Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Travis M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:06 am

Re: Louisville Taquerías/Taco Trucks

by Travis M » Thu May 21, 2009 9:54 pm

I've been lurking here for awhile, and this is as good a topic as any to make my first post on.

There is great little tacqueria in Charlestown, about a block from Charlestown Pizza Company. I work up there and those are the only two places I'll ever go for lunch at. I don't know that I even know the name, but the address is 201 Market. Please do not, do not go to the Mexican buffet in the town square by mistake!

And maybe Shawn can add some insight on the name of this little gem.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Thu May 21, 2009 11:55 pm

Hey Travis... is this a taqueria restaurant type place or run out of a truck? Just wondering what to look for? What are their prices like? and what do you suggest getting there?
no avatar
User

Juan Deleon

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:59 pm

Oxmoor

by Juan Deleon » Fri May 22, 2009 12:43 am

becky,
im from san luis potosi, we are not working right now.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Fri May 22, 2009 1:01 am

juan deleon wrote:becky,
im from san luis potosi, we are not working right now.

nice...i had some friends from san luis potosi..... Sorry to hear that you are not working right now. Everything happens for a reason you know, Dios queriendo you will be back to working soon.

Where is the restaurant Los Cantaros? I have never heard of it...
no avatar
User

Travis M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:06 am

by Travis M » Fri May 22, 2009 5:15 pm

It's inside a Hispanic grocery, with PT's bar on one side and a Swifty gas station on the other. They run the same special every day that I usually end up getting- two steak soft tacos with rice and beans for 5 bucks. The rice and beans is standard, the tacos I'd rank up there with any taco truck I've been to. Oh, and there's a great verde salsa they serve with it.

I'm still relatively new and I haven't been to any comparable place in the area, but I always look forward to going. Oh, and cash only ;)

Becky M wrote:Hey Travis... is this a taqueria restaurant type place or run out of a truck? Just wondering what to look for? What are their prices like? and what do you suggest getting there?
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon May 25, 2009 1:20 pm

My Patria: Tienda Mexicana, Carniceria, and Taqueria
808 Lyndon Lane
502-339-9420

You can't beat this place for real mexican food. It is close to where the taco wagon used to be.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5029&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=my+patria
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:41 pm

We went to Garden Market yesterday for some herbs, and after reading the 'Best Indian' thread, discovering a curry plant, and being soooo close, we decided DakShin was in order. But our timing was off. We were there around 4, and they didn't open for dinner until 5:30, and the cart wasn't open either. BUT!!! The Gordita Trailer was! We had been talking about trying this place for some time, but it's not close to home, and hadn't made it over there. So we were excited to see them open.

I had an asada gordita and a chorizo taco, and my husband had a burrito with grilled beef, peppers and onions (I didn't see what it was called on the menu). All of it was wonderful, and I really enjoyed the 'shell' that I'm assuming comprises a true gordita. Very light, with a slight crunch, wonderful corn taste, and easy to hold in the hand. The flavors of everything were wonderful. We sat at a picnic table to the side of the trailer, and enjoyed both the red and green sauces from the squeeze bottles. My tacos came with limes, which I adore, so I added the juice to both my taco and my gordita. Very happy with our meal, and we will definitely be back! My only regret - we didn't get enough to take home so I could nibble on it all day today!!!! (might be back sooner rather than later! :D)
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:29 pm

I am going to try and get to the truck at Eastland Shopping Center this week. I loves some comida mexicana. Do they serve lengua (tongue) at this location? It's my favorite.

Curious no one mentioned Santa Fe (third street across from the U of L baseball stadium in the purple building just before Central Avenue). Great tacos and enormous, over the top burritos.

La Tropicana on Preston Hwy. I think it is after the train tracks, but heading south its on your left in a small green building. I enjoy going here because it is a grocery store as well with a butcher shop with cuts of meat hanging all over the place. You can get a bottle of orange fanta and a couple of taquitos con lengua and be very, very happy.
no avatar
User

SeanS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:27 pm

Fern Creek

by SeanS » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:49 pm

Adam C wrote:I am going to try and get to the truck at Eastland Shopping Center this week. I loves some comida mexicana. Do they serve lengua (tongue) at this location? It's my favorite.

Yes, in fact they do. I've never had it myself. Don't know why as I wouldn't have said I was excited about the idea of chicharrones (pork rinds) a few months ago, either. But they convinced me, and now I order it everytime we go -- which, coincidentally was tonight!
no avatar
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:19 pm

Hey guys, has anyone tried Taqueria y Fonda Guanajuato? It is at 9901 La Grange Rd in the little strip mall where Brandon's BBQ has relocated. I stumbled in today for the first time and picked up a menu. Very extensive menu which I will try and scan and upload on Monday. No elotes though :cry: Some interesting things like a Torta Wahayana (?) along with ceviche and a dish that is calling to me...Guanajuato Cheese fries (fries, mozzarella, yellow cheese, jalepenos and bacon. There is a nice little grocery next to it with a good selection of Mexican and Guatamalan foods, fresh, frozen and shelved. Worth a visit. I am going to try the taqueria this weekend...those fries keep whispering to me... :D
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Mary Anne wrote:Hey guys, has anyone tried Taqueria y Fonda Guanajuato? It is at 9901 La Grange Rd in the little strip mall where Brandon's BBQ has relocated. I stumbled in today for the first time and picked up a menu. Very extensive menu which I will try and scan and upload on Monday. No elotes though :cry: Some interesting things like a Torta Wahayana (?) along with ceviche and a dish that is calling to me...Guanajuato Cheese fries (fries, mozzarella, yellow cheese, jalepenos and bacon. There is a nice little grocery next to it with a good selection of Mexican and Guatamalan foods, fresh, frozen and shelved. Worth a visit. I am going to try the taqueria this weekend...those fries keep whispering to me... :D

Haven't been there, but is this in the same strip center where the Lyndon El Tarasco is? We love that El Tarasco (we've been to other El Tarasco's we didn't like nearly as much), and there is a Mexican grocery at the other end of that strip, so I wondered if that's where you were referencing. Regarless, that menu sounds very enticing, and I want to check them out!

[Sidenote - I didn't know Brandon's BBQ relocated. I only tried them once, years ago, and was so unimpressed. But I recently read a review of them that sounded like they actually are smoking their meat these days (when I was there 100 years ago, I would've guessed their pulled pork was from Sam's).]
no avatar
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:55 am

Yup, that's the strip mall, I couldn't remember the name of El Tarasco but I knew it was there at the far end. Don't pass the grocery by on the way over, it's got a really nice assortment of stuff, intriguing little bags of candy, a pretty big refrigerated display, homemade baked goods, cookware/dishes and a nicely stocked meat counter. I was the only Gringa in there, which to me is always a good sign! Same story in the Taqueria, there is a little counter where you place your order at the back, a very friendly and helpful ordertaker (takeout menus to study at home), plenty of chairs and tables to sit and the food I saw looked really yummy.
Previous