Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Brussels or Vienna?

Would you visit Brussels or Vienna?

Poll ended at Tue May 15, 2007 11:10 pm

Brussels
27%
Vienna
73%

Total votes : 26
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

Brussels or Vienna?

by Charles W. » Tue May 08, 2007 11:10 pm

Okay, this sounds like a pretentious question, but here goes. I have a 6 day stopover in Frankfurt in July on my way to Africa My wife will join me in Europe. Frankfurt is apparently a pleasant, but not all that interesting, city. So we're looking at more interesting places we can get to without too much trouble:

1) Drive to Brussels, spend a few days and drive back through the Ardennes and Luxemburg.
2) Take a flight on Air Berlin (cheap!) to Vienna and spend the time there.

We've already ruled out Bavaria (not appealing to the spousal unit). So, any thoughts on food, restaurants, or everything else between Brussels and Vienna?
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: Brussels or Vienna?

by TP Lowe » Tue May 08, 2007 11:14 pm

Charles W. wrote:Okay, this sounds like a pretentious question, but here goes. I have a 6 day stopover in Frankfurt in July on my way to Africa My wife will join me in Europe. Frankfurt is apparently a pleasant, but not all that interesting, city. So we're looking at more interesting places we can get to without too much trouble:

1) Drive to Brussels, spend a few days and drive back through the Ardennes and Luxemburg.
2) Take a flight on Air Berlin (cheap!) to Vienna and spend the time there.

We've already ruled out Bavaria (not appealing to the spousal unit). So, any thoughts on food, restaurants, or everything else between Brussels and Vienna?

All in for Vienna!
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue May 08, 2007 11:16 pm

TP Lowe wrote:All in for Vienna!

Any particular reasons?
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue May 08, 2007 11:24 pm

Charles W. wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:All in for Vienna!

Any particular reasons?

I think Vienna has superior cultural offerings (not that you specifically asked about that ...). But, great museums, theater and plenty else to keep you occupied for a visit (or several).
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed May 09, 2007 12:35 am

Brussels is fun for a day- but how many moules frites can a person eat? The old city is lovely but you can do it in less than a day. The rest of the city is new and corporate/government archtecture. Zzzzz
Vienna is wonderful. I was there for 10 days and never got bored. The museums are first rate, and the city is easy walking for the most part. When you need to go farther away the transit system is a snap.
I had a couple memorable meals at Cantinetta Antinori (Tuscan). It's owned by the Chianti makers and they also feature their own olive oil as I recall. The dish I most recall, indeed the reason I had a second meal, is the Panna Cotta.
For a hoot there is Griechenbeisl with servers in lederhosen. It is ancient- back to the 1500's if I remember correctly, and serves classic fare.
The Sachertorte is better at Demel's than at the Hotel, and Demel's has tiny boxes of candy that all my friends loved.
You can do a long day trip to Prague or Budapest too.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 09, 2007 7:44 am

Charles W. wrote:So, any thoughts on food, restaurants, or everything else between Brussels and Vienna?

Tough call because they're both lovely cities with plenty of history and plenty of good things to eat. But I'm going to join the chorus favoring Vienna, especially in the spring time. It's one of the world's great cities. I'm not much good for specific suggestions, as the last time I was in both cities (on the same trip, actually) was in 1998. I'll say that if Steierich is still around, though, it's a great high-end restaurant experience. If you're a serious wine geek and are there long enough to rent a car, the Wachau wine region is memorable, and only about an hour west of the city on the Danube.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Wed May 09, 2007 12:25 pm

You can't lose with either. May need more than six days with Vienna. I would throw Prague in the mix if it has yet to be proposed. Which isnt a choice but it would be mine. Vienna would win out before Brussels though. Ah, GaryF has a good post similar to my feelings.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed May 09, 2007 12:43 pm

Nothing against Brussels, but I would DEFINITELY choose Vienna in that scenario.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Wed May 09, 2007 2:19 pm

We considered Prague, but from what I hear, there are now so many tourists there in the summer, in a city never build for it, that it can be unpleasant in July.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Wed May 09, 2007 2:39 pm

Charles W. wrote:We considered Prague, but from what I hear, there are now so many tourists there in the summer, in a city never build for it, that it can be unpleasant in July.

Yeah, GaryF's suggestion was a good one. If you go to Vienna, it's not that far to have a one day-er in Prague but honestly, you will want to see all of Vienna and would just be putting pressure on yourself by adding things to the itenerary unless you are game like I tend to be.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

travel

by Heather Y » Wed May 09, 2007 2:39 pm

Hubby lives most of the time in Belgium ( yea yea, we make it work), I have been... lovely city, medieval, history, outstanding beers, chocolate, some of the best cuisine beyond "frites" etc..

However, I do believe if I had the opp to go to Vienna, I would choose Vienna. Prague is too a place not to be missed (been there too), but we can't be everywhere.

I Say Vienna, too!
no avatar
User

John Mayhugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:56 pm

by John Mayhugh » Wed May 09, 2007 5:32 pm

Depends on what you're interested in doing. I understand the enthusiasm people have for Vienna. It's a prettier city with more sightseeing. But for food & beer, Brussels is a clear winner. There is far more there than mussels, fries, & chocolate. My Belgian friends liked to brag about having French quality & German quantity. Pretty close to true. The best meal I've ever had was in Brussels.

Near Brussels are Ghent (a beautiful, really underrated city) and Brugges. These are both within easy driving distance and I think when you put all of these together it's a better trip than Vienna. Belgium is scenic.

And if you wanted to do some extra driving, you could go from Frankfurt thru Heidelberg and spend a night or two in Strasbourg (Alsatian food & wine, plus it's a beautiful city). Then go from there to Brussels.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Wed May 09, 2007 5:53 pm

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like Brussels would be great, but we're going to for Vienna. Just purchased the tickets.

Now: any specific rec's for hotels or restaurants in Vienna. We're not going 5-star on the hotel, but we'd like for it to be pleasant to be in the room (we won't be going 6-10 each day), a good bed, and a good location.
no avatar
User

Jeff Gillenwater

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:07 pm

by Jeff Gillenwater » Thu May 10, 2007 10:45 am

Charles,

If no one has recent, firsthand hotel experience, you may want to checkout eurocheapo.com. I've not been to Vienna since the mid-90s, but I've had good luck with their recommendations in other Eurpoean cities more recently.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu May 10, 2007 6:10 pm

Try Pension Pertschy, http://www.pertschy.com, it's on a quiet street but right in the middle of the city. The rooms are clean anad the beds are very comfy.
They have a very nice b'fast buffet and helpful staff. The last time I was there the rates were still under $100.
Next