Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Pita Hut, Yes!

no avatar
User

Reagan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:52 am

Keepin on the Sunny Side, Always on the Sunny Side

Pita Hut, Yes!

by Reagan H » Fri May 29, 2009 10:12 am

I did a search on the forum to prevent reiteration, but only saw references to pre-rebirth guessing about the Bardstown Road location. The owner, Khal Imam, is a customer of mine who told me about the grand opening of his lunch buffet last week at his new location on Bardstown Road. After the usual guilt trip when he came by again this week, I went during lunch (a lengthy trek from downtown in an hour) to an enjoyable and impressive array of quick food and service.

The "new" location (he has been there a minute) is across from Penn Station and Uptown. The trip inside is typical Bardstown road, you enter one door from the street (with a few tables outside!) and enter a hallway, with two immediate doors on your right and left. You see people on the left, but NOOOO, go right, though some seating, into and through the kitchen, where you will be helped to a seat on the blessed left side, sitting among other folk who look up at you as if to say "damn, someone else found this place!" before returning to their own food.

My husband was feeling ill, making the trek for my sake, and ordered some baba ghanouj and pita for himself, while I perused the menu. Khal suggested his new buffet, and while I saw several Mediterranean staples I wanted to sample with his style on the menu (his gyros, made with the same meat used in Chicago and New York, shaved off the spit properly, his falafel, etc) I wanted to support his new buffet, and (unable to see it behind my booth) I accepted sight unseen.

The Buffet, The Buffet. Small, succint, and from the best I can tell, the best examples of Mediterranean food done simply, right. The best thing, I couldn't tell it was a buffet. The baba ghanouj and pita provided on the buffet (we didn't look before we ordered for him on the menu) were not buffet product. On the entree buffet one is offered Italian meatballs, ravioli, and even an Italian sausage and veg medley. Travelling through the jasmine rice, and the rice with lentils, and the gyro meat (this did not come from a buffet!) the chicken kabob with onions and mushrooms. I say small, but I filled my plate round robin style with one spoon from almost all of the protein offerings. I didn't try the fish, but I saw two offerings.

The "salad" bar is just that, but for the intelligent person not overwhelmed by the variety of colour and flavour, who just wants to shovel spoonfuls of yum without components, one is able to see the ability to build your own gyro. Pitas are available, soup is available, components for a regular "house" salad are there, as well as your own "authentic" (snark jokingly intended 8) ) Greek salad variations. The Mediterranean pasta salad, with the peppercorn dressing is my new favourite pasta salad. And hummus and ghanouj and pita on a buffet? That's all one needs right there.

That is just the buffet, people. Khal mentioned his "sub" sandwiches are the same idea as the "authentic Penn Station" (sorry, couldn't help myself) subs (Italian meatball, turkey and ham) but on pita bread. We can all pretend together than we are doing it to save calories and carbs, but come on, we love the pita.

I didn't get to see the deli/bakery case until I was on my way out, but there is a whole other post that can be dedicated to this 6-8 foot case of miracles. You can buy your baklava, your bassima (sp) and burma (also reaching for spelling here) with variations of ground or pieced pistachios. You can buy lamb's meat pie. You can buy pastrami and salami. You can buy Sammi juices to wash it all down.

It sounds like people like it already, and Mr. Imam is truly a gentleman who is proud of his homeland and Mediterranean style fare, and is happy to share with you and yours. And yes, I can get to BTRoad, find a spot to park, get the quick buffet (I believe currently lunch at 11-3 M-F) and get back in an hour, satisfied and feeling authentic (last time I swear!).

