Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Jeff Ruby's - An Electric Kool Aid Acid Test

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:03 am

Marsha L. wrote:Hey, if enjoying duck confit makes you "high-falutin'" - well, where do I sign?

I'm in! :D
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:05 am

Sign me up on that list too....
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:07 am

Since I've ever been to Jeff Ruby's I haven't posted in this thread yet but will now since I've had the opportunity to eat steaks in Milwaukee several times while there on business.

As mentioned by several others I believe that the type of steak someone likes depends partly on what they're used to. I personally didn't like the steaks I had in Milwaukee, while they were quite tender I really didn't like how they tasted (may be due to being marinated?). Of the local steak houses, the best steak I have had was at Z's. The best steak I've never had was in Tulsa at a small local restaurant named Mahogany. It was a bone in Filet that you could almost cut with your fork and the flavor was marvelous (it was 6 week dry aged). I've also had some excellent steaks in Texas and Colorado mostly in independent steak houses.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Phil Gissen

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:54 am

by Phil Gissen » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:36 am

I guess I don't get it. I have worked as a middle school teacher in small towns in Wisconsin for 38 years and although I was recognized as someone who grew up in New York City, I was never considered "high falutin," and I do not recognize how my quote could be taken that way.

Usually, my friends and colleagues in Wisconsin were intrigued by my experiences and loved either coming over or going out with Donna and myself to try something different. These small town folks would use me as a resource, and I helped planned trips they may take to New York, Mexico etc. They were appreciative of what I knew and what I will dare refer to as my worldliness. On the other hand, they also knew I couldn't fix a car if I wanted to, and my friends loved to invite me over to their farm if they were delivering a calf or rounding up some pigs or doing anything that they knew I had absolutely no knowledge of. We would sit around drinking and laughing at my "big city" inept ways. These people loved the fact that in my social studies classes I could share my experiences around the world, opening up the eyes of their kids to the big, wide world out there. When I sat down to play bar dice with my buddies, they didn't care that I might be wearing an Armani jacket or drove a fancy German car. They accepted me for who I am, and I accept them for who they are and we just care about what is in each other's hearts. When they begged me to go hunting (hunten in Wisconsin) with them during the state wide holiday in Wisconsin known as deer hunting season, I acquiesed with the rule that I would not hold a gun or see a deer shot up close. I would drink beer and crack stupid jokes making fun of all of them in their bright orange, prison get up. They loved it!

Why enjoying duck confit makes me "high falutin" I just don't get, and this is why I know that Louisville cannot be a permanent place for me. It seems I will have a difficult time being accepted for who I am.
"The Sea Was Angry That Day, My Friends, like an Old Man Trying to send Back Soup in a Deli."
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:43 am

I just love the word "falutin'" Can one be "low falutin' " ? Doesn't it sound like some sort of bio term? "Take care to cool at the proper temperature or the falutin won't congeal properly."
Falutin falutin falutin falutin!
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Matt F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Louisville

by Matt F » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:56 am

Phil Gissen wrote:I guess I don't get it. I have worked as a middle school teacher in small towns in Wisconsin for 38 years and although I was recognized as someone who grew up in New York City, I was never considered "high falutin," and I do not recognize how my quote could be taken that way.

Usually, my friends and colleagues in Wisconsin were intrigued by my experiences and loved either coming over or going out with Donna and myself to try something different. These small town folks would use me as a resource, and I helped planned trips they may take to New York, Mexico etc. They were appreciative of what I knew and what I will dare refer to as my worldliness. On the other hand, they also knew I couldn't fix a car if I wanted to, and my friends loved to invite me over to their farm if they were delivering a calf or rounding up some pigs or doing anything that they knew I had absolutely no knowledge of. We would sit around drinking and laughing at my "big city" inept ways. These people loved the fact that in my social studies classes I could share my experiences around the world, opening up the eyes of their kids to the big, wide world out there. When I sat down to play bar dice with my buddies, they didn't care that I might be wearing an Armani jacket or drove a fancy German car. They accepted me for who I am, and I accept them for who they are and we just care about what is in each other's hearts. When they begged me to go hunting (hunten in Wisconsin) with them during the state wide holiday in Wisconsin known as deer hunting season, I acquiesed with the rule that I would not hold a gun or see a deer shot up close. I would drink beer and crack stupid jokes making fun of all of them in their bright orange, prison get up. They loved it!

