Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Norman Brinker Dies

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Norman Brinker Dies

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:00 pm

I believe that was Cork & Cleaver, one in a long list of similar this-&-that copycats.

Leann C wrote:Am I remembering correctly that Steak & Ale was the place with their menus printed on big, fake meat cleavers? My parents used to go to the one in Lexington in the '70s. My mother snagged one of the cleaver menus & brought it home in her purse. I think we still have it in the basement somewhere.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:24 pm

Just need to throw this in to remain consistent with my reputation: Brinker seems like a very interesting dude even if he is credited with inventing the fern bar.

Nonetheless: Death to Chains.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:30 pm

Ah, Hasenour's. I remember having frog legs there as a child! That place was an experience like few others at the time.
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:35 am

Robin Garr wrote:Great list! Thanks for the many additions!

Yes, some of those places are dated in style by modern standards. But it's worth remembering that Louisville's emergence as a "foodie" town did not begin only a generation ago. It goes back a long way, certainly to the 19th century. (Anybody ever seen historic menus from the original Galt House, where Charles Dickens stayed over?)

By the way, did the old downtown Mazzoni's have a full bar?

Jeffrey D. wrote:Bauer's
Pine Room (did it have food?)
Old House
Later, Normandy and Hearthstone
Kunz's
Casa Grisanti
Cunningham's
Min's Steak House (now Pat's)
The restaurant at the Executive Inn (Kurt Seigert (sp?) and his strolling strings)
Bill Boland's

And places not usually thought of: Country clubs; somewhat anachronistic now, but a big source of family dining with a drink for many years in the 70's and much, much earlier.

I'm not sure if Second St. had full bar but I'll always remember being served a 25 cent, little 5 or 6 oz. glass of beer at 15. Accompanied by my Dad's friend, I thought I was quite special. :roll:
no avatar
User

vanessa.johnston

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:45 pm

by vanessa.johnston » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:21 am

Fred Kunz wrote:Jeffrey ....Thanks for mentioning us Kunz's it seems after 114 years in business more people would remember dining with us

I remember Kunz's very well and fondly. I wish it was still around. It was one of the great downtown Louisville institutions.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Jeffrey D. wrote:Pine Room (did it have food?)

Yes it did. That was my grandfather's restaurant.
Previous