Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Brussels or Vienna?

Would you visit Brussels or Vienna?

Poll ended at Tue May 15, 2007 11:10 pm

Brussels
27%
Vienna
73%

Total votes : 26
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu May 10, 2007 10:08 pm

I'm coming to this late, and I love Vienna, but for the record, your fundamental premise was somewhat off.

The part about driving through Luxembourg on the way BACK is key. The Ardennes and then down the Rhine is the very reason to go that way, not so much Brussels itself, though it's a criminally underrated kind of place. Even with tourists, Brugge and Prague both are better choices.

In Vienna, I've tended to stay in the neighborhoods out of center and use the excellent public transportation to get back and forth. I realize you're probably not going for the beer, but there are some cool brewpubs. E-mail me privately if you want details.

When in Vienna, and following the Danube through the vineyards Robin mentioned, be sure and visit the abbey at Melk.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Thu May 10, 2007 10:20 pm

Roger,

Email is on its way. Thanks,

Charles
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Thu May 10, 2007 10:24 pm

GaryF wrote:Try Pension Pertschy, http://www.pertschy.com, it's on a quiet street but right in the middle of the city. The rooms are clean anad the beds are very comfy.
They have a very nice b'fast buffet and helpful staff. The last time I was there the rates were still under $100.

I checked. Thanks to the weak $ and peak season, looks like rooms are $127 now, though I'll look into the pay for 3/stay 4 deal they have.
no avatar
User

John Schuler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:12 pm

Brugge

by John Schuler » Sun May 13, 2007 10:31 am

I would definitely reccommend Brugge over both of the others. it is a beautiful, beautiful town with great food, great beer, and great chocolate. Probably my favorite place in Europe. It is only 50 minutes from Brussels by train. If you go, stay at Number 11 Bed and Breakfast. they have a website - if you are interested I will post the link. In addition there are many wonderful restaurants. Cant list them all but some favorites of mine are:

Chez Olivier
De Pepermolen
Den Gouden Harynk
Brasserie Belge

If you really want to go to Austria then go to Salzburg instead, and take a day trip into the Alps to Halstatt. It is gorgeous.
no avatar
User

John Schuler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:12 pm

by John Schuler » Sun May 13, 2007 10:35 am

oops - didn't see that tickets were purchased already. Anways, got to Brugge if you get the chance!

And let us know how Vienna was.
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

by Holly C » Sun May 13, 2007 8:43 pm

Charles W. wrote:Now: any specific rec's for hotels or restaurants in Vienna. We're not going 5-star on the hotel, but we'd like for it to be pleasant to be in the room (we won't be going 6-10 each day), a good bed, and a good location.

I was last in Vienna in 1998 (wow, it doesn't seem like it was that long ago!) and stayed at the Hotel Drei Kronen (Three Kings). It was quaint but very clean, had a nice breakfast spread, and was pretty centrally located, if I remember correctly. It also had an elevator with a funny door -- each floor had a regular hinged door to allow entry and exit, but the elevator itself did not have an internal door, so as you were rising you saw the wall of the elevator shaft along the way.
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sun May 13, 2007 10:06 pm

Same thing about the elevator in the hotel the bride and I were staying at in Salzburg. No internal door. We were riding up one night with another couple and I remarked that would never be allowed in the States due to the liability. The man turned to us and said "In Austria, we presume you are smart enough not to stick your body in the way". Wish it worked like that here. We really enjoyed Salzburg. Wien was O.K.
Previous