Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Mother's Day Brunch

Should you go out for brunch on Mother's Day?

Poll ended at Mon May 14, 2007 9:29 am

Yes!
29%
No Way!
71%

Total votes : 21
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

Mother's Day Brunch

by Gretchen D. » Fri May 04, 2007 9:29 am

I am curious about your opinion on whether or not one should go out for brunch on Mother's Day or stay home and save the celebration for another week.

Should you go ahead and eat out because there will be high volumes resulting in a constant supply of fresh food along with most places having extra offerings?

OR

Should you avoid it because the high volumes of people and food mean that there just isn't enough time to focus on quality?

Thanks for your opinion!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Mother's Day Brunch

by Robin Garr » Fri May 04, 2007 9:41 am

Gretchen D. wrote:I am curious about your opinion on whether or not one should go out for brunch on Mother's Day or stay home and save the celebration for another week.

It's my considered opinion that both Mother's Day and Valentine's Day are very good times to stay home and enjoy a family celebration. This is doubly true for those of us who eat out enough that going to a restaurant is not in and of itself an unusual and exciting experience. I think the jostling crowds and the 'in the weeds" factor make these days iffy.

Oaks and Derby are a little different, it seems to me, even though they're also crowded and slammed, because of the community party element. It's a time to be out with friends and having a blast ... but I would never review a restaurant on the basis of a visit on one of these days, which underscores the opinion that most eateries simply aren't going to show their best under that kind of pressure.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Fri May 04, 2007 9:45 am

Robin Garr wrote:Oaks and Derby are a little different, it seems to me, even though they're also crowded and slammed, because of the community party element. It's a time to be out with friends and having a blast ... but I would never review a restaurant on the basis of a visit on one of these days, which underscores the opinion that most eateries simply aren't going to show their best under that kind of pressure.

But many of them charge "their best."
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 04, 2007 9:47 am

Charles W. wrote:But many of them charge "their best."

Correct me if I'm wrong here: I know hotel rates go up rapaciously and cab fare increase during Derby week. But most local restaurants don't indulge in similar profit-taking ... do they?
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Fri May 04, 2007 9:55 am

You may be right. I had seen what the Oak Room was charging and a couple of other special things and had, perhaps incorrectly, that most did this. I could be completely out to lunch on this (so to speak). We don't do much of the Derby partying scene.

P.S. If I were a high-roller coming in to drop some serious cash, I would be all over the Oak Room deal.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 04, 2007 10:46 am

Charles W. wrote:You may be right. I had seen what the Oak Room was charging and a couple of other special things and had, perhaps incorrectly, that most did this. I could be completely out to lunch on this (so to speak). We don't do much of the Derby partying scene.

P.S. If I were a high-roller coming in to drop some serious cash, I would be all over the Oak Room deal.

How much is the Oakroom's <i>prix fixe</i>? Bear in mind that their regular <i>prix fixe</i> isn't cheap, but - as reported in my recent review - it is awesome.
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Fri May 04, 2007 10:48 am

Robin Garr wrote:
It's my considered opinion that both Mother's Day and Valentine's Day are very good times to stay home and enjoy a family celebration.

I agree! Last year my boyfriend and I cooked brunch for both of our moms, and we had a much better (and more meaningful) time than we would have fighting the crowds somewhere.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Fri May 04, 2007 11:25 am

I went out to eat on Valentine's Day evening this year, and I think it's the last time I will.

I won't mention the restaurant, but it was one on Hurstborne Parkway that I respected.

They ran out of salad lettuce (!!!!) and visibly sent somebody out to a grocery to bring back big bags of iceberg. But what got me is that they tried to foist iceberg on my dining partner, who had ordered a Caesar Salad (!!!!), as if we wouldn't send that back. It felt like our intelligence was being insulted -- the server should have told us in advance they couldn't make a proper Caesar.

Also, the food in general tasted like it was rushed.

The experience didn't exactly add to a romantic evening.
Last edited by Steve Magruder on Fri May 04, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri May 04, 2007 11:27 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Charles W. wrote:You may be right. I had seen what the Oak Room was charging and a couple of other special things and had, perhaps incorrectly, that most did this. I could be completely out to lunch on this (so to speak). We don't do much of the Derby partying scene.

How much is the Oakroom's <i>prix fixe</i>? Bear in mind that their regular <i>prix fixe</i> isn't cheap, but - as reported in my recent review - it is awesome.

I can't answer your question directly, but a few of years ago I had dinner in the Oak Room on Oaks night (i.e., Friday), and I'd say the tab was nearly double what it would have been otherwise. I do assume those sorts of pricing increases are limited to the higher end hotel restaurants in town, but don't know for certain.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 04, 2007 11:36 am

TP Lowe wrote:I do assume those sorts of pricing increases are limited to the higher end hotel restaurants in town, but don't know for certain.

I'm pretty sure it's not usual among the Louisville Originals (for example), TP. Some places put on special menus or prix fixe, but my impression is that this is for the sake of efficiency and handling the crowds rather than profit-taking.

Can anyone (including restaurateur/chefs) enlighten us?
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Mother's Day and Special Occasions

by Deb Hall » Fri May 04, 2007 12:31 pm

Obviously I'm biased since we sell Gourmet- to- Go foods. But with that said, for many years I have avoided going to restaurants on those special holidays. My experience both here and on the East Coast is that, regardless of price, restaurants are slammed on those days and the experience suffers. Typically long waits, even w/reservations, service suffers, rushed at tables and generally it's just not an exemplary experience at even the best places.

We regularly go out for Valentine's day several days before or after the date, and Mother's Day is dad's turn to cook and eat in (but of course, Brian is an excellent cook that may be easier for us). Particularly with kids in tow, I'd much rather eat a dinner/brinch someone prepared for me on Mother's Day than deal with the crowds, delays and antzy kids. MUCH more relaxing....
Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Pricing

by Deb Hall » Fri May 04, 2007 12:47 pm

Robin,

We have special menus & prix fixe for the holidays/Derby and those menus tend to be more expensive than our regular foods. This is really because of the extra cost of ingredients (like our Derby boxed lunches having a Beef Tenderloin w/Brie Sandwich), and some for the service and for the additional cost of labor (overtime). But we don't jack up the price of our regular foods, say, for Derby & Oaks to charge all the folks from Horse Country (Shelbyville, Simpsonville) and their guests extra while they are here. And my experience is that's pretty standard in Louisville.

Deb
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Fri May 04, 2007 1:34 pm

That's my impression. Not that restaurants raise prices on normal fare, but that many of them do special things for Oaks/Derby.

I thought I saw that the Oakroom was doing this spectacular Prix Fix for around $200/person, but I can't find it anywhere now. :?
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Oakroom

by Deb Hall » Fri May 04, 2007 2:26 pm

I know they did something special for Thunder (it was on the same page in the CJ as the write-up on our boxed lunches.); maybe that was it.... That would explain why you can't find it now.

Deb