Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Shad Roe

User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Shad Roe

by Leah S » Mon May 07, 2007 5:43 pm

There was a question on a recipe service I subscribe to about cooking shad roe. Frankly I'd never heard of cooking roe, but have discovered via the internet that cooking shad roe is quite usual. Anybody here had the dish? I assumed that shad roe, would be served like caviar.
no avatar
User

Nancy Inman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:37 am

The Country

by Nancy Inman » Mon May 07, 2007 6:01 pm

The roe of a shad is encased in two delicate oval shaped membranes. These sacs can be sauteed, poached or broiled and cooked until slightly pink. The flavor is rich, slightly sweet and nutty. I can remember my mother talking about about it . It is a springtime treat.
Nancy Inman
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon May 07, 2007 6:08 pm

This is the recipe for the shad roe that my son cooked for our first course at Eastertime. I thought it was superb!
http://www.nyseafood.org/recipes/shad/s ... alsami.asp
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

shad roe

by Andrew Mellman » Mon May 07, 2007 6:29 pm

It's a standard breakfast dish in New England . . . brings back fond memories - shad roe, eggs, bkfst potatoes, et al!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon May 07, 2007 6:47 pm

For me shad roe always means that spring is here. I've had it many times, usually prepared with some pork product. The last time I had it it was cooked in a huge vat of slowly carmalized onions which was the best I've ever had. The milt is also delicious, though much harder to find.
Lots of cultures eat roe and milt- I had soy braised carp roe in China a few months ago, and lots of scallop roe in France.
If you have ever had Bottarga in an Italian restaurant it is cured pressed tuna roe, I believe.
It seems like I really like fish eggs.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Mon May 07, 2007 6:54 pm

GaryF wrote:It seems like I really like fish eggs.

touche.
...it very much appears so.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.