lack of success. The one year I didn't place in the chili cook-off at Phoenix Hill I cried in frustration all the way home.

Did you guys do the dry-ice air conditioning? I always bring a big fan.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:49 am

Marsha L. wrote:Steve - sorry about your lack of success. The one year I didn't place in the chili cook-off at Phoenix Hill I cried in frustration all the way home.

Did you guys do the dry-ice air conditioning? I always bring a big fan.

Marsha,

We just do this for the fun of it...Honestly I don't really care if we win or place, I just like showing up. That being said, I will admit that on the rare occasion when David really DOES slay Goliath it is a good feeling. As long as it's fun (and that would be a bit of a reach in this case) we'll keep showing up. Oh, and In keeping with the mischievous-class clown image I have so carefully crafted over the years we have some really good ideas for the NEXT contest 8) :twisted:
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 pm

Great story, Steve. Keep plugging away and maybe one of these days you'll have church van with air conditioning and a keg!
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:25 pm

Steve sorry you had a crazy time, but I have a feeling that you enjoy it. I LOVE to bbq, i mean i LOVE it. I bbq all year long, even when I was pregnant and could muster up the strength to do it. My family sees me out there, with the smoke and the heat and I am bitching up a storm at my little crappy grill, BUT I LOVE IT!!!

I'm sorry we couldn't get out there this weekend. I wanted to meet you, you seem to have a really great attitude. I really was planning on going, but with the heat being so high I worried about taking the two babies out in it.
no avatar
User

BrianW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Behind Enemy Lines in the 9th District

by BrianW » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:34 pm

We ventured over Friday PM around 7 and stood in line for an average-at-best pork sandwich and awfully dry and unseasoned chicken sandwich, skipped any of the sides though as any previous mentioned hope of getting some quality prepared sides there was lost - everything came out of the GFS cans and they weren't shy about it. Price wise it was a better deal then that horrendous thing in Jeff last weekend but still not that great a deal for what amounted to a 3-4 oz. sandwich in each case (at the Jeff thing the one vendor selling wanted $10 for a brisket sandwich plate :shock: ). We brought our own water and strolled around the competitor setup for about 20 min., left and went across the street to Five Guys. Yes, it was awfully hot that evening, there were a few inflatables for the kids there that did not cost $1 each time a kid went down the slide.

Now I know I sound upset or boohoo woo is me, but no actually I'm glad in a way that I took the time to attend this type of show the past two weeks, makes me extra leary of driving all the way to Memphis or KC for bbq shows: anyplace where you cannot buy from the competitors is IMHO ridiculous, whatever the hogwash cockamamie rules about that are should be tossed. But then that's just me, so my loss.
Liberalism is a 'no brainer'.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:08 pm

BrianW wrote:anyplace where you cannot buy from the competitors is IMHO ridiculous, whatever the hogwash cockamamie rules about that are should be tossed. But then that's just me, so my loss.

Second the motion.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:02 pm

BrianW wrote:We ventured over Friday PM around 7 and stood in line for an average-at-best pork sandwich and awfully dry and unseasoned chicken sandwich, skipped any of the sides though as any previous mentioned hope of getting some quality prepared sides there was lost - everything came out of the GFS cans and they weren't shy about it. Price wise it was a better deal then that horrendous thing in Jeff last weekend but still not that great a deal for what amounted to a 3-4 oz. sandwich in each case (at the Jeff thing the one vendor selling wanted $10 for a brisket sandwich plate :shock: ). We brought our own water and strolled around the competitor setup for about 20 min., left and went across the street to Five Guys. Yes, it was awfully hot that evening, there were a few inflatables for the kids there that did not cost $1 each time a kid went down the slide.

Now I know I sound upset or boohoo woo is me, but no actually I'm glad in a way that I took the time to attend this type of show the past two weeks, makes me extra leary of driving all the way to Memphis or KC for bbq shows: anyplace where you cannot buy from the competitors is IMHO ridiculous, whatever the hogwash cockamamie rules about that are should be tossed. But then that's just me, so my loss.

I'm sure your disappointment with the food was offset by the fact that the proceeds went to a good cause.

As for buying food from the competitors...ehhhhh...I'm not sure you'd want to buy food from any of us after it's been out in the hot sun all day. Let's face it (a) most of us aren't geared up to serve food to the public (b) most of us don't really WANT to sell food to the general public (are you the man I see to cover my expenses when all my product doesn't sell ?) and (c) Most of us don't really care what the general public thinks of our BBQ...Your not writing the check. As for "peoples choice" events. They happen but are few and far between and -many- folks I know refuse to participate simply because -someone- is always stuffing the ballot boxes.

Guess BBQ events just ain't your thang. Sorry.
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Louisville

by David O. » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:58 pm

Hey Steve, don't fret. This was a good opportunity to get out there and put time in with your race trim on. Write it up as competitive practice for relatively cheap. I mean your losing efforts could have been put in on a much more expensive competition, that would have sucked.

Tweak that rub, find better meat and tune in your time and temperatures. Look for that next contest. Maybe the Ribberfest in Madison on August 21th. Isn't there one coming up at the Oldham county fairgrounds soon?

Good Luck.
David O.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:59 pm

BrianW wrote:makes me extra leary of driving all the way to Memphis for bbq shows: anyplace where you cannot buy from the competitors is IMHO ridiculous, whatever the hogwash cockamamie rules about that are should be tossed. But then that's just me, so my loss.

There are also safety reasons for not buying fm the competitors - when you see a team member sneezing into his/her hand, wiping it on their pants, and then poking the pork shoulder to test for doneness your appetite goes away anyways!

Memphis is still fun for spectators. I'm not sure how many (Steve can correct me), but a hefty percentage of the points one gets is for showmanship. And, showmanship is definitely "on display" throughout! Also, Memphis has several music stages, great blues playing all the time, and the vendors in general aren't serving stuff out of a can. Plus, if you're even a tiny bit knowledgeable (or even interested) most competitors (if it isn't close to "showtime" for the judging) would love to talk to you, just to keep the boredom of sitting for hours on end away.

We've visited and entered in Memphis, and had great time (albeit different times) each time we've been.
Andrew Mellman