Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: La Rosita

by Robin Garr » Tue May 01, 2007 3:37 pm

John R. wrote:SO, La Rosita poisoned me, unintentionally. Also poisoned a friend, TWICE. She didn't learn the first time. Stomach of steel or not, it's hard to fight the poison.

Unless you reported this to the health department and they ran tests to confirm the source of your stomach ailment, I would be very, very cautious about making potentially actionable statements like this on a public forum. It's all too easy to blame a restaurant for a coincidental stomach virus or other issue, and very wrong to make your own circumstantial diagnosis and then air it widely. You may *think* that you can relate your problem to the place where you ate, but absent extensive testing, you could be wrong, and could be making an unfortunate, if unintentional, slur against an innocent victim.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue May 01, 2007 3:41 pm

John R. wrote:
Erin Riedel wrote:If you really want to get out of town, try Marimba in Shelbyville. The food is great and they have a nice deck for outdoor dining.

Never heard of it, need to try it. There used to be one on Brownboro by that name but it is long gone and so is the place that replaced it.

I'm 99% certain it's the same folks. The one in Louisville never caught on, but the Shelbyville version is hugely popular. It's very casual, and quite crowded on most nights. Well worth a quick drive to Shelby County!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 01, 2007 3:53 pm

TP Lowe wrote:I'm 99% certain it's the same folks.

Make that 100 percent. It was indeed the same folks. Really surprised me that it didn't catch on here, but perhaps there's not enough Latino population in that neighborhood to provide a base?
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Tue May 01, 2007 4:06 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
John R. wrote:SO, La Rosita poisoned me, unintentionally. Also poisoned a friend, TWICE. She didn't learn the first time. Stomach of steel or not, it's hard to fight the poison.

Unless you reported this to the health department and they ran tests to confirm the source of your stomach ailment, I would be very, very cautious about making potentially actionable statements like this on a public forum. It's all too easy to blame a restaurant for a coincidental stomach virus or other issue, and very wrong to make your own circumstantial diagnosis and then air it widely. You may *think* that you can relate your problem to the place where you ate, but absent extensive testing, you could be wrong, and could be making an unfortunate, if unintentional, slur against an innocent victim.

What would that do? I guess one couldn't "make up" a story about going to the health department on a forum that is almost impossible to prove anything on? How much would that hurt a restaurant? I may be foolish with my post but at least I am honest and didn't bash the restaurant at all. Food was good.

Let's say I did go to the health department. Do you typically allow written evidence on your forum? Come on now. Do you really want that can of worms opened? Since this is an internet forum no person could confirm or deny that I am even real much less believe "evidence" presented. Can you show me a forum with confirmed sources besides the forum masters additions, which in many cases forum masters info is unconfirmed as well? My opinions about food are welcome but my opinion about food poison is not? Do I need written scientific reports and proof every time I think a restaurants food is awful or good? Does a slur about bad food hurt a restaurant less or more than food poisoning? Should I assume people to be more logical than me to understand that this is an occurance that happens to all restaurants but is far from the norm? Should I assume by using the word "unintentional" that people understand that a great many restaurants, if not all, have had similar experiences with tainted food and this restaurant wasn't trying to be malicious?

I think we can all agree that all restaurants from one time or another have unintentionally poisoned someone and that we can all agree that food poisoning is something that goes with the territory of EATING? Not just at a restaurant but in the home? I am not going to apply the scientific method everytime I eat and get a little sick. It comes with the territory. I am going to do the less involved inspection and point at the restaurant if this happens. I will call the establishment and work it out as I did with La Rosita and if they get enough calls similar, I will contribute to the science so that they can find the root of the problem. I am pretty sure that I am the vast minority of those who have become sick and through no science at all implicated the restaurant? Based on this forum, I have to believe that I am one of very few. I am one and there are already 3 on the forum who didn't have a similar reaction to whatever happened. I think La Rosita is pretty safe from my "attacks".

