Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

kathy m

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:54 pm

Ferd Grisanti's buffet disappointment on Sunday afternoon

by kathy m » Tue May 15, 2007 2:08 pm

Did anyone else eat at Ferd Grisanti's on Mother's Day ?

My roommate's family got a reservation at 3:30 that day, but when they arrived they were informed it was buffet only all day (no menu ordering). Since they were a large party, they decided to stay.

Unfortunately, 1/2 of the buffet were breakfast items, and eggs in the afternoon weren't all that appealing. Also, the staff seemed to have run out of steam by that point of the day, and several items were never replenished while they were there.

My roommate was very disappointed, especially since this was her first visit and she'd only heard great things about it before...
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Tue May 15, 2007 2:38 pm

I can understand the disappointment, but previously they weren't open on Sundays at all. They have only recently started opening on sunday for the brunch buffet and as a brunch it's not surprising so much of the buffet is breakfast items.

When taking reservations on Sundays, they probably should note this information to the customers though, so they aren't surprised, and don't arrive expecting to order off of the menu.
no avatar
User

Rod R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:39 pm

by Rod R » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:22 am

Hello,

Sorry for my delay in responding to this thread.

In the History of Ferd Grisanti Restaurant Sundays were always closed. When I took over the restaurant we were told by many that a Buffet style brunch would be popular with our guests. So after only 2 months in we started the Sunday Brunch program.

Our Guests mostly responded with encouragemnet and off we went. So when Mothers day rolled around we were well overwhelmed with 900 reservations. We tried as much as humanly possible to answer all questions asked of us, we assumed in most cases people already knew the format.

I appologize if you were looking for menu ordering, however it would have been impossible for our kitchen to handle this hybrid brunch/menu format. We are Considering starting on Normal Sundays of Menu Ordering with Buffet and Possibly staying open later on Sundays for Menu Only. We would love to hear your comments on how to improve our Brunch.

Thank you for your comments to help us improve.

Rod Rupp
Owner
Ferd Grisanti Restaurant.
no avatar
User

Nancy OLeary

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 4:14 pm

Jtown

by Nancy OLeary » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:17 pm

We had a party there for the brunch on Mother's Day. We arrived at noon, and things were missing at that point. Sorry, but it was a little tacky to throw out a bunch of eggo waffles when the regular ones ran out.

Other than that, it was really good!
no avatar
User

Rod R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:39 pm

by Rod R » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:39 pm

Hello,

Your absolutly right. It was tacky, however let me offer the effort those waffles represented.. :) On a normal Sunday we go through 1/2 to 3/4 case of waffles. On Mothers day we went through 4 cases within 3 hours. We exhusted the entire supply that we thought would last us the entire day and allow for extra. Boy were we wrong. Instead of just removing the dish we attempted to at least offer something for the children. As they are the primary people eating the waffle. So with no food service outlets open on sunday, we were forced to goto Kroger and attempt to find something. It is no excuse, but it was a very tough day and one we will prepare for much more next year.. :) We only ran out of 2 things that day one was waffles and the other was bacon. The other items were only out until we replenished as fast as we could... :) Both items we did buy locally to replenish. We stayed open till 6:00 pm that day.

This was our first Mothers day as new owners and we take these comments very seriously and will learn from them. I appreciate your feedback and ask you give us another try...

Thank you

Rod Rupp
Owner
Ferd Grisanti Restaurant
no avatar
User

NWalker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:32 am

Louisville KY

by NWalker » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:38 pm

You weren't the only place to get hit on Mothers' Day this year. We went to Volare around 6pm and they had 86ed four or five of their menu items.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:14 pm

Yes, looks like Rod needs to be given the benefit of the doubt and Mother's day is not a fair day to "review" a establishment under new ownership.

He says he's out and that looks bad and he gets what he can and he looks tacky, at least he did what he could and I give him credit for that.
no avatar
User

Nancy OLeary

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 4:14 pm

Jtown

by Nancy OLeary » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:39 am

Sorry....I messed up on the date. It was Easter when we went. I know at the time the brunch had only been going for maybe three weeks at that point.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:02 am

Rod R wrote:Hello,

On a normal Sunday we go through 1/2 to 3/4 case of waffles. On Mothers day we went through 4 cases within 3 hours.

"cases" of waffles? waffles are made from a mixture of flour, eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, baking powder and egg whites folded in.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:31 pm

"cases" of waffles? waffles are made from a mixture of flour, eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, baking powder and egg whites folded in.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I noticed that also but was nice enough not to say anything :lol:
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:50 pm

that was nice for Grisanti's, but not for the customers. :wink: