Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Phil Gissen

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:54 am

A Thank You To Louisville's Dining Treasures

by Phil Gissen » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:09 pm

I am returning to the shores of Lake Michigan for the rest of June and part of July and I want to extend a thank you to the dining halls and bars that I will surely miss:

Proof, a bar and restaurant that has the panache and style to rival the best of New York City

Corbett's, where the graciousness of the ambiance and food are only rivaled by the delightful patio.

Le Relais, a French bistro that creates some of the most consistently good food in Louisville.

Seviche, my home away from home. Thank you Anthony for your warmth, kindness and your cooking. You always bring me back to one of my favorite cities, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Varanese, both the ribs and the brisket will remain in my culinary memory.

Baxter Street Station is the quintessential bar and grill with an emphasis on fun and good food.

610 Magnolia where between the restaurant and the wine tasting room you are guaranteed a gourmet experience by Edward, Chorben and the gang.

Selena's is a restaurant we would be eating at every week if we just lived a bit closer to Anchorage.

Asiatique, a restaurant which brought me back to Asian food. (I had announced I did not like Asian food a few years ago!)

L & N Wine Bar, I promise to finish off that bottle of rum before I return to Wisconsin permanently in August.

Thank you all and I will miss Louisville's restaurants terribly for the next six weeks. However, maybe I'll lose that "pot belly" I have mysteriously developed since arriving in the "Ville" in February.

Take care.

Phil
"The Sea Was Angry That Day, My Friends, like an Old Man Trying to send Back Soup in a Deli."
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

Re: A Thank You To Louisville's Dining Treasures

by Tom Holstein » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:23 pm

Dang, didn't even get to meet you but surely enjoyed your posts. P.O.R.

Tom
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:26 pm

Hey Phil,
You promised to dine with us. come on out.

If not it was nice to meet you and Donna. Good Luck.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Andrew Hutto

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:38 pm

by Andrew Hutto » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:19 pm

hey phil (and donna),
good to meet you guys the other night... thought you were still waffling on the decision to stay or go...
thank you for you persistence on trying to get to baxter staion. guess i don't have to order the back -up of barbancourt??? i will do it, though, so i have it for your future visits.
sorry that the job hunt here has been such a downer! it is just a bad time...
best to you!
andrew
no avatar
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

by Anthony Lamas » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:51 pm

Phil and Donna! I will miss you. When I talked to you and Donna the other night, I was sad that nothing had opened up for you. I told Samantha about it and she was sad for you too. I appreciate your support of Seviche, but also your friendship. I look forward to Deer hunting and hanging out with you this winter. We'll have to set aside some non hunting time, for some rum and food. I thank you again for having my family and I in your home, for a wonderful Passover dinner. Ethan Diego still talks about it. Well my friend, I wish you the best and will talk to you soon.

As always muchas gracias y buen provecho!

P.S Lets get together before you leave
no avatar
User

Sally M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:45 pm

by Sally M » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:22 am

... "Wisconsin permanently ..." ??!
no avatar
User

Sherry Deatrick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:01 pm

by Sherry Deatrick » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:07 pm

lol...the shores of Lake Michigan will be hearing "it's not as good as when I was in Louisville...."

JUST KIDDING. DON'T GET YOUR NOSE OUTTA JOINT.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:35 pm

Phil - I believe we have lived in the same building all this time, and I never knew it. I was getting the mail in the Commodore mail room yesterday and noticed a large package addressed to "Philip Gissen." I had no idea you and Donna were in the building, and we never met.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:22 pm

Sherry Deatrick wrote:lol...the shores of Lake Michigan will be hearing "it's not as good as when I was in Louisville...."

JUST KIDDING. DON'T GET YOUR NOSE OUTTA JOINT.

Ahhhhhh Phil will do just fine back in Wisconsin. His tap root may be back in New Yawk but he's still got roots back in the upper midwest...so he's got that going for himself. Besides I just don't think his heart was ever really into making the move here permanent (but that's just my gut instinct saying that). Too bad. I think he was starting to show signs of loosening up a bit.

Going back to an early post from Anthony. The thing that worries me is the thought of Anthony...in the woods...with Phil carrying a loaded gun. If Phil is your typical New York City outdoorsman then the deer are probably safe but man I'd make dang sure Phil walked in front of me. :shock: (somehow I have a vision of Elmer Fudd stalking Bugs Bunny while singing "Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit"). :P :roll:
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio