Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Jeff Ruby thanks Louisville.

no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri May 11, 2007 7:33 am

Robin Garr wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:Drat - we've been discovered. Does that mean you are going to start selling Cialysis ads on the site, Robin?

Newp!

But tell me this: Am I being hyper-sensitive, or did the editors set up the report in such a way as to make the average reader believe that the quoted excerpts from Chef Dave and others were posted on the CJ's Website? It sure read that way to me, but as I said, I'm paranoid ...

I didn't read it that way, but I may have been reading what I wished to see...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 11, 2007 7:35 am

TP Lowe wrote:I didn't read it that way, but I may have been reading what I wished to see...

Naw, I'm probably paranoid. Just curious, anyway. Thanks for the candid response! :)
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Fri May 11, 2007 7:57 am

David Clancy wrote:
Jeremy J wrote:I think a protest is ridiculous, and making it a race thing is equally stupid, but after watching Ruby's CNN interview, while what he did may seem noble to us, I certainly get the impression that morals were not what caused him to do what he did...
I think it is a brilliant move on the part of Mr. Ruby....his sales will probably triple from this point forward. Damn, I wish O.J. stopped in here over Derby!! "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"...particularly O.J.......Hat's off to Ruby!!
Interesting that the CJ used only the quote "I wish OJ stopped in here over Derby!!" Feels like something gets lost somewhere when I'm taken out of context like that.........
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Fri May 11, 2007 8:05 am

Hey, the CJ used my post in their story today. I feel, so used :lol:
Must go find soap and hot water.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Fri May 11, 2007 10:52 am

This even made one of my other fav sites, Waiterrant.net

http://waiterrant.net/?p=448
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Fri May 11, 2007 6:36 pm

The C-J twisted my position on a story about the Wikipedia faker a while back. So, this is nothing new.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Fri May 11, 2007 6:53 pm

Steve Magruder wrote:The C-J twisted my position on a story about the Wikipedia faker a while back. So, this is nothing new.
Yes, but now I guess what I'm saying is "welcome wife beaters and murderers"....just kinda pisses me off. While I am now protected from the Louis Colemans of the world, it vexes me to see my quotes twisted in such a fashion. I told the reporter that called that I would kick OJ, Mel Ignatow, or Hitler out of my place in a New York minute and now, according to the CJ follow-up, it seems I have a big welcome mat in front of my restaurant. Disturbing.......,.
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri May 11, 2007 8:49 pm

David Clancy wrote:
Steve Magruder wrote:The C-J twisted my position on a story about the Wikipedia faker a while back. So, this is nothing new.
Yes, but now I guess what I'm saying is "welcome wife beaters and murderers"....just kinda pisses me off. While I am now protected from the Louis Colemans of the world, it vexes me to see my quotes twisted in such a fashion. I told the reporter that called that I would kick OJ, Mel Ignatow, or Hitler out of my place in a New York minute and now, according to the CJ follow-up, it seems I have a big welcome mat in front of my restaurant. Disturbing.......,.

Painfully, it's the risk of either talking to the media or leaving a "quote" trail such as on the forum. I honestly can't think of a single time I've talked to a writer that I've been quoted completely and accurately. I certainly understand what happens with editors and the need to reduce copy, but it's just always a risk to the person being interviewed or quoted.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Jeff Ruby.

by Doogy R » Sat May 12, 2007 12:35 am

I can say I've personally met the man. I have even had the honor to share the experience of a handshake and a small chat with him.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... /705110451

Enjoy. :D
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Sat May 12, 2007 10:45 am

David Clancy wrote:

I couldn't agree more with you.

The C-J wrote this about me:
Devoted contributors, including Louisville computer programmer Steve Magruder, who has written many entries about the city, said they feared Essjay's deceptions could damage the encyclopedia's credibility.

What I told the reporter is that some in the public could come to this conclusion if they didn't have much knowledge about what the Wikipedia was about. I didn't and don't "fear" anything like what was stated.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Fred Kunz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:36 pm

oj

by Fred Kunz » Sat May 12, 2007 10:52 am

i read this on my home page

Simpson Forced to Drop Kentucky Restaurant Action
Published: 5/12/07, 9:03 AM EDT
Author WENN
O.J. Simpson has been forced to drop a lawsuit against a restaurant owner who threw him out because he disapproved of his conduct following the 1994 murders

of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her companion Ron Goldman.

Restaurant boss Jeff Ruby asked the American football legend to leave Joe Ruby's Steakhouse in Louisville, Kentucky earlier this month (May07).

This week (begs07May07), Simpson's attorney Yale Galanter said he believed his client's eviction was racially motivated.

However, during an interview on The Big Show With Steve Mason + John Ireland on ESPN Radio on Thursday (10May07) night, Ruby said, "I got a phone call from the Goldman lawyers, and he's not going to be able to do this lawsuit anyway, because they've already taken preemptive action in case there is a claim."

In 1995, Simpson was acquitted of the murders of his former wife and Goldman. In 1997, he was found liable for their deaths in a civil court - he still owes the majority of the $33.5 million he was ordered to pay.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: oj

by Robin Garr » Sat May 12, 2007 11:16 am

Fred Kunz wrote:Simpson Forced to Drop Kentucky Restaurant Action

The CJ has a similar report today, although they don't describe it as "forced" to drop the suit.

It was such a ridiculous notion in the first place that it didn't really deserve the publicity that the paper gave it.
no avatar
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Sat May 12, 2007 12:02 pm

It amazes me so many people speaking "knowledgeably" about the incident keep getting details wrong, from the name of the restaurant, the name of the owner, the city the restaurant is in, etc... to the place where he dined after leaving. You'd think people would try to get their facts straight.
Last edited by Amy Hoover on Sat May 12, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Matt F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Louisville

by Matt F » Sat May 12, 2007 12:32 pm

gg OJ
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

~Tom Waits