But I understand why you as the operator would be concerned with this type of thing on your forum so, I will say the PC thing. La Rosita was good. I was sick after that but am not sure if it was the food or an ailment other than food poisoning although a friend visited twice in 2 months and was sick both times but is unconfirmed as being related to the restaurant.

Hear all, believe nothing.
Last edited by John R. on Tue May 01, 2007 4:25 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Tue May 01, 2007 4:07 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:I'm 99% certain it's the same folks.

Make that 100 percent. It was indeed the same folks. Really surprised me that it didn't catch on here, but perhaps there's not enough Latino population in that neighborhood to provide a base?

I didnt really like the twist they had. It was a little different from the norm but it wasn't to my liking. Oh well.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 01, 2007 4:28 pm

John R. wrote:I am not going to apply the scientific method everytime I eat and get a little sick. It comes with the territory. I am going to do the less involved inspection and point at the restaurant if this happens.

John, the bottom line is that we're all competent to report whether we liked the food at a restaurant or not. We are not competent to diagnose food poisoning and trace it to a specific source. This doesn't require a long dissertation, it's pretty simple.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue May 01, 2007 4:31 pm

John R. wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

Unless you reported this to the health department and they ran tests to confirm the source of your stomach ailment, I would be very, very cautious about making potentially actionable statements like this on a public forum.

I don't think Robin was taking a shot at you, but rather just trying to be helpful by saying "be cautious." We've occasionally had lawyers (Ron?) on the board who seem to confirm the need to be so, even in this setting. I don't know - but it seems to make sense to be careful.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue May 01, 2007 4:35 pm

Symptoms

The symptoms of food poisoning usually affect your stomach and intestines (gastrointestinal tract).

* The first symptom is usually diarrhea.
* Other symptoms include feeling sick to your stomach (nausea), vomiting, and abdominal cramps.

The time it takes for symptoms to appear, how severe the symptoms are, and how long the symptoms last depend on the infecting organism, your age, and your overall health.

The very young and the very old may be most affected by food poisoning. Their symptoms may last longer, and even the types of food poisoning that are typically mild can be life-threatening. This may also be true for pregnant women and people with impaired immune systems, such as those with long-lasting (chronic) illnesses.

Not all food poisoning results in diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal cramps. Some types of food poisoning have different or more severe symptoms:

* Clostridium botulinum (botulism) produces toxins that paralyze the nerves and the muscles. Botulism symptoms usually begin 18 to 36 hours after eating contaminated foods and include weakness and double vision. Paralysis progresses from the head to the rest of the body.
* Toxoplasmosis often has no symptoms, or the symptoms are flu-like. You may have swollen lymph glands or muscle aches and pains that last for a few days to several weeks. Toxoplasmosis is dangerous to a pregnant woman and her fetus. For more information, see the topic Toxoplasmosis During Pregnancy.
* Listeriosis causes fever, muscle aches, and sometimes nausea or diarrhea. If the infection spreads to the brain and nervous system, then symptoms such as headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance, or convulsions can occur. A pregnant woman may experience only a mild, flu-like illness. Infections during pregnancy can lead to premature delivery, serious infection of the newborn, or even stillbirth.
* E. coli O157:H7 infection can cause serious complications, such as severe blood and kidney problems, in children younger than 5 years and adults older than 65. For more information, see the topic E. coli Infection.
* Salmonellosis may last more than a week and require hospitalization.
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Tue May 01, 2007 4:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
John R. wrote:I am not going to apply the scientific method everytime I eat and get a little sick. It comes with the territory. I am going to do the less involved inspection and point at the restaurant if this happens.

John, the bottom line is that we're all competent to report whether we liked the food at a restaurant or not. We are not competent to diagnose food poisoning and trace it to a specific source. This doesn't require a long dissertation, it's pretty simple.

