Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Unsung Beer Styles

no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

Re: Unsung Beer Styles

by Todd Antz » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:18 pm

Jeremy Markle wrote: There is a logical, if totally obscure reason for calling it Kentucky Light. It is rather interesting , but makes demands well beyond most attention spans. In a nutshell, the beer was formulated by one Dr. Joe Power of the Sieble Institute in Chicago, IL, and formerly of the Peter Hand brewery (later Meister Brau) where the process of brewing "light beer" was invented. As a global leader in yeast technology, we (Alltech) have connections with Siebel and Dr. Power, and the formulation of our Kolsch was a collaborative effort. That's the official reason we call it a "light beer". So it's more of an homage than a simple marketing ploy. But I totally understand why people are dismissive. It's too bad, because it really is a good representation of the Kolsch style and a great summer beer.

I've honestly never tried the Kentucky Light due to the name. I had no idea that it was a Kolsch style. I might have to travel south a few miles and pick one up.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Joel Halbleib

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:13 am

by Joel Halbleib » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:50 pm

Oh yeah someone said Flanders Sour. Shhh do not let the secret out of the bag, they are already expensive enough. Todd I will have to drop you by a bottle of last years state fair winner for sour. Maybe a bottle of this years as well, time will tell.
My favorite under rated style is the Schwartz beer followed by Kentucky Kommon. We need more breweries to make it. Steam beer (California Common) is excellent as well.
Brewer
Bluegrass Brewing Co
636 E Main St
jhalbleib@bluegrassbrew.com
(502)584-brew
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:54 am

Joel Halbleib wrote:Oh yeah someone said Flanders Sour. Shhh do not let the secret out of the bag, they are already expensive enough. Todd I will have to drop you by a bottle of last years state fair winner for sour. Maybe a bottle of this years as well, time will tell.
My favorite under rated style is the Schwartz beer followed by Kentucky Kommon. We need more breweries to make it. Steam beer (California Common) is excellent as well.

How's the brett stout progressing? Todd would probably like a sample.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Joel Halbleib

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:13 am

by Joel Halbleib » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:02 pm

Good question, I do not think anyone has broke into that barrel in ages. Last night we broke into the brandy barrel mead for a first annual mead party.
Brewer
Bluegrass Brewing Co
636 E Main St
jhalbleib@bluegrassbrew.com
(502)584-brew
no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

by Scott_Shreffler » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:18 pm

Joel, many thanks to you and Matt for coming to the cask night last night. It was good to chat with you guys. I'll stop by the Tap Room sometime soon. Cheers.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Previous