Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

New Pakistani restaurant

no avatar
User

Laura T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: New Pakistani restaurant

by Laura T » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:32 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Charles W. wrote:I just read a helpful explanation that Halal meat only is concerned with source of meat (cow, not pig, for instance) and how it was slaughtered. It does not apply to how it is consumed. Kosher is a stricter category. I don't know if this is always true, but I think so: all Kosher meat is Halal, but not all Halal meat is Kosher.

Thanks, Charles, interesting stuff.

Yeah, I agree. Thanks, Charles.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:44 pm

The owner of Pita Delights told me that part of being halal was the method of killing. He bought a knife from me (scimitar) so that he could kill his goats etc himself. One of the main things was to pray over the animal before killing it. Also had to drain as much blood as possible which included death by slitting throat.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

M Shafi

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:09 pm

by M Shafi » Fri May 08, 2009 4:00 pm

Wow, I am so glad so many people like my friend's place! This forum is great. For all the organic food afficiandos in Louisville, the main Halal meat supplier in town gets his meat from a farm in Indiana where the a lot of the meat is free range, organic. Not sure about the beef and lamb but the chicken is usually. their place is called Al-Waha near Hikes lane and you can ask them about this directly if it matters.
Halal meat is similar in many ways to kosher and older Christian traditions, as Robin Garr said. Some people claim that halal meat tastes better. I personally don't see a difference but it has been a while since I have eaten non-halal meat!
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri May 08, 2009 4:13 pm

Laura T wrote:
annemarie m wrote:i'm curious, what is a samosa. i see it's triangle, is it stuffed with something. thanks. annemarie

Like Leah said, it's stuffed with veggies, usually potatoes and peas spiced to be super yummy.

Well, just to be clear for any non-vegetarians out there, samosas are often stuffed with meat as well. Kashmir has great meat samosas, for example, (ground lamb maybe) with peas and potatoes.

Just don't want any unknowing vegetarians to rip into a samosa assuming they're always meat-free.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
Previous