Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Dana McMahan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:00 pm

St Joe's

Re: New Bar - Restaurant Opening

by Dana McMahan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:20 pm

They're in my neighborhood, I'm going to stop by tonight for the "soft soft soft" opening. I'll report back!
no avatar
User

Bret Donaldson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:14 am

by Bret Donaldson » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:03 pm

We attended the soft opening last night, and were quite impressed with the decor, atmosphere, and quality of food. There are a handful of items on the menu that remain true to the menu from Nord's Brown Bag, namely 3 of the signature clubs and the open-face roast beef. Service was attentive without being intrusive. The food was a little slow in coming, but that's to be expected for a soft opening.

I had a burger, which was cooked as ordered, and served with house made chips. Becca had the BLT with fried green tomatoes served on a nice artisan bread. The menu was solid, with a good variety of hot and cold sandwiches. Beer list was diverse, and not too expensive, with a good selection of imports and microbrews in the $4 - 4.50 range.

The crowd was enthusiastic, everyone seemed happy, and I believe these guys have hit a good formula that will honor the history of the Brown Bag while moving forward with the current Germantown scene. I think we've found a new favorite post-work spot.

All indications are that they will be opening for regular business starting tonight - I certainly wish them the best.
Bret Donaldson
Owner

Stellar Craft Catering &
Stellar Event Managament
no avatar
User

Dana McMahan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:00 pm

St Joe's

by Dana McMahan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:04 pm

We went last night as well, I wrote up a longer commentary at Louisville.com: bit.ly/6Bmep

I'm not from Louisville so I'd never been to any of the previous incarnations. It didn't feel like a brand new place though, it seemed like it had been there forever (for good reason I guess). Living in the neighborhood I do, I'm thrilled to have a decent place to grab a drink and a bite to eat within walking distance. (This is it for me unless you consider Gatti's or Whitecastle).

I was happy to see a few vegetarian options, and the prices are all less than $8. Wish they had a white wine option aside from Barefoot, but a vodka cranberry was only $3.50 so I can't complain. We'll definitely be regulars.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:54 pm

Suzi Bernert wrote:Yes he is from P-burg, graduated from Parkersburg HS (way too many years ago!). Lived on 28th St in Vienna, his brother's MIL owns the house now. We were there the 26, 27, 28 for a reunion in Harrisville. His last name is Meadows BTW.

That's right, I beleive we've discussed this before, Suzi! Small world. I graduated from PHS also, many moons ago, but his name doesn't ring a bell. Still, say hey to him from a fellow Pburg alum! Hope the reunion was great, and and that you all had a nice visit.

btw - the pepperoni rolls we ordered from Giant Eagle were excellent! I know it's technically in Ohio, but spillover counts. And it was on our way on our journey from WI, and their prices were very reasonable. Order double pepperoni - they were delicious! :D
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:52 pm

I went there for lunch today. I had the roast beef sandwich covered in gravy with mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. Wasn't the Brown Bag known for its mac and cheese? Well, they preserved that awesome. It was fine eatin'.

My companion had the pan fried chicken that looked delicious. Crispy, not greasy, covered in fresh herbs... The potatoes were not powdered as the red skins were left to add to the flavor. They really put in some work to the decor as it is laid out in old school Louisville "The city of the seventies" posters with an overall 70's hip meets modern urban design. Intriguing. And then there are the bathrooms... Edgy screen printed posters from the modern underground music scene meshed with pop culture oddities. It's unique... and its the bathroom.

The owner was super nice and mentioned that there will be music a few times a month. He said the Black Diamond Heavies will be playing there this Saturday as an opening party kinda thing. The Black Diamond Heavies (half are from Louisville) are awesome! I'll be there.

Black Diamond Heavies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esrrnu0jzMM
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:12 pm

Adam C wrote: He said the Black Diamond Heavies will be playing there this Saturday as an opening party kinda thing. The Black Diamond Heavies (half are from Louisville) are awesome! I'll be there.

Do you know what time?
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:59 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:
Adam C wrote: He said the Black Diamond Heavies will be playing there this Saturday as an opening party kinda thing. The Black Diamond Heavies (half are from Louisville) are awesome! I'll be there.

Do you know what time?

Gonna guess its a night time show so arriving at 9 or 10 should catch all of the action.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:07 pm

Just got in from having supper at Zanzabar. Was quite good. I had the grilled cheese sandwich and homemade chips. It was like you make at home: White bread, FOUR slices of cheese (ok two more than I generally use) grilled to a nice golden brown, no burned edges and not pressed down. Fast Eddy has a Z Burger dressed with fries. He ordered it medium rare - I rolled my eyes having just gotten over a wonderful dose of food sickness - and when delivered to the table it was done on the outside and hot pink on the inside. He said the fries had too much seasoning on them. Too peppery. We shared a Parma Prosciutto-Wrapped Mozzarella appetizer. OMG. Grilled and served with sourdough toast and drizzled with pommegranate molasses sauce. I wanted to lick the plate for the sauce.

We really need to do a lunch offline there. With offerings like Braised LOCAL Short Ribs; Lemon Pepper Salmon; open face roast beef: Quarter pan fried chicken and for you vegans amongst us, Vegetarian Chef's Whim Of The Day. Yeah I wondered if the Chef was vegetarian too.

Overall quite well done.
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Laura T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Louisville, KY

by Laura T » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:52 pm

I found a facebook fan page for this place, and people are saying great things about the food. Glowing comments about the quesadilla, BLT, "super chips", and fried chicken. I'll have to check it out soon.
Previous