Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Flying Pizzas

by Robin Garr » Mon May 07, 2007 12:13 pm

TanyaD wrote:Holly,

I have not yet tried this, but it's probably the best way you'll get an authentic NYC/NJ pizza around here:

https://www.flyingpizzas.com/pizzamenu. ... a97d0ad8e0

In addition to Ron's concern, even if you start with excellent product, reheating frozen pizza in your home oven is iffy, because it doesn't really replicate either the standard or the wood-burning pizza oven that gives the best pizza crusts that crunchy, chewy texture.

But I'd give it a try! :)

(Actually, has anybody tried Papa Murphy's pizzas? They build the pie, you take it home uncooked and pop it in your oven, taking care to remove the plastic wrapper first? It's not NYC style, but I rank the result well up among the rank-and-file of Louisville pizzerias.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Mon May 07, 2007 1:01 pm

I was in NYC a week ago and had pizza for lunch both days. What I don't understand is that NY pizza appears so simple--why is it so hard to do other places?

The thin crust at Danny Mac's is very good, but it's not NYC.

In fact, I don't think of NYC as thin crust, per se. When I think think of thin crust I think of cracker-like feel to it. I think of NYC in the "hand-tossed" category.
Last edited by Charles W. on Mon May 07, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon May 07, 2007 1:06 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

I have not yet tried this, but it's probably the best way you'll get an authentic NYC/NJ pizza around here:

In addition to Ron's concern, even if you start with excellent product, reheating frozen pizza in your home oven is iffy, because it doesn't really replicate either the standard or the wood-burning pizza oven that gives the best pizza crusts that crunchy, chewy texture.

But I'd give it a try! :)

(Actually, has anybody tried Papa Murphy's pizzas? They build the pie, you take it home uncooked and pop it in your oven, taking care to remove the plastic wrapper first? It's not NYC style, but I rank the result well up among the rank-and-file of Louisville pizzerias.

I refuse to eat Papa Murphy's becasue they dont actually cook pizzas in their store. If I want a pizza to take home and cook I'll go to Kroger and buy red baron.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 07, 2007 1:46 pm

Charles W. wrote:I was in NYC a week ago and had pizza for lunch both days. What I don't understand is that NY pizza appears so simple--why is it so hard to do other places?

It's not that hard, although it takes some skill (and good equipment) to do it just right. It's not just the hand-tossed crust but the slightly spicy tomato sauce (and don't slather it on) and a light hand with toppings. Frankly, I think it's mostly a matter of the marketplace. Most people in Louisville grew up with the Impellizzeri/Wick's/Clifton style of piled-high pie, and that's what they want.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 07, 2007 1:48 pm

MikeG wrote:I refuse to eat Papa Murphy's becasue they dont actually cook pizzas in their store. If I want a pizza to take home and cook I'll go to Kroger and buy red baron.

Whatever floats your boat, Mike. I'm not sure that's an entirely fair comparison, though. Papa Murphy makes your pie while you watch and sends you home with fresh, quality ingredients to back in your own oven and eat while it's sizzling. The Kroger frozen pizza brands - Red Baron, Tombstone, whatever - come from a factory and have been frozen for weeks. There really is a quality difference.

But that being said, I agree: I'd rather eat quality pizzeria pies on the premises, hot from the pizza oven.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Mon May 07, 2007 2:10 pm

Luigi's isn't too far off. Spinelli's has likeness....sometimes.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

Paul W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:23 pm

highlands

by Paul W » Mon May 07, 2007 3:51 pm

MikeG wrote:I refuse to eat Papa Murphy's becasue they dont actually cook pizzas in their store. If I want a pizza to take home and cook I'll go to Kroger and buy red baron.

are you kidding me? it sounds like you need to actually TRY a quality take and bake pizza. comparing papa murphy's to red baron is down right insulting. you can get really good results with the take and bakes. im not saying it's the way i want to have my pizza all the time...but i'll often grab one of ours (whole foods market) on my way out of work. this is just my personal opinion...but i rank our crust as one of the best in town...take and bake or not. i dont mean to be overly harsh but writing something off with out trying it first is a big pet peeve of mine.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon May 07, 2007 4:12 pm

I should add Papa Murphy's lost points with me back when my band was on tour back in 2003. We were somewhere in MN and we spotted a pizza joint in this lone strip mall in the town. We walk in to find there are no ovens, it's this take and bake place called Papa Murphy's.

I could understand a place that already serves baked pizzas doing this, but it annoys me to no end that some place only makes unbaked pizzas.
no avatar
User

Paul W

{ RANK }

Foodie

highlands

by Paul W » Mon May 07, 2007 4:34 pm

well i can understand being disappointed, especially if you were on the road, hungry, and thinking you were about to sit down to a pizza. but...there really is a niche for this...and the product (i think) is good. you should give it a shot sometime. hell, if you want to try the whole foods version come into the wine shop sometime and i'll write one off for you to try.
no avatar
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Mon May 07, 2007 5:02 pm

During my only (so far) trip to NYC several years ago, I deeply regret just eating the first slice of pizza I found rather than doing a little research and finding a highly regarded pie. The pizza I had was very uninspiring.

When I lived in Las Vegas there was a "NY-style" pizzeria on every corner (due to the number of ex-east coasters in the town, I suppose) and I never had a decent slice from any of them.

So I'm still wondering if I'm strictly one of those "casserole pizza" lovers or if I've just had bad luck with New York style pizza. I'll have to go back to New York City someday; and this time I'll do my homework!
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Mon May 07, 2007 6:19 pm

MikeG wrote:I could understand a place that already serves baked pizzas doing this, but it annoys me to no end that some place only makes unbaked pizzas.

You lost me here. It "annoys" you that they are working a new product niche? Are you annoyed that whole foods doesn't sell Diet Rite Soda and frozen chicken nuggets or that Mai's Thai doesn't serve Easter Hams?
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Mon May 07, 2007 6:21 pm

Todd Pharris wrote:So I'm still wondering if I'm strictly one of those "casserole pizza" lovers or if I've just had bad luck with New York style pizza. I'll have to go back to New York City someday; and this time I'll do my homework!

Part of what makes NYC pizza is that you can find it on every block. It is always possible you got some bad pizza, but just as likely that you are a casserole lover :shock:
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

NY Pizza

by Andrew Mellman » Mon May 07, 2007 6:28 pm

Really have not found the "true" cracker-crust, so-thin-you-can-read-a-newspaper-through-it pizza here . . . try Stevie-O (out in Buckner/Lyndon) for a good one that's getting somewhat close, tho
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon May 07, 2007 7:44 pm

paul w wrote:well i can understand being disappointed, especially if you were on the road, hungry, and thinking you were about to sit down to a pizza. but...there really is a niche for this...and the product (i think) is good. you should give it a shot sometime. hell, if you want to try the whole foods version come into the wine shop sometime and i'll write one off for you to try.

Paul-

I've wanted to try those but they are too big for my convection oven. haha. I've always found it odd that the Whole Foods here doesnt sell those baked on site when ones I've visited out of town have. I'm sure that's a decision made way above your head though. No big deal, I still get plenty of other good food there.

Also I hope I didnt come off as "no one should go to papa murphy's". I'm just not going to.
no avatar
User

Paul W

{ RANK }

Foodie

highlands

by Paul W » Mon May 07, 2007 7:55 pm

MikeG wrote:I've always found it odd that the Whole Foods here doesnt sell those baked on site when ones I've visited out of town have.

pizza by the slice is something that's been in the works here for awhile. it's something we want to do...but the wheels are moving slowly. hopefully soon though...
PreviousNext