Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Live music at BMCH

by Leah S » Tue May 01, 2007 11:47 am

Tonight and tomorrow, 6 pm - 9 pm, Ron Jones and trio. Just FYI
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue May 01, 2007 11:49 am

We'll, I've lived here a long time and know my way around but I have no idea what BMCH is :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 01, 2007 12:21 pm

Brian Curl wrote:We'll, I've lived here a long time and know my way around but I have no idea what BMCH is :lol:

I'm guessing Blue Mountain Coffee House, across East Main from Slugger Field. Leah might want to confirm that, though.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue May 01, 2007 1:59 pm

Correct! BMCH = Blue Mountain Coffee House.

Totally one of my favorite places in Louisville.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue May 01, 2007 2:21 pm

... and Ron is probably the best jazz musician in Louisville (ok, if you listen to a lot of jazz I'm sure that would start an argument, but you know what I mean).
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue May 01, 2007 2:29 pm

I don't think BMCH has yet achieved such name recognition :lol:

However, I did give them a try about a month ago and was pretty disappointed in the Java. It is more of a french press prep with the coffee. I got a small which was about 12oz I guess and the owner used a small teaspoon of the coffee. My prep would have been two tablespoons. Needless to say, the finished coffee was very weak and translucent.

I will stop again soon for a second observation to see if it has improved.

On a side note, I did purchase a small bag of the blue mountain coffee. I prepared it at home in my drip machine and it was very good, much better than the prep at the store.
Last edited by Brian Curl on Tue May 01, 2007 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue May 01, 2007 2:34 pm

To add, I know that coffee is expensive, but if you don't use the proper amount to make a good cup in order to save money customers will not return. It is interesting how such a simple first impression can dictate whether or not a customer thinks you are serving a good product. For me to go out of my way or to make the trek downtown I needed to be "wowed" by the product and excited by the product. When it is way below avg it makes you forget about the place.

However, BMCH has a very nice environment, just don't skimp on the coffee would be my advice.
no avatar
User

Kara Lewis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:34 am

Louisville, KY

by Kara Lewis » Tue May 01, 2007 3:52 pm

Some of my friends and I have a knitting group that has been hanging out there once a week for a while now. All the food we've had (which is almost everything on the menu, I think) has been great. I'm not a coffee drinker AT ALL, but the beer and wine list is fantastic for a coffee shop.
no avatar
User

Jeremy Mott

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:46 pm

Butchertown

by Jeremy Mott » Tue May 01, 2007 3:58 pm

Had a similar experinence, Brian. First visit was "to-go" and was "high mountain?" which was some sort of blend between moderate priced coffee and Blue Mountain. The coffee was a literal hybrid and came from two automatic machines. Great!

Second experience ("drink-in") was, as you described, French press, Blue Mountain. It was weak. Not correct ratio, plain and simple.

So, they're one-and-one in my book.
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

Great.. so far

by Jon K » Tue May 01, 2007 4:19 pm

As they say, that's what makes horse races. I've had coffee at BMCH 8 or 10 times and I thought each of them was very good. The individual french press for non-espresso drinks is tedious, but I'm never in too great a rush. I know Nicholas has been breaking in some baristas so maybe that contributed.
Last edited by Jon K on Wed May 02, 2007 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue May 01, 2007 4:29 pm

Nicholas was actually the only one there on my visit and made my coffee. So he was the barista.
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jon K » Tue May 01, 2007 4:36 pm

Another great hypothesis worth everything that was paid for it.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue May 01, 2007 4:45 pm

Are you saying I am making a guess? I spoke to him and he introduced himself and we had a conversation.

Of course your post makes no sense so I am not sure what accusation you are making.
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Easy does it

by Jon K » Tue May 01, 2007 4:53 pm

Sorry, I guess my sense of humor was a little more dense than usual. I was referring to my theory that someone besides Nicholas had made the coffee and how I was wrong. No accusation, just some self-deprecation.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue May 01, 2007 4:54 pm

Just for reference, I consider my self a student of the coffee trade and industry and I consider myself a connoisseur of java. I've frequented most all of the popular major independent coffee houses in town, Heine, Sunergos, Highland, Java, have bought all of their coffees for home consumption and I have a $1000 super auto machine.

So, I am not an avg Mcdonald's java drinker :lol:
Last edited by Brian Curl on Tue May 01, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next