Sorry for the long post, but once you try to explain this small place and the multitude of things to savour, it is hard to be brief, and even harder for me to restrain myself. I highly recommend the buffet, and the menu prices (online at myspace.com/pita hut) are such that even if you miss that window, you can still have the same experience a la carte at a good price. And even more cementing the case, this is Khal (yes, of the original locations) is still working on the new place; ie it is a work in progress that will continue to be fine tuned. Go Pita Hut!!!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Pita Hut, Yes!

by Robin Garr » Fri May 29, 2009 11:18 am

Great review, Reagan, thanks! :)
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri May 29, 2009 12:57 pm

Reagan,

Do you know if they have dinner hours? That's like 3 blocks from where I live, and I was just considering what I wanted to pick up for dinner on the way home from work. . .
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Reagan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Reagan H » Fri May 29, 2009 2:50 pm

Hey Brad,

not personally confirmed, but from their menu it said M-Sat 11a-10p, Sun 12pm-8pm; number is 409-8484. Try to find an outside table if you can and enjoy the right-before-summer heat, but the music inside is "authentic" :twisted: and comforting as well. Please enjoy!
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri May 29, 2009 3:32 pm

Thanks--I was going to check online, but I'm at the office and all myspace pages are blocked. :x
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Sat May 30, 2009 2:33 am

I live a block from there. I'm a falafel fanatic. Unfortunately, I cannot endorse their falafels. For five bucks (or so, can't remember exactly) it is a pretty meager portion. Nothing noteworthy. Edible, but not much more.

In San Francisco, I can get a huge amazing falafel for $3.75. In Berlin (yes, Germany), I can also get a huge awesome falafel for two Euros (under three bucks) (I was just there last month...yum).

We simply don't have a good falafel joint in town. The place at highland and Bardstown used to be half way decent, but then the new owners totally downsized the portions and they are no longer appealing. Yeah, cost is a factor.

I suppose Ramsi's may be at the top of my list currently for falafel. Grape Leaf is good too, but pricier.

Why is it that "real" cities can provide high quality big sandwiches for four bucks, and the best we can do is skimpy ones for five bucks? I think we're really lacking in some areas here.

Cheers,

-Nimbus (former resident of Chicago, Portland, Tucson)
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Sat May 30, 2009 11:11 am

I'll give a hearty thumbs-up second to Pita Hut. His small lunch buffet is the bomb! Everything he does is perfectly seasoned, flavorful and fresh. I especially love both of the rices he prepares for the buffet, and his roasted garlic potato soup is the finest I've ever had. Make sure you save room for the pistachio baklava that he has shipped in from a bakery in Michigan. The prices are as reasonable as the food is delicious (example: gyro, fries, and a coke for $5).
Pardon me if I sound a bit like an infomercial; I admit a vested interest in that this place is within easy walking distance and I love to see small, independent places thrive. Between this place and the trendier Zaytun (Nimbus, try their falafel; while not overwhelming for price/value, the quality is outstanding), this section of the Highlands has recently hit Mediterranean paydirt.
no avatar
User

Adam Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:42 pm

by Adam Smith » Sat May 30, 2009 11:18 am

Nimbus Couzin wrote:I live a block from there. I'm a falafel fanatic. Unfortunately, I cannot endorse their falafels. For five bucks (or so, can't remember exactly) it is a pretty meager portion. Nothing noteworthy. Edible, but not much more.

In San Francisco, I can get a huge amazing falafel for $3.75. In Berlin (yes, Germany), I can also get a huge awesome falafel for two Euros (under three bucks) (I was just there last month...yum).

We simply don't have a good falafel joint in town. The place at highland and Bardstown used to be half way decent, but then the new owners totally downsized the portions and they are no longer appealing. Yeah, cost is a factor.

I suppose Ramsi's may be at the top of my list currently for falafel. Grape Leaf is good too, but pricier.

Why is it that "real" cities can provide high quality big sandwiches for four bucks, and the best we can do is skimpy ones for five bucks? I think we're really lacking in some areas here.

Cheers,

-Nimbus (former resident of Chicago, Portland, Tucson)

I really like the falafel at Al Watan, have you tried it from there?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 30, 2009 12:29 pm

Adam Smith wrote:I really like the falafel at Al Watan, have you tried it from there?

I'll go along with that. I would be very surprised, too, if it's not "authentic" Palestinian. As to Chicago-style, I cannot attest. But we do love Al Watan.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Sat May 30, 2009 2:29 pm

I dropped in Pita Hut yesterday for an gyro and rice/lentils to go. It was a little more than I was expecting (about $10), but both were excellent. The gyro was good size, and the meat was excellent, the tomatoes and lettuce fresh (I went no onions), and the sacue refreshing without being too overwhelming with cucumber. The rice/lentils were good as well. I forgot about the dessert case Reagan mentioned, and I'm kicking myself for not getting some baklava.

