Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Captains Quarters

User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Captains Quarters

by carla griffin » Sun May 06, 2007 9:22 am

I was able to get all my work done I had scheduled for Derby Day so around 4:30 my daughter and I were wondering where we could go that had a full service bar, good food and a close proximity to Crestwood. We thought we'd give QC a shoot since the weather was so pretty. I'm so glad we did!
We got seated just a few minutes before the Derby ran. We had a great table on the deck. (I wasn't even sure we could get in much less have such a beautiful seat! The crowds hadn't started to come in yet.)
Cocktails were OK. My gin/tonic was fine but daughter's sour was very weak. We had the crawfish cakes for an appetizer - 2, silver dollar sized, perfectly fried cakes chocked full of meat. They were awesome! I was concerned that using crawfish might make them a bit strong but no! They were delicate, light not greasy and flavorful.
Salads were pretty standard but I had a balsamic cream dressing that was yummy. (Typo on the menu said 'balsamic ceram' instead of cream.)
I had the bison ribeye cooked very rare. Haven't had bison in over 15 years and then it was just a burger. This was a beautiful steak cooked perfectly. The meat was flavorful without being strong or gamey. You could tell it wasn't beef; it had an extra dimension about it that was notable but not pushy (Know what I mean?...)
Daughter's entree was the real winner of the evening however. A 'fruit de mer' (sp) alfredo with all kinds of seafood - shrimp, crawfish, scallops. The seafood was plentiful but the star of the dish was the cream sauce. It wasn't gloopy or a pasty mess; it was a velvety , rich sauce that was more than just a cheese sauce. I sampled it so many time my daughter finally just pushed her plate to me and said "Here Mom, knock yourself out!"
Desserts were equally fine. Daughter had a chocolate tort that was dense and rich . I had a pina colada tort with white chocolate and coconut. The bottom of the tort was a lovely, light coconut biscuit covered with a coconut custard then whip cream on top with toasted coconut. This was a beautiful little tort. If I could make one weency little change it would be to add some dark or amber rum to the custard. It's called pina colada after all but there's no hint of rum. Other than that it was so very fine!
Service was friendly but what you might expect for Derby Day. We would have been perfectly happy to just sit with drinks and appetizer while the race ran. Instead, they rushed out appetizer, salads and entrees out only minutes apart. But hey, it was derby day at race time and this was excusable for us. Any other day I would have asked them to slow down the pace a bit.
All in all it was the best meal I've EVER had at CQ and I didn't even have any fried banana peppers! I'm so very happy to see the restaurant step up the offering from more than just sandwiches and fried fish. Great job CQ!
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost