Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

BrianW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Behind Enemy Lines in the 9th District

Little to say about new Clarksville restaurants

by BrianW » Tue May 01, 2007 12:19 pm

Just read the latest on tenants coming soon to Veterans Parkway area later this year, the link is below. Not much to say, a $tarbucks and a Pizza Hut :evil: . Did note that possibly a bookstore may open, though no mention of what chain. Did you know that excepting the Waldens in Greentree Mall, there are no bookstores in all of southern Indiana? Besides a few small indy/used sellers, you have to go up to Indianapolis area to find a large one (minus a tiny Waldens in Columbus IN). Borders and B & N would be fine with me, don't care much for BAM.

Back to the article, what is a GFS store? I know there's one on Hurstbourne, never been inside. Is it a club store like Sams?

http://www.news-tribune.net/local/local ... 11624.html

Regards,
Brian
Liberalism is a 'no brainer'.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Tue May 01, 2007 12:38 pm

There is already a frakin starbucks across the road. This is why I hate that chain so much.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

Re: Little to say about new Clarksville restaurants

by Steve Magruder » Tue May 01, 2007 12:58 pm

BrianW wrote:Did note that possibly a bookstore may open, though no mention of what chain. Did you know that excepting the Waldens in Greentree Mall, there are no bookstores in all of southern Indiana? Besides a few small indy/used sellers, you have to go up to Indianapolis area to find a large one (minus a tiny Waldens in Columbus IN). Borders and B & N would be fine with me, don't care much for BAM.

Totally agreed on BAM. As I do web programming and marketing work for a local author, it's hard for us not to trip on a conversation where we're bashing BAM for its "Stack 'em high, Top sellers only" approach that all but neglects niche subjects and local authors. A bookstore experience should be a lot more like the Borders or B & N experience, in large form, or the more nook-y small shops that used to be common. A bookstore should be like a very comfortable library, IMHO.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Tue May 01, 2007 1:00 pm

MikeG wrote:There is already a frakin starbucks across the road. This is why I hate that chain so much.

Yes, one could say that Starbucks is metastasizing.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Tue May 01, 2007 1:00 pm

Well, the Courier has been reporting over time that Indiana approved five or six more liquor licenses for Veteran's Parkway and none of those fall into that category.

I have heard a BW3's and a Chili's, but haven't gotten a confirmation on either.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Tue May 01, 2007 1:08 pm

I know it's not Clarksville, but there is a nice bookstore on Spring Street in New Albany called "Destinations!"
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Tue May 01, 2007 1:42 pm

Heather L wrote:I know it's not Clarksville, but there is a nice bookstore on Spring Street in New Albany called "Destinations!"

I've heard that it's a pretty good store. Their percentage of revenue take on books they sell for local authors is too high. Otherwise, I'm glad they're there.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue May 01, 2007 2:03 pm

GFS = Gordon's Food Service.

Really an excellent store. Large quantities, but not nearly as large as Sam's or Costco. Limited selection, at least much smaller than Sam's or Costco. Quite good frozen products. I buy their caramel to run trhough my chocolate fountain, making a (tada) caramel fountain.

Someone else can comment on their corporate citizenship.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Tue May 01, 2007 4:49 pm

"Back to the article, what is a GFS store? I know there's one on Hurstbourne, never been inside. Is it a club store like Sams? "

GFS stands for Gordon Food Services as Leah says. GFS delivers to food service places and is a competitor of Sysco.

No minimum purchase and no charge for "belonging". Prices and quality are good. Across from Lowes on Hurstbourne Lane.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

Ubiquitous Starbucks

by Lonnie Turner » Tue May 01, 2007 8:35 pm

MikeG wrote:There is already a frakin starbucks across the road. This is why I hate that chain so much.

The archway entrance to the Canterbury Cathedral in England has a Starbucks hugging up on it just on the right.
Really.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue May 01, 2007 8:48 pm

The Starbucks at Central Station looked like it was about to open a few days ago, so I'm thinking it may be open by now. Anyone noticed?
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed May 02, 2007 12:18 am

Steve Magruder wrote:
Heather L wrote:I know it's not Clarksville, but there is a nice bookstore on Spring Street in New Albany called "Destinations!"

I've heard that it's a pretty good store. Their percentage of revenue take on books they sell for local authors is too high. Otherwise, I'm glad they're there.

The first full-service bookstore in NA in, say, 50 years -- and yet still a niggling criticism.

Sometimes I want to scream.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Wed May 02, 2007 1:40 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
Steve Magruder wrote:

The first full-service bookstore in NA in, say, 50 years -- and yet still a niggling criticism.

Sometimes I want to scream.

I don't know of anything in life that can escape criticism. It's not as if the store will have any problems due to my concerns.

I said "I'm glad they're there" -- This is appreciation.

Note that there's a rationale behind what I said. I am not making up what I'm talking about. An author friend told me that they extract a very high percentage from authors who sell through them. Maybe this is what they need to do to stay in business, I don't know.

The percentage I heard made me want to scream too. But as long as they are doing good things for the community overall, they get my support.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Wed May 02, 2007 6:34 am

What is it with Southern Indiana and the lack of independant restaurants? Is the overhead just so high that only corp chains can afford to go in or what? It seems that with such an obvious absence of mom & pop restaurants that someone would want to fill that need. There used to be a good mexican/latin restaurant in front of Value City - near Apple Annie's- but that's gone; everything else is a chain. WUWT? :?:
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed May 02, 2007 8:40 am

carla griffin wrote:What is it with Southern Indiana and the lack of independant restaurants? Is the overhead just so high that only corp chains can afford to go in or what? It seems that with such an obvious absence of mom & pop restaurants that someone would want to fill that need. There used to be a good mexican/latin restaurant in front of Value City - near Apple Annie's- but that's gone; everything else is a chain. WUWT? :?:

Sorry, but this isn't true. RockWall, Bistro New Albany, La Rosita's, Federal Hill Cafe, Onion, Comeback Inn, Mai's Thai ... these are just the places that I drop most of my paycheck monthly. Another, Connor's Place in New Albany, is opening this Friday. Time to get a second job.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
Next