I'll definitely go back--another thumbs up.
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nimbus Couzin » Sat May 30, 2009 3:13 pm

Well, sounds like I have a couple new places to check out now, and based on all these positive reviews I'll give Pita Hut another shot. It is so close to both my work (Ray's) and my home (Deerwood, currently, for just a little bit longer, but I'm not leaving the neighborhood).....I may have just caught them on an off day, and no way a place should be one strike and you're out...

Cheers!

Al Watan sounds like I must try it...Zaytun too....

-Nimbus

P.S EDIT: Haha...I looked at the map for Al Watan, and that is right next to the little shop where I've been getting fresh pita bread and hummus ingredients for my shop for the past half year. I never poked my head into the restaurant next door, but was always curious. It is a good location for me, because I drive near there for my kid's karate class twice a week. I'll be there soon....
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 30, 2009 3:19 pm

Nimbus Couzin wrote:P.S EDIT: Haha...I looked at the map for Al Watan, and that is right next to the little shop where I've been getting fresh pita bread and hummus ingredients for my shop for the past half year. I never poked my head into the restaurant next door, but was always curious. It is a good location for me, because I drive near there for my kid's karate class twice a week. I'll be there soon....

I'm pretty sure they're connected, Nimbus. One business, bakery to the left, small eatery to the right. Worth a try!

I liked Zaytun but didn't try the falafel. Their gyros is bountiful and delicious but a little idiosyncratic, being mounded high on what they call "Euro-flatbread."
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nimbus Couzin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:50 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Nimbus Couzin wrote:P.S EDIT: Haha...I looked at the map for Al Watan, and that is right next to the little shop where I've been getting fresh pita bread and hummus ingredients for my shop for the past half year. I never poked my head into the restaurant next door, but was always curious. It is a good location for me, because I drive near there for my kid's karate class twice a week. I'll be there soon....

I'm pretty sure they're connected, Nimbus. One business, bakery to the left, small eatery to the right. Worth a try!

I liked Zaytun but didn't try the falafel. Their gyros is bountiful and delicious but a little idiosyncratic, being mounded high on what they call "Euro-flatbread."

Yeah, I think it looked like they have the same name. But it isn't that much of a bakery (on the left). More like a middle eastern grocery store. Some baked goods, but really not the dominant feature. But they do have fresh pita bread daily, along with great olive oil, roasted red peppers, and chick peas a-plenty. And big containers of tahini. Lots of canned goods, etc. Pretty sure they have meat in the coolers on the left as you walk in too. It is usually pretty crowded in there when I go in, so I think they do good business. I sort of get a Palestinian feel when I go in there, but I could be wrong.

I'll definitely be trying their falafels next door within the next week or so.

Nimbus

P.S. Edit: being the researcher that I am, I dug up an old review Marty did http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... 025/-1/LEO ...it confirms that the owner is Palestinian, so I was right!
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:22 am

[quote="Nimbus Couzin"]
We simply don't have a good falafel joint in town.

Try Shiraz (various locations.) I've found their falafal to be quite enjoyable.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Reagan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Reagan H » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:42 am

Brad,

We missed each other! I was there yesterday with the loud table in the back of the joint (right next to the kitchen) with my Italian and "I just want chicken" coworkers. That might have been your sandwich Khal showed me as he came from the kitchen. My punk/nerd husband was feeling much better and took advantage of everything available, and everyone went left happy after multiple trips.

I totally hear about the price thing, but I guess I have been skewed by the buffet. The quantity and quality of that type of food is unfortunately enough of a unique experience that I couldn't help myself.

It was more crowded yesterday, (it was a Monday, tho) so take advantage of this value before it gets too crowded (11-3).

Buffet= Falafel for all! Come on Nimbus, that has to appeal! Do you endorse 11-3 time frames? :wink: :wink: :wink:
Next