Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Heading to Selena's for lunch- need recommendations

by Deb Hall » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:26 am

Heading over there for lunch today, ( it's very close to my new office) and I'm looking for recommendations on what to order. I already know what Carolyne's to-die-for foods are- what does anyone else recommend? Note: Can't eat too heavy at lunch or I'll never get anything done this afternoon... :wink:

Deb
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Heading to Selena's for lunch- need recommendations

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:39 am

Deb, as I belatedly Webify a bunch of Voice-Tribune reviews that didn't get online over the past few months, I was just looking at my Selena's review. Here's a relevant excerpt ... I would hope the menu hasn't changed much since autumn:

About two dozen main dishes are subdivided among pastas, New Orleans specialties, Italian-style entrees, seafood and seafood platters, and are priced generally from $10.99 (for confetti spaghetti) to $23.99 (for a rib eye steak) for dinner, with most dishes priced in the teens. A shorter lunch menu drops prices to $10.99 or less for an abridged selection of the same dishes.

We enjoyed a filling lunch of salads and main courses, starting with the 1979 Salad ($5.99, crisp romaine with sliced deli ham and cheese, tomatoes, a couple of artichoke and palm hearts and crisp toasted croutons in a light vinaigrette), and a standard Caesar ($5.25).

For our main courses, we chose one Italian and one Cajun item. Linguine with white clam sauce ($10.99 for lunch) consisted of canned minced clams and grated Romano cheese over al dente linguine in a copious amount of thin, olive oil-based sauce. Shrimp etoufée ($8.99 for lunch) featured a generous ration of small shrimp out of the shell atop a bowl of buttery converted rice in a dark-brown, spicy and slightly floury roux.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:45 am

I'd definitely try the Jambalaya! It's certainly my favorite for lunch there, although anything I've tried on the menu was very good. Be sure to save room for the Bread Pudding dessert (at least split it with someone) it's definitely worth it.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks guys!

Is the Bread Pudding, Bourbon bread pudding? I love the latter ( and very bourbon-y) but find very few versions that are worth the calories.

Anybody tried the sandwiches/ Poor Boys?

Deb
no avatar
User

Stacy Roof

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:03 pm

Louisville, KY

by Stacy Roof » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:40 pm

Hubby loves the po boys - his fave is crawfish. Lots of cabbage, not too much wet.
Stacy Roof
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

by Elizabeth S » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:50 pm

A bit off the subject but are they still doing the crawfish boil on Saturdays?
no avatar
User

Stacy Roof

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:03 pm

Louisville, KY

by Stacy Roof » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:27 pm

Yes, I believe so.
Stacy Roof
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:46 pm

So tell us Deb, what did you end up having? How did you like it?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:51 pm

Had dinner with my parents tonight at Selena's. This was my first visit. My parents, who typically like chains' have taken to Selena's as they live in the neighborhood. Given that I'm a bachelor this weekend they felt pity on me and took me to dinner.

We got there right at 6:00 before the crowd arrived. I had a Dixie Lager (I'm not a beer drinker) and a cup of chicken artichoke soup. The soup was warm and comforting with some andouille sausage in addition to the chicken and artichokes. Good balance and a good starter. My parents ordered the brie appetizer and it looked nice - I'm not that big on brie.

I decided to be conservative because it was my first visit and opted for the jambalaya. It was an excellent choice. The rice's texture was soft and light with the right amount of seasoning. There was ample chicken, sausage, and shrimp to keep me satisfied. I ate half and brought the rest home for tomorrows lunch. All in all it exceeded my expectations and next time I'll bring my family.

By the time we were leaving the place was jammed. Glad to see someone doing well in these harsh economic times.