Why enjoying duck confit makes me "high falutin" I just don't get, and this is why I know that Louisville cannot be a permanent place for me. It seems I will have a difficult time being accepted for who I am.

a) I dont really think its cool to throw a blanket over a whole city just because youve had to endure such horrible, tragic traumas as, say, a few disagreements over food and beverage on a public, internet message board.

b) At your age (or anyone else's for that matter), if youre ok with yourself... who cares what anyone else thinks?

c) This IS America. We should all feel free to 'falut' as we choose, as well as to have our own opinions of those who 'falut' around us.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

~Tom Waits
no avatar
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:59 am

I like symphonic arrangements with falutin' them.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:03 am

LMAO!
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:45 am

Phil,
I guess I don't get it. How can you say no one accepts you for who you are? We all have opinions and apparently if we disagree with your "worldly" opinion we are wrong? Just because you don't like something doesn't make it right and visa versa. You might want to accept Louisville for who we are. Don't expect us to agree with you because you are worldly. We may have a difference of opinion, but that doesn't mean that you are not accepted.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:49 am

Phil..I still contend I want you and Donna to adopt me so I can eat at these wonderful restaurants which my budget wont allow me to. (Mostly because I have a very sweet baby that eats cash faster than i can make it.).
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:23 am

Why does anybody care how anybody else falutes? Let's get a grip, gang! Phil is new to our town. He's added a lot to our forum, and he's been up front about trying to get a handle on what things are like here.

Phil: I think you're being a little overly sensitive sometimes. Mostly we're just having fun. But don't worry, buddy, this isn't Deliverance you're in.

Can't we all just get along?
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:59 am

Phil Gissen wrote:Perhaps my taste isn't "high falutin" but different. If one differs with a Louisville perception, that doesn't automatically make someone a snob. A decent psychiatrist would say that reaction is somewhat defensive. If someone says I hate Wisconsin cheese, I hardly would call them "high falutin." I would probably ask what kind of cheese has he/she tried and chalked it up to a different opinion.

HEY !!!...Let's leave Wisconsin Cheese outta this !!!...I happen to be in treatment for addiction to Wisconsin cheese and am very-very sensitive about the issue (I was up to 4 ounces of 8 year old cheddar a day before I realized I needed help...used to have it shipped to the Ville inside a refrigerated spare tire).
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:13 pm

Phil Gissen wrote:I guess I don't get it...When I sat down to play bar dice with my buddies, they didn't care that I might be wearing an Armani jacket or drove a fancy German car...When they begged me to go hunting (hunten in Wisconsin) with them during the state wide holiday in Wisconsin known as deer hunting season, I acquiesed with the rule that I would not hold a gun or see a deer shot up close. I would drink beer and crack stupid jokes making fun of all of them in their bright orange, prison get up. They loved it!

Well Phil...Just the fact that you've played bar dice (a MN/WI thing) and at least -visited- a deer camp makes you alllllllright in my book. Hint for the future: Never-ever make fun of a man dressed in blaze orange who happens to be carrying a gun...(Note: The only possible exception would be if it was a blaze orange Armani jacket and the guy was carrying a Belgian Browning (no not Belgian Brownie)...you might be OK then.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:17 pm

carla griffin wrote:I just love the word "falutin'" Can one be "low falutin' " ? Doesn't it sound like some sort of bio term? "Take care to cool at the proper temperature or the falutin won't congeal properly."
Falutin falutin falutin falutin!

Ahhhhhh hell Carla...Now you've got me doing it. I've been walking around the house for 10 minutes thinking "Falutin".....Faaaaaaalutin....FaLuuuuuutin.....Falutinnnnnnn"....Wonder if it's my OCD back again.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:23 pm

Hey Phil just don't assume you are so much more traveled or well versed than everyone here. You might learn a thing or two yourself. I know that there is vast experience on this forum from a number folks. On that note I'm going to get back to my banjo picking.
PreviousNext