Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Details of Les' case and THANKS! FOR YOUR HELP

by Leah S » Fri May 08, 2009 2:23 pm

Les moved to TCU today after four days in ICU. Yeah.
Now the battle in the courts begins. Here are details:

May 15
Courtroom 102
Judge: Katy King
Process: There will be a probable cause hearing which determines whether or not there's probable cause that a felony or felonies have been committed.

Current charges include:
4th DUI within 5 years, a felony
Assault 1, a felony
Wanton endangerment, (either 2 or 3 of those), a felony
Leaving the scene of an accident, a felony
Aggravated circumstances, alcohol level above .18 (Met blew .196), increases penalties

If probable cause is found, then the case will be sent to Circuit Court for the Commonwealth's Attorney to prosecute.

As many people as can please show up at courtroom 102 at 10:30. At that point we will meet with the prosecutor Ms. Meredith and the Victim's Advocate, Ms. Vize. The judge will be made aware of the number of people in attendance for this case.

I asked why there hasn't been a charge of at least attempted vehicular homicide. That type of charge has to be made by the Commonwealth's Attorney. When the case gets transferred to Circuit Court (should happen next Friday) then we'll need a letter/email campaign to encourage additional charges be filed.

Lastly, the prosecutor has already talked to one of the two arresting officers to make sure he's going to be in court. He is.

Please feel free to forward this email to Neighborhood Associations, neighbors, bicycle enthusiasts, and any one who knows Les and Nancy. Let's get this guy off the streets of Louisville!
Last edited by Leah S on Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

Re: Details of Les' case

by Mike Hardin » Fri May 08, 2009 4:07 pm

There's also a group working on a bill dealing with reckless drivers who hit pedestrians or cyclists. You can read about it here:http://brokensidewalk.com/2009/02/09/one-road-bill-could-hold-reckless-drivers-accountable/
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat May 09, 2009 9:56 am

Leah you might want to get in touch with Stephen George at LEO Weekly. Stephen is super bright guy (a very civically minded ) with a personal interest in making the world a safer place for bikers. A little press wouldn't hurt. Contact him via their website http://www.leoweekly.com
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sat May 09, 2009 10:14 am

Thanks Carla!

I've also created a Facebook page to get the word out about the court case, when and where. In a week, I'll need to organize a letter writing/email campaign.

http://www.facebook.com/s.php?q=bike+en ... 256&ref=nf
no avatar
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Tue May 12, 2009 2:15 pm

Leah, Don't worry -- probable cause will be found. Or it might be waived to the grand jury, where felony indictments will ultimately be issued.
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue May 12, 2009 5:46 pm

Yes, I think it's a slam-dunk also, BUT, this is Met's 4th DUI in five years and I think he walked on the previous ones. It's also his fourth arrest since April of this year and he walked on that stuff too. So, in reality, you can't assume. You have to be vigilant and make yourself heard. The MADD advocates said that the reason a lot of charges get reduced it because no one from the victim's side is there or working their side.

I'm assuming nothing.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed May 13, 2009 9:13 am

Oh, and it may just be routine, but the pre-trial RELEASE paperwork has already been completed and is just awaiting the judge's signature. Yes, we have a copy of the form.

So, really, don't assume anything.
no avatar
User

Mandy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Old Louisville

by Mandy R » Wed May 13, 2009 5:03 pm

I had heard about the incident as I also live in Old Louisville but hadn't realized that it was someone from the forum...I was already horrified as it is. Cyclists have been out for a while and it has shocked me at the disregard they are given in any case (even after I had a accident due to someone totally ignoring me around Brook and Oak a couple of years ago, at least all I came out with was a couple of probable fractures on my ribcage and luckily no damage to my liver or kidney). And to combine that with a drunk driver with obvious road rage *shudder*. I HATE how easy drunk drivers get off on charges!!! This isn't coming just from the standpoint of working emergency medicine, I had two brothers killed by a drunk driver. It's unbelieveable how so many repeat offenders don't often get punished until they hurt or kill someone, when they should have lost the ability to cause such harm long before it came to that point (as is apparent in this case) :evil: My prayers are with Les and his family, and if people are needed for support in numbers then count me IN! This guy needs to be taken off the street before he actually does kill somebody next time.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed May 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Thanks for your support Mandy. Les has been a server and a manager in Louisville's restaurants for years and years so quite a few restaurant people know him. And he and DD are Old Lou residents also. If you're on Facebook, come join our Group. The link is in a post above.
no avatar
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Wed May 13, 2009 7:07 pm

I've been out of touch studying the last couple of weeks and I hadn't heard anything about this. However I'm joining the Facebook group now, and if you need anyone me to call or petition someone let me know. My prayers and best wishes are with all involved.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Wed May 13, 2009 8:47 pm

And you were sorely missed, Paul.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Fri May 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Any word yet on today's events?
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon May 18, 2009 5:03 pm

Probable Cause was found and Mr. Met's case goes to the Grand Jury on June 8. Mr. Met remains in jail.

Amazingly, Les returned to work today - ahead of schedule.
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon May 18, 2009 5:44 pm

That's wonderful news, Leah.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Mon May 18, 2009 7:48 pm

Amen. (...and i mean that sincerely...)
Next