Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Bank Street Brewhouse = Great Times

no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Bank Street Brewhouse = Great Times

by Brad Keeton » Mon May 18, 2009 11:15 am

We stopped in BSB for the first time on Saturday evening. The weather was great, and the two huge bay doors were both open to the street. The inside is small, but sleek and clean, and with the doors open it almost felt like the whole restaurant was outside.

We started with spririts from the small, but tastefully chosen sprit menu. All are $9.00, but the pours are HUGE. I felt like I was cheating them by only paying $9.00 for a 3 or 4 finger pour of Laphroaig (10-year cask strength, I think. . .). Along these lines, the beer selection is relatively small but well chosen, with a nice mix of NABC and craft offerings. From what I could tell, on-site brewing should be underway in the coming months.

The food was outstanding, and much better than I was expecting. We all started with the fries. I loved them, my friend liked them but felt Cafe Classico's were slightly better for Belgian style fries. The mussels were amongst the best I've had--very high quality, sitting down in the sublime coconut milk. My wife had the seared scallops with carrot mousse, and gave it two thumbs up.

Our service was excellent. There was a good crowd, too, with most tables and the bar area full.

Bottom line, BSB has well prepared, well thought out, and carefully crafted upscale food at affordable prices, in an incredibly relaxing atmosphere. Great job to Roger and his crew.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Bank Street Brewhouse = Great Times

by Marsha L. » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:22 am

I've been remiss in not posting about having lunch with Gary F at BSB last week. It was one of those really hot days, but the garage doors remained closed because the city is installing a sidewalk for the building.

First of all, the space is great, with super-high ceilings and a nice view of the brewing vats through a glass wall. Also, the color scheme echoes some of the colors in the decor at NABC.

Secondly, the lunch menu is elegantly short, as is the list of top-shelf liquors. The beer list is elegantly long. I'd forgotten they also only serve boutique sodas, no Coca Cola or Pepsi products. That's classy! I went with a Hoptimus, though.

We ordered the frites and they were everything they've been cracked up to be. We ordered house-made mayo, lavender oil and a red pepper rouille for dipping. That is a mountain of potatoes! We couldn't even finish them between the two of us.

Our server was great - we didn't ask her name but she was efficient and professional, and did not push us for an order while we sat and gabbed for 20 minutes or so when we first got there (of course she gave us menus and checked with us once or twice, but never seemed put out that we were taking our time).

Gary had a salad special topped with bacon, potatoes, a perfectly poached egg and a lemon vinaigrette. I opted for the mushrooms en croute with brown lentils, which was presented in two beautiful little souffle dishes that kept my meal warm for a good half an hour. Vegetarians take note, this is not your standard "I guess we'll feed the vegetarians mushrooms" dish. Delicious. Mussels are also on the lunch menu.

Only one small quibble - I wished there were salt and pepper shakers on the table, or at least the offer of freshly ground pepper, but we didn't ask and they may have been available upon request. Oh, and they offer no desserts *ahem* ;)

We saw the two chefs in immaculate whites in the dining room, and we got to chat with both Roger and David. Bathrooms are unisex, which is cool with me (there are two).

Great place - we asked to see the dinner menu and it looks fantastic as well. I'll make it a point to return for dinner. I didn't pay very much attention to the prices or see the total bill since Gary was treating, but from what I remember from the menu it was all very reasonable. And Gary and I both noticed how short the travel time was from here in the Highlands to BSB's door. We mentioned that it probably took less time to get there than it would have to travel to somewhere on Hurstbourne. Easy drive, easy directions.

So go there! This week!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:04 am

I need simple directions. I went to NA looking for it, couldn't find it, and stopping locals to ask proved useless. No one we asked had ever heard of it, and also did not know where Bank Street is.

So, where is it exactly?
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:08 am

Leah, my directions said 64 W to Indiana, take exit 123, merge onto W Elm, right on 3rd, right on spring, right on Bank. Gary's directions were the same until getting off the interstate and had us taking three lefts instead, but we still got there. It's right in the heart of Downtown New Albany, very near the Windsor/late great lamented Bistro New Albany.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:02 pm

I could have sworn I posted about our lunch- I guess it was just in my head. Oh, dear!
Apart from the wonderful company the food was really delicious as Marsha mentioned and I was happy to get the chance to finally meet Roger and David. A wonderful way to spend a hot summer's afternoon.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:33 pm

It was an unexpected pleasure seeing you both, as I was in "where must I be next" mode.

From Louisville, the three right hand turn plan is the best. And, for anyone seeking directions, just ask the locals where the "day old bread store" used to be. Everyone knows, and that's the building we're in.

Josh is probably reading this, and can comment on the salt/pepper question.

Brewing is expected to start by the 18th of July. The sidewalk's mostly done, as is the patio. Here are some pictures: http://cityofnewalbany.blogspot.com/200 ... pdate.html

We might even have a sign soon.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Isaac F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:10 am

by Isaac F » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:23 pm

Btw, in reference tothe Laphroig (one of my favorites), I believe that BSB carries the unchill filtered version. Very hard to find, and very delicious.
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Isaac F wrote:Btw, in reference tothe Laphroig (one of my favorites), I believe that BSB carries the unchill filtered version. Very hard to find, and very delicious.

Unchill filtered version? What does that mean?

It brings me back to when I used to watch TV, and saw constant references to "cold-filtered" or some crap like that. Believe me, when you filter beer, it is done cold. It is usually done after the final stage of fermentation, prior to putting the beer into the serving tanks, or other tanks prior to bottling. The beer is already at a very cold temperature at this stage (we want the yeast to flocculate, i.e. settle to the bottom, so it can be removed). If you tried warm filtering, you'd be guaranteed of no carbonation left in your brew (not desirable).

Simply put, nobody warm filters.

So what does unchill filtered mean? Is it like "uncool" as in not hip?????

Just hate to see the mass marketing crap passed along...

Cheers..

Nimbus
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:02 am

Isaac F wrote:Btw, in reference tothe Laphroig (one of my favorites), I believe that BSB carries the unchill filtered version. Very hard to find, and very delicious.

You are correct.
unchill.jpg

Nimbus Couzin wrote:
Simply put, nobody warm filters.

So what does unchill filtered mean? Is it like "uncool" as in not hip?????

Just hate to see the mass marketing crap passed along...

Cheers..

Nimbus

Nobody warm filters beer but apparently the Scots do it with Scotch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:44 am

From the Scotch whisky wiki: Many whiskies are bottled after being "chill-filtered". This is a process in which the whisky is chilled to near 0°C (32°F) and passed through a fine filter. This removes some of the compounds produced during distillation or extracted from the wood of the cask, and prevents the whisky from becoming hazy when chilled, or when water or ice is added.

Some purists contend that chill-filtering whisk(e)y removes some of the character.

I might be wrong, but I don't think that "non-chillfilterered" actually means "warm filtered" - it's merely an extra step that clarifies the liquor.

By the way, George T. Stagg would also be classified as non-chillfiltered.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."