Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: City Portrait in Garden & Gun Magazine

by Deb Hall » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:52 pm

[quote="Robin Garr"]From the "About Us" page:

Garden & Gun is a Southern lifestyle magazine that's all about the magic of the new South – the sporting culture, the food, the music, the art, the literature, the people, and the ideas. It espouses a strong conservation ethic that grows out of its connection to the land, and it reveals the beauty of the South.

All sorts of snark comes to mind, but I think I'll leave it alone. 8)

Robin,

All snark aside :wink: - having read the magazine, they do a great job in all those areas. But as a marketing person, I just couldn't believe they went with that name ( and in HUGE letters on the cover). I almost didn't pick it up the first time I saw it- presupposing the content...

Deb
no avatar
User

Jesse Hendrix-Inman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 16, 2008 11:22 am

Schnitzelburg

by Jesse Hendrix-Inman » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:07 pm

The original Garden and Gun was a dance club in Charleston in the 1970's. I was living in Charleston when the magazine launched and from what I understood, the founders like the name and decided to use it for the title.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:56 pm

Charles W. wrote:Charleston is certainly Southern, but is a one-off kind of place. Even in SC, Charleston is in its own world.

I agree. and would add Savannah as a somewhat similar-only-different model. (For that matter, I'd argue that Louisville is in its own world from the rest of Kentucky, but that's a different story.)
no avatar
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Paristown Point/Germantown

by Josh A » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:55 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Sounds great! Good work by Pableaux (except maybe for his failure to keep that 4SL thang quiet).

I've got to ask, though: GARDEN and GUN!?

Who in the hell is the target demographic for that magazine? :shock:

I have a garden, more or less, and I have a gun, more or less. It's kind of a frankengun from back when the british still kind of controlled india though, and I can't actually get ammo for it, so I dunno if that counts. I need to get out and weed the area that my herbs are though. meh, yardwork.

Besides, they did an article on Tupelo Honey, and I am all about the honey.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:17 pm

Josh A wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Sounds great! Good work by Pableaux (except maybe for his failure to keep that 4SL thang quiet).

I've got to ask, though: GARDEN and GUN!?

Who in the hell is the target demographic for that magazine? :shock:

I have a garden, more or less, and I have a gun, more or less. It's kind of a frankengun from back when the british still kind of controlled india though, and I can't actually get ammo for it, so I dunno if that counts. I need to get out and weed the area that my herbs are though. meh, yardwork.

Besides, they did an article on Tupelo Honey, and I am all about the honey.

Love that Tupelo Honey! We brought some back from Destin last year and loved it so much that this year, we made a special trip back to the same farmstand ( run by the 80 year old owner). This time bought 3 pints!

Deb
Previous