Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Let's talk about the Hot Brown

by Robin Garr » Wed May 02, 2007 3:51 pm

I've got to do an interview about the Hot Brown and its place in Louisville's dining hierarchy. I can't go evil on it ... talk about "pasty, gloppy sauce" and "bland turkey meat" and "bad white bread" and "greasy bacon loaded with nitrites" and "enough calories to choke a horse" will not be acceptable.

Anybody got <I>good</I> things to say and nostalgic tales to tell about this quintessentially Louisville confection?
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed May 02, 2007 4:30 pm

I love the things. Crunchy toasted bread topped with a couple juicy slabs of roasted turkey, draped in a luscious bechamel and crowned with some crispy bacon. Run under the broiler until it is hot bubbling golden brown goodness. What's not to like? A good homegrown tomato only adds to it.

It's the american version of a croque monsieur. I think that the knife and fork, open-faced sandwiches of yore need to make a comeback!
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

When a Hot Brown is done properly.......

by Bill Veneman » Wed May 02, 2007 4:30 pm

There is no better way on God's Green Earth to clog the arteries. I've always LOVED it with the Morney Sauce (damn the Kraft folks for Cheeze Whiz), and FRESH tomatoes.

Probably one of the best Hot Browns I ever had was when I was very much younger. There was a place on Hurstbourne Lane (the name escapes me) that would feature the Hot Brown from time to time on the sandwich special that was perfection........mounds of turkey piled on tosted homemade white bread, with the good vine ripened tomatoes, and a very light and creamy mornay.

It was served in a huge soup bowl, and I couldn't finish the thing.....but that was ok, because the leftovers were good later in the evening for a snack!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

by Laura SS » Wed May 02, 2007 4:36 pm

Well, I'd certainly never had one or even heard of it before I moved to Louisville, but I really enjoyed the one or two I've had since then. I believe my very first was at Lynn's Paradise Cafe, and I think I may have had one at Captain's Quarters a few years ago as well. I don't recall the CQ one being nearly as good or as memorable as Lynn's.

But that one at Lynn's was one of my earliest food experiences of this town -- that crazy environment, the decadent "sandwich," a growing love for my new hometown, and a big group of friends and family. That day may explain the warm fuzzies I associate with this dish, even though I usually avoid it for the reasons you named, Robin.

Now a few weeks ago I had a delicious twist on the concept: the Seafood Hot Brown at Third Avenue Cafe. It's "pan-seared grouper fillet, garlic Tiger shrimp, bacon and tomato slices on homemade foccacia and topped with Mornay sauce." I just got the Mornay on the side, which made it easier to control the mess and the quantity of cheese. Fantastic! I loved it, my husband loved it (and he dislikes Hot Browns), and our companions were so curious. I recommend it highly, even though it's not the traditional sandwich by any means.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Wed May 02, 2007 5:09 pm

Maybe the best thing about it is the spinoffs (like the previous poster mentioned.) I made Chef Castro's "Not Brown" with the fried green tomatoes and crab...boy, that was yummy.
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

Hot Brown

by Chris M » Wed May 02, 2007 5:14 pm

Oh come on Robin!

The traditional Hot Brown from J. Graham's is a work of art. None of the many variations and imitations available around town come anywhere close.

When made properly it is a rich, flavorful and yes, artery clogging (milk, whipped cream, eggs, cheese and bacon. Yum!) delight.

I fondly remember my first Hot Brown from that very place. I'd had many before it, but never truly appreciated all that a Hot Brown can be until I had the original.

It is the quintessential Louisville culinary experience.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: Hot Brown

by Jay M. » Wed May 02, 2007 5:23 pm

Chris M wrote:
...It is the quintessential Louisville culinary experience.

followed closely by Mazzoni's Rolled Oyster :wink:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 02, 2007 5:26 pm

Chris M wrote:Oh come on Robin!

I was just havin' a little fun! :) Thanks for all the good suggestions, gang. Keep 'em coming!
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed May 02, 2007 5:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Chris M wrote:Oh come on Robin!

I was just havin' a little fun! :) Thanks for all the good suggestions, gang. Keep 'em coming!

I had a great one at the Fountain Room at the Galt House, and Kayrouz Cafe makes a great one too. The Feed Bag makes a very good one as well! Goose Creek Diner has one too (I haven't tried their's yet).

As a side note, they served hot browns when I was in elementary/middle school at Walden. They were just packaged slices of white bread with cold cut turkey and nacho cheese sauce with some bacon and a cherry tomato, but hey, I didn't care.
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

Whistle stop

by Casey J. » Wed May 02, 2007 6:10 pm

I don't eat pork, but when I did, I remember one of the best HOT BROWNS was served at The Whstle Stop in Glendale, KY.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Wed May 02, 2007 6:18 pm

Hot Brown - Wikipedia :)

By the way, I recommend heartily The Whistle Stop in Glendale as well. A middle to upper-tier restaurant inside a train depot is quite the novel experience, and I found their food very delicious.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Wed May 02, 2007 8:38 pm

I'm still trying to perfect my vegetarian Hot Brown recipe.
User

Ned Weatherby

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:29 pm

LaGrange

good hot brown

by Ned Weatherby » Wed May 02, 2007 8:55 pm

I like Lynns as a once in a while decadence but Norma Jeans has a very good hot brown for the everyday artery clogging it has some swiss on it that varies it from the others
Good Eats
User

BDKollker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Outside the Box Nashvegas

I know something you don't know!

by BDKollker » Thu May 03, 2007 2:06 am

I have from reliable information (myself) that there might be a show on food network soon about this delicious creation. You will all know soon enough. I'm not going to let it all out just enough to get the juices flowing. :lol: :lol:
Blake Kollker

Blakekollker.com
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: I know something you don't know!

by Robin Garr » Thu May 03, 2007 6:44 am

bdkollker wrote:I have from reliable information (myself) that there might be a show on food network soon about this delicious creation.

That would be my understanding also. (ahem ... )
Next