Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Yup

by Robin Garr » Tue May 08, 2007 2:50 pm

TP Lowe wrote:The unemployment rate is the lowest it has been in years

My impression, though - although it may be liberal spin - is that the numbers are bogus because there's been such a shift from the industrial economy to the service economy. Lots of jobs, but for every lost union job on a GM assembly line, there's five flipping burgers at Mickey D's, and a hell of a lot of people are working two of those jobs at a time to make ends meet.

the media is constantly saying that this year's college grads have the best job market in years. I know the job growth for technology-related industries is hot, as is most of the finance world.

I'm sure there are a lot of excellent tech jobs around, but I expect they require high qualifications, and I'm pretty sure there are a lot of applicants for every job.

I do hope that Tanya finds something appropriate, and that the market is better than what she has experienced thus far.

Can't disagree with that!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue May 08, 2007 2:57 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:The unemployment rate is the lowest it has been in years

My impression, though - although it may be liberal spin - is that the numbers are bogus because there's been such a shift from the industrial economy to the service economy. Lots of jobs, but for every lost union job on a GM assembly line, there's five flipping burgers at Mickey D's, and a hell of a lot of people are working two of those jobs at a time to make ends meet.

the media is constantly saying that this year's college grads have the best job market in years. I know the job growth for technology-related industries is hot, as is most of the finance world.

I'm sure there are a lot of excellent tech jobs around, but I expect they require high qualifications, and I'm pretty sure there are a lot of applicants for every job.

I do hope that Tanya finds something appropriate, and that the market is better than what she has experienced thus far.

Can't disagree with that!

Since the point of the thread was not to begin a debate about service vs. manufacturing jobs or other economic issues, I'll just say "OK, Robin!"
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

by TanyaD » Tue May 08, 2007 2:57 pm

Thanks, guys--I hope so as well! :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 08, 2007 3:43 pm

TP Lowe wrote:Since the point of the thread was not to begin a debate about service vs. manufacturing jobs or other economic issues, I'll just say "OK, Robin!"

Aw! What fun is <i>that</i> ...
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue May 08, 2007 3:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Aw! What fun is <i>that</i> ...

I've just had a little too *much* fun in some recent discussions on this board talking about non-food issues. I'm trying to behave!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 08, 2007 4:09 pm

TP Lowe wrote:I'm trying to behave!

A worthy effort, but remember that behaving is sort of like drinking ... moderation is good, but teetotal is kind of silly ...
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue May 08, 2007 4:11 pm

Amen.
Previous