Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Collard greens .....

no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

Collard greens .....

by Becky M » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:46 pm

Does anyone know of any place that makes good greens? We have gotten them from Indi's before but feel that they are a bit too vinegary and too salty sometimes. We have also had the ones at Our Best Restaurant, i feel those were better than Indi's. Just wondering if anyone makes any worthy greens around here......
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

Re: Collard greens .....

by Mark Head » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:36 pm

The cafeteria at Clark Memorial Hospital makes great greens. Tangy, salty, and I think they are vegetarian friendly. However, they are not available every day. They make good fried chicken too which is great with the greens. Unfortunately they prepare quite a bit of food I don't care for...but it's my lunch spot 3-4 days a week.

Goose Creek Diner might have greens....seems like I've had them there before.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:59 pm

interestingly Norton Hospital also makes good greens. When i asked they also told me that they were vegetarian and healthy. I was in the hospital almost two weeks after i had my first son, so we would always sneak to the cafeteria to see when they had greens.
no avatar
User

Reagan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:52 am

Keepin on the Sunny Side, Always on the Sunny Side

by Reagan H » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:05 am

Smoketown BBQ; the best ribs I have had here (juicy, moist) and they turned me into a greens believer. And everyone we take there is converted as well. They are on Logan right now, may be moving to Bardstown Rd soon...
no avatar
User

Chris Howerton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:44 pm

by Chris Howerton » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:40 am

Corbetts
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:08 am

Mark Head wrote:The cafeteria at Clark Memorial Hospital makes great greens. Tangy, salty, and I think they are vegetarian friendly. However, they are not available every day. They make good fried chicken too which is great with the greens. Unfortunately they prepare quite a bit of food I don't care for...but it's my lunch spot 3-4 days a week.

From what I was told at Clark Memorial Hospital (two babies born there), the greens are NOT veg friendly. Basically, for food there, you are Sh#t out of luck. Horribly unhealthy, which is typical of US hospitals. Notice the McD's in the lobby of Kosair's Children's hospital. Cure them of cancer and give it right back to them, or maybe some clogged arteries.

Absolutely insane, the hospital food that I've seen. Insane! (but perhaps drives more profits to the for-profit insurance companies and hospitals, so maybe not totally insane).

Shouldn't we have healthy food in hospitals? Not greasy spoon type choices. Same with school systems, but this is leading to a whole other topic, so I'll say g'nighty.....
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:40 am

Nimbus Couzin wrote:
Mark Head wrote:The cafeteria at Clark Memorial Hospital makes great greens. Tangy, salty, and I think they are vegetarian friendly. However, they are not available every day. They make good fried chicken too which is great with the greens. Unfortunately they prepare quite a bit of food I don't care for...but it's my lunch spot 3-4 days a week.

From what I was told at Clark Memorial Hospital (two babies born there), the greens are NOT veg friendly. Basically, for food there, you are Sh#t out of luck. Horribly unhealthy, which is typical of US hospitals. Notice the McD's in the lobby of Kosair's Children's hospital. Cure them of cancer and give it right back to them, or maybe some clogged arteries.

Absolutely insane, the hospital food that I've seen. Insane! (but perhaps drives more profits to the for-profit insurance companies and hospitals, so maybe not totally insane).

Shouldn't we have healthy food in hospitals? Not greasy spoon type choices. Same with school systems, but this is leading to a whole other topic, so I'll say g'nighty.....

uhh...yeah it's all plot to steal our money kill us with greens.

Since Gene the "chef" is a buddy I'll double check.

edit: I'll also add that many physicians and staff are from cultures that are vegetarian and the kitchen is very accommodating if for no other reason.
no avatar
User

Mark Albert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:04 pm

by Mark Albert » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:11 am

Got a big mess of 'em in my back yard. Not so sure that they will be either vegetarian or healthy when I am through with them. Pretty sure there will be some pork involved.
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:23 am

Is "South Side Inn" over in New Albany open or closed (never quite sure)....but they historically make good greens....
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:51 am

We serve a pretty mean collard green at Westport General Store
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:02 am

Chef Ellen Gill McCarty at Science Hill PLUS darn good Lima Beans!
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:05 pm

Will Crawford wrote:We serve a pretty mean collard green at Westport General Store
Collard green throwdown anyone?Willie? Howie??
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)