OK. I was SICK after eating at La Rosita. I have the competency to identify both, that I was sick and that it was after I ate there. How does that change the implication to those reading it on a forum? I just led them more. You mean I shouldn't be so leading?

I understand what you mean. You are looking out for me and that's cool. Looking out for you as well. I appologize for the definitive slandering that can be used in a court of law. :P
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Tue May 01, 2007 4:50 pm

TP Lowe wrote:
John R. wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

Unless you reported this to the health department and they ran tests to confirm the source of your stomach ailment, I would be very, very cautious about making potentially actionable statements like this on a public forum.

I don't think Robin was taking a shot at you, but rather just trying to be helpful by saying "be cautious." We've occasionally had lawyers (Ron?) on the board who seem to confirm the need to be so, even in this setting. I don't know - but it seems to make sense to be careful.

Oh I know, I like to sing rhetoric with Robin. He is very good at controlled speech, much better than me so as a learner I practice against him. It's not the first time he has bested me in a battle of words. It's good learning with him. I always think I have hit all the topics and thought of everything and I dont quite get it all. I knew what he was saying was correct and should be followed but I still wanted to twist it up and turn it upside down with multiple perceptions to see how he would react. Trying to push but he never pushes back. He is good.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Tue May 01, 2007 5:07 pm

Cinco de Mayo -> food poisoning. Hehe, not exactly my intention for the topic, but hey, that's what makes life fun.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Wed May 02, 2007 1:27 am

I liked La Rosita. Food was good. I like the way they do salsa but the first time I went there I was up all night casting food poison into the toilet via my face hole. It was also my last time."

Did you by any chance drink the water? :mrgreen:
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Wed May 02, 2007 6:54 am

Keeping with this string....
I am one of the purveyors for most of the El Nopals and El Nopalitos in Louisville and Indiana. Having been in the restaurants - both front and back of the house - at different times of the day I can attest to their EXTREME attention to cleanliness. The floors are kept swept/mopped constantly throughout the day, food prep areas are neat and clean and I sell them a ton of hair nets. They do a great job of keeping their stock rotated and up to date ; I never have to pick up out of date food stuffs. In general, their managers/owners are real pros. They are very demanding in their search for quality
On top of all that ...they are all so very nice. May not sound like much of a compliment to the rest of you but believe me, their professionalism and courteousness is exemplary. If this chain ever goes public I'm buying stock in them! :!:
Oh yeah...almost forgot...very good food if a bit americanized for the rest of us a bit.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Wed May 02, 2007 11:42 am

Steve Magruder wrote:Cinco de Mayo -> food poisoning. Hehe, not exactly my intention for the topic, but hey, that's what makes life fun.

It was actually on how we say things rather than food poisoning. Had Robin said what he said in his last post, I had no argument. But he didn't, so I did. The first one being forums and subterfuge. The second one on how people describe restaurants as good, bad, wonderful, or awful. Though a great many will talk about their experience as great, wonderful yada, there are a few that will say a restaurant is bad. Just like a diagnosis, we are not competent enough to say whether or not a restaurant is wonderful or awful. Liking something is a cold hard fact. Robin's advice in his last post was solid and based on consequence but it wasn't really my argument. Now I wouldnt be surprised if Robin, based on my experience with him, to advise a person not to say a restaurant is BAD but rather their experience was bad. I know he doesn't advise caution when it's positive. That's a big fat duh, but it's something to think about. Probably not for this forum but eh.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 02, 2007 11:48 am

John R. wrote:Now I wouldnt be surprised if Robin, based on my experience with him, to advise a person not to say a restaurant is BAD but rather their experience was bad. I know he doesn't advise caution when it's positive. That's a big fat duh, but it's something to think about. Probably not for this forum but eh.

Naw, it depends on the situation. Some restaurants really are bad. Denny's, for instance. Or Cheddar's. Or the family run restaurant in Cuzco where I <i>think</i> it was the homemade mayo that gave me Quetzalcoatl's Revenge.
PreviousNext