Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:00 pm

st. matthews

will smoking ban apply to outdoor tables at restaurants?

by Ellen White » Fri May 11, 2007 8:21 am

When the smoking ban goes into effect, will patrons at outdoor tables at restaurants still be allowed to smoke there?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: will smoking ban apply to outdoor tables at restaurants?

by Robin Garr » Fri May 11, 2007 8:23 am

Ellen White wrote:When the smoking ban goes into effect, will patrons at outdoor tables at restaurants still be allowed to smoke there?

As far as I know, Ellen, the ban will not affect outdoor smoking. I have mixed feelings about that, since patios have become de facto smoking sections for a lot of eateries already. It's hard to justify a ban on outdoor smoking, though, although they've done it at Slugger Field.
no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:00 pm

st. matthews

outdoor smoking ban

by Ellen White » Fri May 11, 2007 10:25 am

That's too bad. I was hoping that it would apply outdoors, too. It is always too cold for me in restaurants in summer, so I enjoy eating outside, but I do not enjoy smoke.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Fri May 11, 2007 10:32 am

It might eventually get like that....many places in CA had a no smoking within 50 feet of building rule and many had non-smoking outdoor seating areas only.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 11, 2007 10:46 am

Linda C wrote:It might eventually get like that....many places in CA had a no smoking within 50 feet of building rule and many had non-smoking outdoor seating areas only.

I'd certainly support it. I don't like to pick on my friends who smoke, but allowing your personal smoke to intrude on others' personal space is getting to be less and less socially acceptable, and anyone who thinks that doing it outdoors makes it better hasn't experienced the joy of sitting on a patio next to smokers - or running the left-field Slugger Stadium smoking section to get to the pork chop stand - or tried to get inside a building with addict^H^H^H^H smokers standing around the entrance. If somebody lights up on the street, you can smell it at least 50 feet away, and that's a problem. (I would consider it equally inappropriate to wear strong perfume or cologne in public, for what it's worth ... although they're not demonstrably carcinogenic.)

And check out a "new" library book that was last read by a smoker? Eeeuuuuwwwwwww ...
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Fri May 11, 2007 11:01 am

I'm a big fan of the smoking ban, and I hate sitting next to a smoker outside, but I can live with the current one. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that a 50-feet kind of rule would just lead to a really, really contentious defeat.
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

In other smoking ban news

by Jon K » Fri May 11, 2007 2:47 pm

no avatar
User

Andrew Hutto

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:38 pm

patio's & smoking

by Andrew Hutto » Fri May 11, 2007 3:15 pm

the health department might be able to give you an answer...
we do not allow smoking on the patio at baxter station..
if people say "but, we're outside" our response is that "you are until it rains, then we have to put the awning out and now you are inside".
it was an all or nothing decision for me...
andrew
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Fri May 11, 2007 3:58 pm

Good answer!
no avatar
User

Bradley C. Pearce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:41 pm

Louisville, Ky

by Bradley C. Pearce » Fri May 11, 2007 6:51 pm

It strikes me a little odd that so many people are in favor of an outdoor patio smoking ban; when the majority of our cities patios are within 50ft of a major road. Wouldn't the fumes and noise from cars on a busy road (bardstown, frankfort etc...) be more bothersome & harmful than someone smoking? It is my belief, that when it comes to smoking. A resturant owner's right to have smoking or not, should superseed that of the customers. If people don't like that fact that a certain resturant allows smoking outside on the patio. Then don't go. Or better yet, open up your own resturant that doesn't allow smoking across the street. Let the market decide. The non-smoking establishment will flourish while the smoking one will go under if people want it so bad. Look, my point being. We live in a free market society right? I can change the TV station if I find something vulgar or crude. And I can not listen to certain music if I find it offensive. But I can't own a resturant that allows the smoking of a LEGAL substance? People should have the option. The last thing we need is the govt. telling us 1 more thing that we can or cannot do. Let the people decide their own fate, not the government. Respectfully yours.....
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Fri May 11, 2007 6:58 pm

Bradley C. Pearce wrote:But I can't own a resturant that allows the smoking of a LEGAL substance?

Right.
no avatar
User

Bill R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 am

Middletown

by Bill R » Fri May 11, 2007 7:31 pm

Linda C wrote:It might eventually get like that....many places in CA had a no smoking within 50 feet of building rule and many had non-smoking outdoor seating areas only.

The current less restrictive smoking ban has a 50' rule.
no avatar
User

Lori R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

East End, Louisville

Smoking Ban

by Lori R. » Fri May 11, 2007 8:33 pm

However, some people will always not abide by the rules.

Wednesday I was at Jack's Lounge with some friends enjoying the non-smoking environment and after a while had to use the ladies room. Opened the door to go in and WHOA! Whoever used the facility before me decided that was a good place to smoke a cigarette. Nasty! I held the door open so that the restroom could air out. I mentioned it to the manager on duty but she didn't seem to think it was a big deal. Kind of just shrugged her shoulders. It's a big deal to me when I purposely visit a non-smoking environment for the purpose of enjoying a smoke-free environment and still have to go home and wash my clothes because they reak of smoke.