Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

Collard Greens or Mixed Greens Throwdown.....

by Becky M » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:47 pm

I had posted a question about who carried good greens and then David Clancy suggested a collards greens throwdown..... He might have been playing, but I think it is an AWESOME idea. I had been thinking about this for a long time already but just felt too embarrassed/shy to suggest this.

Personally, I think greens are super easy to cook. It is just the darn cleaning of them/preparation that is a KILLER!

So what does everyone think? And if no throwdown, what makes YOUR greens great? That is, if they are??? :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :wink:
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Collard Greens or Mixed Greens Throwdown.....

by Steve P » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:31 pm

Becky M wrote:I had posted a question about who carried good greens and then David Clancy suggested a collards greens throwdown..... He might have been playing, but I think it is an AWESOME idea. I had been thinking about this for a long time already but just felt too embarrassed/shy to suggest this.

Personally, I think greens are super easy to cook. It is just the darn cleaning of them/preparation that is a KILLER!

So what does everyone think? And if no throwdown, what makes YOUR greens great? That is, if they are??? :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :wink:

I love greens...but a "greens" throw down sounds a bit like a luke warm bath with no bubbles.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:42 pm

I am of the opinion that we should finish one throwdown before we schedule another one. I also think we should move away from so many throwdowns where everyone makes the same dish, and make the throwdown ingredient-based instead. It's just nicer for everyone to be able to taste several different things, instead of several versions of the exact same dish - tastebud fatigue, don'tcha know! For judges and attendees alike. Y'all may feel differently, though...
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:53 pm

Im with Lynch on this,lets try to get the pizza throw down in order before we start a new project. Im also down with the theme ingredient idea suggestion...Iron Chef style.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:26 pm

John Hagan wrote:Im with Lynch on this,lets try to get the pizza throw down in order before we start a new project. Im also down with the theme ingredient idea suggestion...Iron Chef style.

I'm with John. As a relatively new resident of "The Ville" I would LOVE to have an opportunity to compare a half a dozen (or more) of these revered pies alongside each other. PIZZA !!! Then Greens or whatever.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Joe Pennington

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:53 am

Louisville KY."Germantown"

by Joe Pennington » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:48 pm

Escarole,leeks,potato and bacon... it was a pizza dough....
Advance confidently in the direction of your dreams and endeavour to live the life which you have imagined and they shall meet with unexpected success. HDT
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:14 pm

What would you guys say to the idea of tying this back to Paul Mick's original Farmers' Market Throwdown idea? Probably during August, every participating chef builds a dish based entirely on product from local farmers' markets. Could be meatless, could be meatful (as long as it's a farm market purchase), and could even require collards (and/or other greens?) as one key ingredient.

What say you all?
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:37 pm

I love the idea! I think we'd want to modify that to be all "major ingredients"- ie you can provide your own spices and herbs.

Deb
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:39 pm

i think that is a good idea Robin...... I didn't mean to step/stomp on the whole pizza throwdown, it is just a thought that came to mind as i was reading a post.....

But yes i like the idea, and also the fact of being meatless or meatFUL!

I guess i just got excited with the whole greens thing. I really like them and it is interesting how many different ways and variations there are to cook them.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:21 pm

Deb Hall wrote:I love the idea! I think we'd want to modify that to be all "major ingredients"- ie you can provide your own spices and herbs.

Good point, Deb. I'd even extend that to "basic pantry," spices, oil and butter, what have you. Herbs, maybe not, though ... might require fresh herbs from the farm markets. :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:22 pm

Becky M wrote:i think that is a good idea Robin...... I didn't mean to step/stomp on the whole pizza throwdown, it is just a thought that came to mind as i was reading a post.....

Becky, nothing to apologize for, you did fine! That's just the way ideas evolve around here. It's a team thing!