Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 17, 2007 9:43 am

Ron Johnson wrote:ok, I tried Papa Murphy's. Blech. This is a decent idea, and it could be good but the execution is awful. My pizza cost $13 and it took the kid about 30 seconds to slather on the sauce and drop on the bulk-grade toppings.

Interesting and fair report. It sounds like they've either slipped a lot, or else it depends on who's in charge. Bulk ingredients are bulk ingredients all right, but when I went in to check out the Woodlawn Park Papa Murphy's when it was new, the guy who put it together appeared to be the owner/franchise manager, and he did a good job of putting it together. I watched him do it, and wouldn't have complained if I got the same service at a standard pizzeria. No cooking issues, and to my mind, the quality was better than frozen pizza, and the hot-from-my-oven service pretty much made up for standard-issue (but fresh and decent) ingredients.

Bottom line, I'd rather go to my favorite pizzerias and eat in, but <i>in my experience</i> Murphy's was a decent option if I'm in a hurry and just want to grab a pie and finish it at home.

Slap it together in a gooey mess that sticks to the base, though, that's not Good Eats, and you did right to call 'em on it.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu May 17, 2007 9:50 am

No offense to the young man who made my pizza. He seemed like a nice kid, but he was maybe 16 and so was the girl working with him. They were the only ones there, and they seemed a little unsure of what they were doing.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 17, 2007 10:09 am

Ron Johnson wrote:No offense to the young man who made my pizza. He seemed like a nice kid, but he was maybe 16 and so was the girl working with him. They were the only ones there, and they seemed a little unsure of what they were doing.

I didn't think your review was in any way offensive. It told it like it was, and that's good. I'm just saying that this must be one of the most frustrating things about restaurant management, even for a local but doubly so in a corporate setting where the boss isn't on the premises: Careless, clueless employees can ruin a brand's image, and it only takes one bad meal to do it.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Thu May 17, 2007 10:52 am

That was the other point I meant to mention about papa Murphy's. It's way too expensive for uncooked food, and again why I'll just go next door and get a Red baron pizza from Kroger if I'm going to bake it myself.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 17, 2007 11:03 am

MikeG wrote:That was the other point I meant to mention about papa Murphy's. It's way too expensive for uncooked food, and again why I'll just go next door and get a Red baron pizza from Kroger if I'm going to bake it myself.

Mike, here's an interesting challenge, some time when you're really hungry: Bring home a Papa Murphy's AND a Red Baron and bake 'em both. Taste them side-by-side and see what differences you can discern.

My instinct is that the industrial processing of the frozen brand will show up in diminished quality, but there's nothing like a real world test to overturn instinctive snap judgments. ;)
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Thu May 17, 2007 12:04 pm

Robin the only time I'm going to be buying a pizza to bake myself and not actually make it myself is when I'm in a severe hurry. And again the price of Papa Murphy's is going to keep me from trying their product. (on top of the other numerous reasons I've outlined). If I'm going to pay that much and bake it myself, I'm going to make the entire pie myself.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu May 17, 2007 12:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
MikeG wrote:That was the other point I meant to mention about papa Murphy's. It's way too expensive for uncooked food, and again why I'll just go next door and get a Red baron pizza from Kroger if I'm going to bake it myself.

Mike, here's an interesting challenge, some time when you're really hungry: Bring home a Papa Murphy's AND a Red Baron and bake 'em both. Taste them side-by-side and see what differences you can discern.

My instinct is that the industrial processing of the frozen brand will show up in diminished quality, but there's nothing like a real world test to overturn instinctive snap judgments. ;)

Honestly, I don't think I would have been able to discern a difference between Papa Murphys and a high-end frozen pizza.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Thu May 17, 2007 1:44 pm

Back to the real subject at hand. My girlfriend and I attempted to try Luigi's yesterday but it was 20 minutes until closing and they had no cheese pizza for here. I guess we'll make another attempt on Saturday.

I'll be glad when it's worth his while to stay open later than 5 pm.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Thu May 17, 2007 2:20 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:
Honestly, I don't think I would have been able to discern a difference between Papa Murphys and a high-end frozen pizza.

Ironically, I tend to agree. I was a big supporter of Papa Murphy's when they first opened in town, but since then I've had a few higher end frozen pizzas and was actually pretty impressed. I could tell the difference, but not enough to justify twice the price. My wife and I haven't bought a Papa Murphy's in a long time. Eventually we might if either of us gets a craving for the Vegetarian pizza... that's one we haven't quite found a frozen replacement for.

So for now, yeah, if I'm grabbing something to bake at home, I'm probably just going to get a frozen one. If I'm ordering delivery, I'll stick to Papa John's, and if I'm dining out, it'll be Clifton's or Boombozz. If only I could get Clifton's or Boombozz delivered it would never be an issue! :twisted:
no avatar
User

Wes P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Impellizzeri's Pizza

by Wes P » Sat May 19, 2007 1:05 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Wes P wrote:wait for the opening.

Hey, Wes, when <i>is</i> the opening? I'm getting lots of E-mail from folks who say they can't wait.

Robin, Opening is middle of June? They keep moving the finish line! AGGGGH!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 19, 2007 6:47 am

Wes P wrote:Robin, Opening is middle of June? They keep moving the finish line! AGGGGH!

Hang in there, guys! I just drove by yesterday and was looking at the signs and getting hungry for Benny's pizza!

Has any restaurant in Louisville ever opened on the original schedule? The only one I can think of in recent years that even came close was Proof on Main, and there you're talking about serious money and serious influence ...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 19, 2007 6:47 am

Wes P wrote:Robin, Opening is middle of June? They keep moving the finish line! AGGGGH!

Hang in there, guys! I just drove by yesterday and was looking at the signs and getting hungry for Benny's pizza!

Has any restaurant in Louisville ever opened on the original schedule? The only one I can think of in recent years that even came close was Proof on Main, and there you're talking about serious money and serious influence ...
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon May 21, 2007 12:20 pm

I finally had Luigi's on Saturday. I was very pleased with what I ate. Again my only complaint at all are the business hours but due to the location I understand.

I didnt inquire if I could get the gnocchi without meat sauce. I dont imagine it would be a problem.
Previous