Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Derby dining experiences

no avatar
User

Matt F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Louisville

Derby dining experiences

by Matt F » Sun May 06, 2007 12:07 pm

I, like a lot of people here, helped to put on the show for the post-race revelers in town this weekend, but am curious to hear about how things went off elsewhere from the perspective of the guest's seat.
Anyone have any stellar experiences or horror srories....or anything in between?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

~Tom Waits
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Derby dining experiences

by Robin Garr » Sun May 06, 2007 12:11 pm

Matt F wrote:Anyone have any stellar experiences or horror srories....or anything in between?

We had an outstanding steak dinner last night, butter-tender rare tenderloins pan-seared in red wine, baked potatoes and a fine fresh Bibb lettuce salad with an exceptional Tuscan red from Montefalco. All the goods came from the Bardstown Road produce market, and I cooked it myself at home.

That's the way to do Derby Oaks Day in this town ...
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Derby dining experiences

by Doogy R » Sun May 06, 2007 5:55 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Matt F wrote:Anyone have any stellar experiences or horror srories....or anything in between?

We had an outstanding steak dinner last night, butter-tender rare tenderloins pan-seared in red wine, baked potatoes and a fine fresh Bibb lettuce salad with an exceptional Tuscan red from Montefalco. All the goods came from the Bardstown Road produce market, and I cooked it myself at home.

That's the way to do Derby Oaks Day in this town ...

I totally concur. I've dined at places during the Derby rush and it sure isn't the experience one would normally have. It's much better to buy nice product to prepare at home. The food is better, the price is right and you can do it on your own timetable.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon May 07, 2007 8:07 am

My parents reported having an excellent dinner at the Coachlamp on Saturday night.
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Mon May 07, 2007 10:36 am

Welcome back Ron!

We had an interesting Oaks at Primo when the power went out for two hours, but all told, I think we did alright and the customers were great sports about a situation that no one could have helped or predicted. Thanks Louisville!
no avatar
User

Scott Schamel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am

Louisville, KY

by Scott Schamel » Mon May 07, 2007 10:14 pm

I agree Robin, however, my Derby dinner was a little more "al Fresco". After the end of lunch at the Bistro on Friday, My family and I met my wife's family at Otter Creek Park for a muddy, yet very enjoyable weekend campout. Hot chili in a cast dutch oven over an open fire, fire roasted hot dogs for the little tykes and late night smores. YUM!!

The folks at Otter Creek did a spectacular job with this year's Derby Camp Out. My hat's off to them for a fun fill weekend with lots of activities for the whole family even though it was a little rainy....
no avatar
User

Clay_C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 09, 2007 8:36 am

by Clay_C » Wed May 09, 2007 4:15 pm

I went to Carly Rae's for Derby Day bruch with a group of ten, and had a very pleasant experience. Good food, great service, and easily my favorite al fresco dining spot in the city. Plus, a fairly kick-ass beer list!