Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

City Cafe's Big Salad

no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

City Cafe's Big Salad

by Amy A » Wed May 02, 2007 7:58 pm

Man that thing is good. I mean, REALLY good. Spinach and romaine with edamame, sliced red onion, almonds, toasted pumpkin seeds, shredded carrots, bean sprouts, and that fantastic ginger miso dressing. All served in the biggest (hence BIG salad) bowl you could imagine.

I am a happy camper. :D
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

by Tina M » Wed May 02, 2007 9:03 pm

Yep. That's my favorite thing there.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: City Cafe's Big Salad

by Robin Garr » Wed May 02, 2007 9:08 pm

Amy A wrote:Man that thing is good. I mean, REALLY good. Spinach and romaine with edamame, sliced red onion, almonds, toasted pumpkin seeds, shredded carrots, bean sprouts, and that fantastic ginger miso dressing. All served in the biggest (hence BIG salad) bowl you could imagine.

I am a happy camper. :D

That sounds great! Next time I'm in the mood to make a salad a meal, I'll check it out. About what's the cost on the menu, Amy?
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Wed May 02, 2007 10:04 pm

I think it was around seven dollars. Make sure you ask for extra miso dressing. The bean sprouts suck it all up.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 02, 2007 10:38 pm

Amy A wrote:I think it was around seven dollars. Make sure you ask for extra miso dressing. The bean sprouts suck it all up.

Thanks, Amy. That sounds so good! I grabbed a quick late dinner at Nopalito tonight, and I'm feeling veggie-deprived.
no avatar
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Wed May 02, 2007 10:38 pm

Oooh, I agree! That salad is fantastic!
no avatar
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

Baxter

by TanyaD » Thu May 03, 2007 8:51 am

BTW, I looked it up on their website's menu, and according to it, this salad is only available at the Baxter Ave. location, which sucks because I'm a short walk from the one on Broadway and this would have made a nice lunch today!
no avatar
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Thu May 03, 2007 9:03 am

They have the Big Salad on the menu at the Medical School location.
no avatar
User

Madi D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Highlands

by Madi D » Thu May 03, 2007 9:52 am

mmm... i love city cafe's ginger miso dressing. ive been looking for something similar but havent been able to find a good miso dressing at the supermarket.. anybody know where i could get some? or better yet, anyone have a good recipe for one?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 03, 2007 10:19 am

Madi D wrote:mmm... i love city cafe's ginger miso dressing. ive been looking for something similar but havent been able to find a good miso dressing at the supermarket.. anybody know where i could get some? or better yet, anyone have a good recipe for one?

Madi, I don't have a recipe, but I've fooled around with this at home and had pretty good luck, if you're comfortable with sort of vague general instructions rather than a real recipe.

What I've done is basically just a vinaigrette-style emulsion with orange juice, a squirt of lime juice, and peanut oil (two parts oil to one of citrus), flavored with a good dose of fresh ginger (pressed through a garlic press to extract a lot of its juice, discarding the crunchy bits), a tiny drop of sesame oil, and salt and pepper if needed.

If you'll play around with those ingredients, I think you'll be happy with the results.
no avatar
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

Re: Baxter

by Erin Riedel » Thu May 03, 2007 11:35 am

TanyaD wrote:BTW, I looked it up on their website's menu, and according to it, this salad is only available at the Baxter Ave. location, which sucks because I'm a short walk from the one on Broadway and this would have made a nice lunch today!

They have it at the Broadway location. I don't know why it still says that on their Web site. I go to the Broadway location for lunch all the time. Chicken and black bean burrito day is a cause for huge excitement at my workplace. :)
no avatar
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

Cool!

by TanyaD » Thu May 03, 2007 12:20 pm

Awesome--thanks for the info! I just didn't want to schlep over there in the rain and not find it.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Thu May 03, 2007 12:32 pm

What I've done is basically just a vinaigrette-style emulsion with orange juice, a squirt of lime juice, and peanut oil (two parts oil to one of citrus), flavored with a good dose of fresh ginger (pressed through a garlic press to extract a lot of its juice, discarding the crunchy bits), a tiny drop of sesame oil, and salt and pepper if needed.

You know how to cook Robin? I thought you only knew how to eat :lol:
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Thu May 03, 2007 12:53 pm

Hmmm... this has been on my list of restaurants to try... now, it has moved up on the list.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 03, 2007 2:03 pm

Brian Curl wrote:You know how to cook Robin? I thought you only knew how to eat :lol:

Just in case you're not joking ... ;)

Yes, I can cook fairly well. I don't believe I ought to be publishing critiques of other people's cooking if I don't know how to do it.
Next