Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Outdoor dining in the Highlands

no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Outdoor dining in the Highlands

by Alanna H » Thu May 10, 2007 1:17 pm

Okay guys, need your expertise here! Have a rare opportunity to get together with some girlfriends for dinner tomorrow night who actually like eating at non-chains :D . As the foodie of the group, I'm in charge of getting ideas so we can make a decision of where to go. Our criteria:
* In the Highlands, since we are walking
* Outdoor seating
* Fruity girly mixed drinks with little umbrellas would be great!
* No pizza places
* Halfway kid friendly because my 7 year old will be there, but definitely don't want any kind of party/chuckie cheese atmosphere. Mainly, just be willing to accomodate with kids portions and a drink with a lid!
* Preferably have an online menu to review
* Not too expensive. Of course, pricing is always relative but Seviche and Avalon are out of range. Dammit, I swear I will get to Seviche one day!
We are all burned out on Ditto's. So far we are looking at Palermo, Kashmir, and Molly Malone's but I know there are lots more options out there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Outdoor dining in the Highlands

by Robin Garr » Thu May 10, 2007 1:26 pm

Alanna H wrote:So far we are looking at Palermo, Kashmir, and Molly Malone's

Palermo! No umbrellas in the drinks, I don't think, but it's a great place. With all respect to the other two, it beats them with one hand tied behind its back.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu May 10, 2007 1:31 pm

Alanna H wrote:Okay guys, need your expertise here! Have a rare opportunity to get together with some girlfriends for dinner tomorrow night who actually like eating at non-chains :D . As the foodie of the group, I'm in charge of getting ideas so we can make a decision of where to go. Our criteria:
* In the Highlands, since we are walking
* Outdoor seating
* Fruity girly mixed drinks with little umbrellas would be great!
* No pizza places
* Halfway kid friendly because my 7 year old will be there, but definitely don't want any kind of party/chuckie cheese atmosphere. Mainly, just be willing to accomodate with kids portions and a drink with a lid!
* Preferably have an online menu to review
* Not too expensive. Of course, pricing is always relative but Seviche and Avalon are out of range. Dammit, I swear I will get to Seviche one day!
We are all burned out on Ditto's. So far we are looking at Palermo, Kashmir, and Molly Malone's but I know there are lots more options out there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ramsis and The Bristol have nice outside seating in that neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Thu May 10, 2007 1:36 pm

With your criteria, I would totally go with Uptown Cafe (http://www.uptownlouisville.com/ )or Palermo Viejo
(http://palermoviejo.info/). I've come to love dining on both of their outdoor patios.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Matt F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Louisville

by Matt F » Thu May 10, 2007 1:38 pm

Uptown Cafe has outdoor seating...price range may or may not be up your alley. No umbrella drinks, but their desserts will satisfy any child's sweet tooth (grownups' too, for that matter)

EDIT: I really should type faster
nice call Amy :wink:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

~Tom Waits
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu May 10, 2007 2:42 pm

Seviche doesn't have to be expensive. You can orders apps and seviches and get out of there for the same amount as the other places named so far.
no avatar
User

Chris Dunn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:34 pm

Shepherdsville

by Chris Dunn » Thu May 10, 2007 2:55 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Alanna H wrote:So far we are looking at Palermo, Kashmir, and Molly Malone's

Palermo! No umbrellas in the drinks, I don't think, but it's a great place. With all respect to the other two, it beats them with one hand tied behind its back.

Agreed, but it will have to be a BYOU night for the ladies.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

Outdoor Dining

by Gretchen D. » Thu May 10, 2007 10:55 pm

I agree that Seviche doesn't have to be expensive. They have a great outdoor patio and the food is fantastic. I have taken all three of my kids there for dinner (8,5, and 3) and they really put out for us... it was a memorable evening. So much so that my little girl insisted to go back for her birthday dinner - which we will be doing on Saturday.

Also, I agree with Robin regarding Palermo. We took all three kids there as well for another one's birthday and we had wonderful food and great service (from Jessica). Our children had a great dining experience!

Let us know where you decide. Have a great evening!
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sat May 12, 2007 6:09 pm

Thanks to all for the suggestions, we ended up having a great time last night. My daughter agreed to babysit her little brother so I got to enjoy a wonderful dinner at Palermo.
We got there about 8:00, sat outside and enjoyed a pitcher of white wine sangria. It was light, fruity, and refreshing. I rarely drink because I don't like the taste of alcoholic beverages but this was really good. For an appetizer we shared a plate of asparagus, sweet potato fries, some kind of white cheese, a roasted tomato, and breaded portabella. Very yummy.
I also had a salad before our meals came, with tomato, cucumber, and hearts of palm mixed with the house dressing. I had never had hearts of palm before and didn't care for the taste. But the other vegetables were freshy fresh and the house dressing was nice and not overwhelming.
For dinner I had the ribeye with chimichurri sauce, ordered medium. It was cooked perfectly but I think next time I will order it medium rare. I also had a side of french fries- talk about addictive! It was a large plate so I shared with the others and they enjoyed them just as much.
One friend ordered the plate that has chorizo, ribeye, flank steak, and NY strip. How this girl stays as tiny as she does is beyond me! She really enjoyed her food and I meant to sample some of the flank steak but I was too engrossed with my ribeye. Her sister had the tilapia in a tomato sauce. Now I think seafood is pretty disgusting and do not eat it at all, so I can't vouch for the taste. But she absolutely loved it and cleaned her plate.
For dessert the three of us shared a flan with side of dulce de leche and a crepe that was also filled with dulce de leche and had a side of banana ice cream. We couldn't choose a favorite and I was afraid we might come to blows as we tried to scrape every last bit of food of the plates.
Service was so wonderful....I already knew what I wanted to order as I had reviewed the menu in detail earlier that day. However, my friends had a very tough time deciding and it took a while before we were ready to order. Our server couldn't have been more patient and understanding. She was able to answer all our food questions and give recommendations (like the sangria) and she was efficient without being intrusive. Even as we sat outside long after the meal had finished just talking she never rushed us.
Total bill was $94 plus $20 tip, and we couldn't have asked for a better evening.