Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Taco Truck in Clarksville .....

no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

Taco Truck in Clarksville .....

by Becky M » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:07 pm

On Friday night I had a taste for some tacos. Actually, what I was feeling was tacos from the Gordita Trailer, but it was late and HOT and I didn't feel like driving all the way over there with the two babies. So, we just piled up in the van and I ventured out to look for the taco truck that I heard was here in Indiana.

I went to the apartment complexes that are sort of behind Greentree Mall. I drove around a bit and finally saw a large white truck with KY TACO on the side. I didn't see a window where you could walk up and order so I didn't think they were selling. I drove around a couple of times, scoping it out. I noticed a guy standing at the door in the back of the truck talking with a couple of people that were outside the truck. My first thought was that they were fixing the vehicle. But then I noticed a small sign on the open door and I realized that was their menu. I parked my van and my husband and the babies waited inside while I went to check it out. Smelled great. Menu consists of: Tacos $2.00 Tortas $6.00 Drinks $1-$2. The fillings are all your basic taco truck fillings. Personally, I think the prices are just a bit higher than other places, I think the going rate is $1.50 for tacos and about $5 for the tortas. But, we decided to try it anyway.

He handed me a bag with two styrofoam plates and two styrofoam cups, one with green salsa and the other had red salsa. The bag was VERY heavy and it smelled delicious.

My husband and I split the torta which was HUGE. But sadly, it was on regular Wal-Mart French loaf bread, and it was the actual Wal-Mart brand bread. I am NOT dissing their bread, but from my experience tortas are served on a bolio type bread. The fillings of the torta were good. Four slices of nice and ripe buttery avocado, two slices of pretty red tomatoes (personally I believe it could have used four on such a large piece of bread), diced onion and cilantro, and a huge load of grilled onions at my request. The meat was seasoned well, but as my husband put it, "that doesn't look like 6 bucks worth of meat." The bread tasted good, and it was nicely toasted. BUT, the torta was too bready, since it was just a large half of french bread, with none of the middle of the bread hollowed out, it was too much bread.

The tacos were also carne asada. Two corn tortillas filled with meat with diced onions and cilantro on top, a nice huge mound of grilled onions, and three lemon wedges. The meat was nice, for carne asada it was light in color but still had a good flavor. All the toppings and fillings were great, BUT the corn tortillas were too thick. For a double corn tortilla taco a thinner tortilla is usually used. There was plenty of meat filling, but just too thick of the tortilla.

I LOVED the green salsa. It was perfectly HOT. They did not skimp on the amount, I had enough for half a torta and two tacos, and I drowned them. It was the type of heat that left my lips feeling as if they had grown in size!, as it should be. I also liked the grilled onions, nicely grilled, but with just a bit of bite to them.

Overall, it was good. I feel that they have good meat fillings, toppings, but just need to work on the type of bread and tortillas they are using to make them GREAT. It is nice to have it here in town as opposed to driving to the Gordita trailer. But, we prefer the Gordita Trailer because you can sit down and eat right there and then. We didn't like that we had to drive all the way home to eat. Part of the whole experience is standing there eating among strangers. Would we go again? Yeah, maybe, probably. But for the cheaper price, more variety, and ambiance, and most importantly flavor; I prefer the Gordita Trailer.